Not so pro swimmers challenge/help?

Options
Hey everyone.

I want to do a mini triathlon this year so my goal is to improve my 400m time as this is the swim part of the triathlon.

I thought I was a strong swimmer(all be it a casual one) until I looked up the average times and realised how slow I am.

So I am working on improving technique, getting faster and improving that time. If anyone wants to join me in the challlenge I would love to hear from you.

I'm at about 11mins for 400M usually breast stroke but will switch to front crawl because I think this will speed me up.

Also any advice or tips always welcome.

Replies

• spottedlee
    Options
    build strong arms and legs. Get kickboard and work many laps on just legs alone. Do same for arms, get those hand paddle (not fin) and work on that alone, no kicking. In time you should be stronger to pull faster as you swim. You didn't say when is the triathlon. when?
  • SarahZ1997
    Options
    Some advice since I was a swimming and triathlete coach. Practice swimming just freestyle. You know you will be swimming a 400 , so the first thing you should work on is building your endurance. And with that, your technique. When is your race? And is it in a pool or open water? These are important questions that can help you with your training. Most triathletes use their arms mostly and save the legs for bike and run. I would recommend the hand paddles only if you have good technique. Let me know if I can help in any way! Good luck!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    build strong arms and legs. Get kickboard and work many laps on just legs alone. Do same for arms, get those hand paddle (not fin) and work on that alone, no kicking. In time you should be stronger to pull faster as you swim. You didn't say when is the triathlon. when?

thanks, it is not until August so I have plenty of time.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    Options

thanks, it is not until August so I have plenty of time.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    Options
    Some advice since I was a swimming and triathlete coach. Practice swimming just freestyle. You know you will be swimming a 400 , so the first thing you should work on is building your endurance. And with that, your technique. When is your race? And is it in a pool or open water? These are important questions that can help you with your training. Most triathletes use their arms mostly and save the legs for bike and run. I would recommend the hand paddles only if you have good technique. Let me know if I can help in any way! Good luck!

Thanks for this, it is sort of what I have been doing I know I can do it free style in 11 mins and my technique is poor so I should be able to shave that time easily... I hope.

Also it is in a pool and I think it will be a 25m pool like the one I swim at to practise.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First off, you should be doing fartlek types of workouts in the pool to improve your time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

For now work on it with 100s. Doing 4 x 100 with a 25 sprint somewhere in there.
    Ex:

1 x 100 - 1st 25 hard
    1 x 100 - 2nd 25 hard etc...

Then build up to doing 150s, 200s, and then finally start playing fartlek for 400s. Each time you increase the distance, increase the distance that's supposed to be hard (but you can also start with 25 and build up to longer sprint distances depending how you feel).

And remember that for distance swimming, 90% of your propulsion comes from your arms, and 10% from your legs.