Welcome! Introduce Yourself

Options
Hello and welcome to the Group! Today I begin my 50 in 50 challenge to myself. I'm sure hoping to find others to share this journey. My goal is to develop new habits (exercise, water, good nutrition) so I can enjoy life and do the things I love to do. I love how Jim Carrey put it:

"50 years: here's a time when you have to separate yourself from what other people expect of you, and do what you love. Because if you find yourself 50 years old and you aren't doing what you love, then what's the point?"
- Jim Carrey

What are you hoping to accomplish in 2012?

Replies

• Louellayoungbauer
    Options
    Hi...my name is Louella and I turned 50 in November. I have no problem with turning 50 in fact I embrass it. I like my self but would like to weigh less so I will feel great and have the energy to do things I enjoy like hiking and other such activities that involve nature. I don't really want to lsoe 50 pounds but 30 pounds would be good. That would bring to down to 135 which I would be happy with. I lost 8 pounds last summer using MyFitnessPal but gained it back over the Holidays. I know I can lose it again because the program works. You just have to do it!!!! When I lose it again I would like to continue to lose and not gain it back next Holiday season. This is why i decided to join your group. I've never joined any kind of online group before so we'll see how it goes.
  • durkinm
    Options
    What a perfect group for me! I just turned 50 in November and am looking to lose 57 lbs.! I think it'll be easier than waiting until I am 60 to lose 60-70 lbs.! I like the idea of this group because I'm sure we all face similar challenges to our fitness goals that manifest themselves due to our age. Having had 2 back surgeries has been a factor. I hope this group is mutually beneficial in keeping us all motivated.

For 2012 I should be able to lose all the weight I need to. Even at the recommended 1 lb. per week pace would result in 52 lbs.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    I'm so glad you both replied. Sounds like we do have some things in common. Like you, "durkinm" I figure I can reach my goal at a 1lb a week as well - very do-able!

And Louella, I'm right with you in wanting to make the kind of lifestyle changes that ensure I won't be re-gaining anything! Next year at this time we can start a new group, "Maintaining in my 50's" :)
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 53 years old and have lost and gained back weight several times. I started working out in the gym to build muscle beginning last may, and though I lost inches, and pounds at first, my weight loss stalled. I joined MFP the last of November, and did the December weight loss challenge. I met that challenge barely, having exercised 6x per week doing cardio as well as 2x per week in weight training. Boy the weight just doesnt come off like it used to! I am looking forward to being a part of this group in order to find out some food strategies that may help me to achieve the goal of losing 60 lbs this next year. I particularly am excited about joining this group because you all know the struggle I have described, and perhaps together we can encourage and educate each other to weight loss victory.
  • MACNana2
    MACNana2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi! Call me MAC. I am 52 years old and the Nana to two wonderful but very active young boys! I do not have 50 pounds to lose, but have the goal of losing between 30 to 40 pounds. I started at 220 pounds in 2007. I have kept off 40 pounds but gained back 30 pounds. I had a set back with my mom being severely ill for 3 months and me unable to exercise since I was taking care of her. My mother is stable and I do not want to end up like her in 18 years.

I plan on exercising 3 to 5 times per week with Zumba and getting back to walking on the off days. I hope to start back to toning within the month. I am going to make better food choices and increase my water intake. Support of each other will be a big part of this process. I will need help staying on-task since I often allow work, family, and life get in the way of my needs.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Hi Mac. Good for you for keeping the 40 off! I'm glad your mom is stable now. I know being a caretaker can wear us out.

Sounds like we can help each other getting the workouts in. My goal is to use my elliptical machine 30 mins. 5-6 x's per week.

I got one in today - that's a start! :)
  • avidreaderj
    Options
    Hi. I'm a 58 year old grandma and I actually need to lose more like 70-80 pounds. I will be very happy with 1 lb/week. The older you get, the harder it is, but we can all do it. I'm very good at making excuses why I don't do it, but I know very well that I can do anything I really set my mind to. We all can! Positive thinking really works. I hope we can all support each other. It'll be great having people we can chat with when we get down. We can all work to bring each other back up and remind us why we want to lose this weight. I want to get my energy back and I know with every pound I lose, some of that will come back.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Welcome "avid" May I call you avid? :)

I know what you mean about making excuses - I almost talked myself out of starting today. I'm sooooooo glad I didn't. We can do this - one pound at a time, one week at a time - and we'll get that energy back.
  • yolste07
    yolste07 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 53 years of age. I need to lose 88 poundsl. This is the biggest I have ever been in my life. I am looking forward to being a part of the 50 by 50 group. I have been off my regular exercise routine for the month of December I just did a lot of walking. I will start back at the gym this week. Happy New Year's to everyone
  • schillerjay
    schillerjay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will turn 60 in February. When I was 50 I weighed 158 pounds . I had a goal of losing pounds and I joined WW and lost 54 pounds..... I was so happy with myself and loved the way I looked. Over the last 9 years I have gradually put it all back on. Today (1/1/2012) I weigh 262 pounds and filling out my 42 inch waist size pants. I hate it. I want to lose 60 pounds and get back down to around 200 and a 35 inch waist . I am retiring in June and I want to get myself fit and healthy so i can live a long and healthy life to enjoy my retirement. I know this will not be easy but i have done it before so I know that I (we) can do it. Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!!!
  • Erin51
    Erin51 Posts: 35
    Options
    As I got closer to 50, I thought of Linda Evans from the old Dynasty show and how hot she was at 50. I was determined to be like her! Well, I kept my useless habits and kept on gaining weight. At my heaviest this past spring, I hit 248 lbs. I joined a gym with my husband and am currently at 225 lbs. For my 51st birthday this past November, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. The price you pay for not paying attention to your lifestyle is a disease that will cause multiple problems if not acknowledged and controlled. So, here I am ready to make the rest of my life memorable and healthy! I am so happy to find a group that could be experiencing similar issues related to our age! Best wishes to everyone's health journey :smile:
  • dorothy58
    Options
    Hi I am a 52 year old Grandmom that needs apportion to lose at least 50 lbs. I have lost only to regain it back. I recently found out I have A gluten intolerance. And am looking for support in losing weight while staying away from all gluten ptoducts.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Hi Dorothy - welcome aboard! My daugher is 20 and we found out a few months ago she also has a gluten intolerance. She and I have been on a search for gluten-free products and recipes. I'll be happy to share them (the good ones) as we come up with them. Please feel free to do the same.
  • yosem
    yosem Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, This is a great group for inspiration. I am a 51 year old woman with ... yes you guessed right... 50 lbs to loose. I am about to hit 200 lbs and this is the heaviest I've been. I want to make 2012 the year I turn things around. This is important to me because I want to be healthier, have better mobility and be more active. I am pre-diabetic now & my joints are telling me I need to loose the weight. I started this December in MFP and the whole business of logging in my food intake is new to me. (It sure is an eye opener) I am hoping to change into better eating habits and definitelly become more active. I would love to have you all as friends for inspiration, strength and support. I am here for you too.
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello all !! I'm so glad to find a group of people in my age bracket!! I'm 51, and recently I stumbled across this site after determining I've GOT to lose weight! Boy am I glad I did ! ! I found it just before Thanksgiving, tried it for a week, took a break during the week of Thanksgiving, and came back more determined than ever! :) I've had a few problems with my knees and hips, and the clothes have gotten WAY too tight on me. It's time for me to get fit and healthy, and honestly, I want to look good in clothes for a change!

I'm hoping to lose 50 pounds in the next 6 months (or so), and have joined another group that's doing a Jillian Michael's DVD (30 day shred) for the next 60 days. I've found that DVD, as well as a couple of the P90 DVDs (the first ones, before P90X and P90x2) on Amazon for about $5 plus shipping of $3 - and I figure the $8 investment in each one is much less than a gym membership! I've tried each one out, and MAN!! they were tough, but I already feel better and have more energy!! So my idea is that I'll do the exercise DVDs, mix it up a little, once a day and watch/track my caloric intake, and see how it goes. I am excited to do this, and so thankful for the support I've already been blessed with here on this site.

Feel free to add me as a friend - and if you do, please send a personal message along with the request. I would love to be encouraging to you on your journey, and would also appreciate your encouragement as well.

Happy New Year!!! :)
  • countrybell7
    countrybell7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greetings and Happy New Year!

I started using this site and I find I really like it. I need the support of a group to get healthy. Please add me as your friend so we can support each other daily. I use my droid phone more than the computer so the news feed works best.

Let me introduce myself. I'm 53 and have been struggling with weight loss for a while. I have to be on a gluten free diet for Celiac and a low fiber diet for Crohns. Choosing food can be hard sometimes. I have 50-60 lbs to lose. I am a part of First Place 4 Health. I'm using this site for the calorie counting and journaling.

My hobbies include knitting, spinning yarn, horseback riding, backyard chickens, walking my shih tzu, music and reading my kindle.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing victories.
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you both replied. Sounds like we do have some things in common. Like you, "durkinm" I figure I can reach my goal at a 1lb a week as well - very do-able!

And Louella, I'm right with you in wanting to make the kind of lifestyle changes that ensure I won't be re-gaining anything! Next year at this time we can start a new group, "Maintaining in my 50's" :)
    awesome goal
  • joanneonline
    Options
    You all are so very inspiring. I'm wrapping up day 2 feeling very blessed and honestly believing there will be a lot of lighter 50-somethin's out there this time next year. :smile:

Good night and God Bless.
  • Jeannemum
    Options
    Hi.

I am 55 with 5 fabulous grand daughters. I have just lost 5 pounds in my first week (yay) but have a very long way to go. I am thinking around 70lbs. I am expecting this to take time, not like when I was a young pup, and I only had to say diet to lose some weight. Please add me. We can never have to many friends to help us through x
  • Tobybears
    Options
    Hi my name is Jean and I am from Wisconsin. I am 57 and will be 58 in April. I plan on being around for a while so I need to get my butt into gear and lose some of this weight. I had weighed 218 pounds and my knees were really bothering me, it would hurt to get up and off the couch so I started keeping track and have lost weight (but unfortunately gained some back) but my knees don't hurt like they did any more. I have a gazelle that I have in the living room area so I can watch my TV and do my exercise. I do usually 20 minutes a day. I also have Leslie Sansone tapes and when I don't feel like doing the gazelle I will walk a mile or 2. Good luck to everyone, as said, it will be a little slower but it sure makes you feel good.