Gluten-Free alternatives to pasta?

Options
DancingAppy
DancingAppy Posts: 12 Member
I can give up bread, crackers, etc with no problems, but pasta is the hardest. Does anyone have any good alternatives? I have come across any GF pastas.

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There are lots of rice-based pastas around. There are also corn based ones and quinoa/corn based ones.

If you are completely grain free or looking for some other options, the best place to shop is the Asian grocer. Bean thread noodles, shiritaki noodles, sweet potato noodles, tapioca or arrowroot noodles, etc.

Other possibilities are kelp or seaweed noodles at your natural food store, spiralized vegetables, thin-sliced zucchini, or spaghetti squash.

Most often, when I am making rice-based pasta for my son, I make a baked potato for myself and put the sauce on that. I am grain-free.

Pam
  • DancingAppy
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I know the Asian grocer in my town has closed its doors but I think there is another one a few towns over.

I like the potato idea, I love potatoes. Also want to try the quinoa/corn ones too.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    GF son likes the corn/quiona ones. Me not so much. I like the brown rice Tykiyada ones.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am grain free so I enjoy Shirataki, spaghetti squash, and just this morning I found a recipe for flax pasta here: http://realsustenance.com/flax-pasta-paleo-glutengraincornsoydairy-free/
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I like the tinkyada brand as well as trader joe's. Both are brown rice pastas. I also like asian rice noodles.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash, almost more than actual pasta!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Looks like there are some good recipes on that site. Thanks.

Pam
    I am grain free so I enjoy Shirataki, spaghetti squash, and just this morning I found a recipe for flax pasta here: http://realsustenance.com/flax-pasta-paleo-glutengraincornsoydairy-free/
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Don't know what your usual stores are; our local grocery stores have started carrying several GF pastas, mostly rice-based ones. We also have a health food store that sells a wide variety of GF products. I've tried some corn pastas lately that I prefer over the rice ones, actually. I prefer their texture.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Try the Shirataki noodles....No cholesterol, No trans fat, Vegan, Gluten Free, Very very low calorie and carbohydrate content...great for ppl who are hungry all the time and Diabetics...They R also called the miracle noodles.....They R a great noodle substitute by hungry Girl...Can be used in soups, stir fry's, casseroles and pasta dishes.....Most of all GUILT FREE.....
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    In love my rice pasta. Giving it up mostly for calories as I have ton kick it in to high gear.....but I use it to make spaghetti, lasagna, mac and cheese, pasta salad. EVERYTHING!
  • spinal77
    spinal77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The Tinkyada rice ones are the best, honestly. Just make sure you follow the cooking instructions on the back to the letter.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    Hey guys,

I just tried Trader Joe's Brown Rice Pasta for the first time last night. It was alright last night, but when I reheated the leftovers for lunch this morning they were very sticky- and kind of soggy. Has anyone else run into this problem?
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Trader Joe's has corn pasta that tastes really, really good. My parents didn't notice the difference from regular pasta. And we're Italian! :)
  • DancingAppy
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll have to check out the closest Trader Joe's (about 30 minutes).

Are the Tinkyada rice noodles at TJ's? Or Asian markets? The grocery stores near me are the main ones, ie Albertson's, Von's, etc.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I love the Ancient Harvest pastas!!!! They are made with quinoa (sp) and corn and my family can't even tell the difference.

Anita
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been using chick peas with pasta sauces and don't miss the noodles. Just simmer them in your favorite pasta sauce and use a spoon instead of a fork the tend to roll around a bit I did a batch in peppadew pepper sauce and it was awesome. I plan to start using the dried legumes instead of the canned ones and cook them in a slow cooker to draw up more flavor from the pasta sauces. I will post some recipes when perfected.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am grain free so I go for spaghetti squash, sauteed zucchini strips,shredded cabbage or french green beans in place of pastas.. for my gluten free kids- once in a while I fix them rice noodles or mac and cheese with Quinoa brand shells..it is made from corn and quinoa..tastes really good.
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    most supermarkets in the UK have gluten free pastas. they've come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years, I often use rice noodles as well from asian supermarkets :-) or else I shred lettuce and have it with bolognese sauce and the like. It's way lower in calories!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I just had "Slim Pasta" which is a tofu flour mix noodle. actually pretty good and only 25 calories for a serving. Found it at the Natural Supermarket Earth Fare which is like a Whole Foods
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Buckwheat pasta (be warned, its so good it's addictive!)