fads/methods/diet programs

Options
So.. who has tried what, and with what success or failure?

Ive done the HCG, with good results, made me much more portion conscious .. but the side affects (heavy period) caused me to stop. Ive done the 3-day detox with jointhereboot.com which I like a lot.. but with so much going on in my life that is distracting food-wise its hard to stick to past a few days.

The 1200 calorie diet just doesnt seem to give me the results to keep me motivated.. so Ill prob. do a half reboot-juice and half lo-cal.

Replies

• DancingAppy
    DancingAppy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never tried any particular program. I tend to "pick and choose" from diet methods. But right now I'm interested in the Paleo diet, but will probably keep dairy. See, even then I'm picking and choosing. I'd never be able to follow a strict diet program...
  • wehrlegirl
    Options
    I was thinking about the Paleo.. I think they promote it through Crossfit, my only concern was I tried the South Beach diet when it first came out and I gained 10 lbs... I think too much protein. I just did my daily intake and there was a lot of protein.
  • DancingAppy
    DancingAppy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the hard thing is figuring out what is best for you. I know for myself, I know I do best on a lot of protein, supplemented with good fats, lots of dark green veggies, and light on the fruit and carbs. I do best gluten free. So I think the paleo diet will be a good fit.

Other people do best on mostly carbs.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am going to STOP the sugar/things that are white and move more.

I used to be really diligent about what I put in my mouth, I have been really slack in the last year. I dumped the "bringing me down' boyfriend. and am starting fresh!
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Although I haven't had much luck losing weight, I learned to knit this year, and that helps me eat less. If I watch a movie or something, it keeps my hands busy so I don't snack.

So far adding in more protein and exercise has helped with my hunger and made it easier to stick to my 1350 calories a day, but not with the weight loss.

I got a lot of great suggestions on my thread in CotH, but I'm trying to read up on them before diving right in. I'm kind of nerdy and anal retentive, so I like to plan my strategies carefully. And I also pick and choose like DancingAppy :)
  • shadytrake
    shadytrake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow any diets because I like fruits, veggies, and whole grains already. My main problem is activity. My work life is 99% on the computer and I am doing my MBA online so my private time is now a lot online too.

Since I got promoted in October, I am now working virtually at home with a flex-schedule. The plan is to use the flexibility to get active. I already ride 2 times during the week and 1-2 times on the weekend.

Now I need to ramp up the cardio. I need motivation without adding cost. Short-term plan is to take my very energetic min-pin on a lunch-time walk 3 days during the week.

This may sound gross, but I am starting the new year with a colon cleanse because I just feel bloated and full. I've never done one, but I figured it might be a good idea to try.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    Short-term plan is to take my very energetic min-pin on a lunch-time walk 3 days during the week.

That's a great idea. My dog LOVES our walks and when it gets close to walking time she always lets me know. Hard to ignore those furry little reminders! :)
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I am not into fad diets and anything that is too extreme turns me off. What has worked for me is not eating carbs at night (from my South Beach days), portion control (nothing bigger than my palm unless it is a vegetable) and being more active.

When I had my office job I would walk at lunch. Even 20 minutes made a difference.
    And I do a Beachbody program at home. That way there is a plan that provides me with structure, plus I can work out when I want to be it 5 am or 9pm.
    Since my life got so crazy this last year I stopped working out. I am restarting now.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have tried all of them. Commercial diets, ultra low calorie, cleanses, shakes, pills, you name it. Most (except the pills, they did NOTHING) had short term losses followed by an immediate regain as soon as I tried to go back to my old normal habits.

You should focus yourself on your long term goals. Don't think about where you want to be in 3 months. Think about where you want to be in 3 years and beyond. Rapid weight loss rarely leads to a sustained healthy weight.

I learned my philosophy from a podcast called Fat2Fit Radio. Go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to the audio clip called "The F2F Philosophy".
  • rustbreeches
    Options
    I am getting rid of the soda and juice I knock back every day. Last time I did that I pulled weight really fast. Also going to exercise every day!! I am going to make that 30 min count! Trying to get some of the carbs out of my diet, but another New YEars Resolution was to spend less at the grocery store and eat down to the bottom of the pantry, so I have quite a bit of rice and rice noodles to get through