Newbie to Yoga

Options
JeSuisPrest
JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
I did it for the first time yesterday. I was hoping it would make me feel less sore. I run the C25K program nearly everyday and the back of my thighs are always sore. I admit, I don't stretch enough and was hoping the yoga would be helpful with that. But as of last night and this morning, I feel even more sore.

Anyone else out there doing the Yoga Meltdown, would love to hear what you think of it and what your experiences are.

Replies

• MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad to come across this group. Actually I just completed my last run for C25K today! I've also been doing the P90X program and absolutely hate the YOGA portion and had started substituting JM Yoga for it instead. So far I like it, I feel it gives me a workout -however with the P90X program I'm only doing Yoga Meltdown once a week.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are using muscles you haven't used in awhile! I'm a little nervous to start tomorrow.... Might have to take a sneak peek today!
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Hello group. Please post what you think about JM Yoga Meltdown. I have not purchased it yet and I'd like to confirm that it is a good or great workout. So many times I have purchased yoga dvds that are not challenging enough for me and I have only taken one yoga class in my life.

Your input is greatly appreciated. MochaBlues - Will you give more detailed input about JM Yoga Meltdown? Thanks!
  • Ebnny07
    Ebnny07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey there ladies!!! I have this disc and will make sure I incorporate it during the evenings!!! Here goes!!!
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    Hello group. Please post what you think about JM Yoga Meltdown. I have not purchased it yet and I'd like to confirm that it is a good or great workout. So many times I have purchased yoga dvds that are not challenging enough for me and I have only taken one yoga class in my life.

Your input is greatly appreciated. MochaBlues - Will you give more detailed input about JM Yoga Meltdown? Thanks!

Well, I've also done Jillian's Shred and Ripped in 30 workouts, and if you've done those two workouts you'll find alot of the moves are repeated in the beginner workout, such as the plank-twists (which are challenging) downward dog, chatarunga (sp) push ups etc.

Ripped in 30 (IMO) was plank-heavy...and you'll find those same moves in Meltdown, Jillian also throws in a few balance moves too. There's a bit of stretching but also alot of strength moves using your own body weight- so it IS challenging.

I've only done the 1st workout so far, but I found that I can still work up a sweat in the 35 minutes with Yoga Meltdown, that I just wasn't getting in my P90X Yoga routines in about half of the time. I like it, and will ultimately move up to the 2nd workout, but for now the 1st is challenging enough for me!

Btw, here's a link to some of the reviews on Amazon for this DVD to give you an idea what others are saying about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-Yoga-Meltdown/product-reviews/B0031XYLWG/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
  • MochaBlues
    Options
    I found this review on Amazon: (NOT ME) However, I think its sums it up pretty fairly...

This review is from: Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown (DVD)

I'm starting from the standpoint of years of yoga practice and having taught Pilates professionally for seven years: needless to say, the boot camp style of "Biggest Loser" isn't exactly what I would go looking for in a yoga tape.

My initial Pilates-teacher bias notwithstanding, this is actually pretty interesting. It takes standard yoga poses and adds repetitions to the movement. What's really smart about it is three things:

1.) The repetitions are movements that don't put a lot of pressure on major joints--you're not moving through the joints in such a way that there is a lot of force, so this isn't likely to cause injury. Specifically, what you're not doing, is rolling through shoulder joints repeatedly, with all your weight on your shoulders, as in most Ashtanga yoga--which does tend to cause injuries.

2.) It's interval training. What that means is that your heart rate goes up and down a lot. Your body, in response, will default to a higher level of calorie burning and oxygen use, so this is a pretty good way to increase metabolism and what we think of as "lung capacity."

3.) It's difficult enough that you don't feel like you're wasting your time. Each workout is only 30 minutes, but it's difficult enough that, if your goal that day is fitness, you're definitely getting your money's worth.

Some negatives: it's filmed on a really bright gym set, which is a little difficult to watch; Jillian doesn't actually do all the poses; sometimes it's hard to see the beginner model when you need to.

Who this is for: experienced yoga folks who want a different kind of more athletic short practice; anyone wanting to add gym-based yoga to their workouts.

Who this is not for: if you have bad wrists, this might be undoable. Your knees also should be good enough to get up and down from the floor without difficulty.

However, this is a fairly safe, more difficult yoga dvd.

Yogi Eric Schiffman has been quoted as saying, "The point with yoga, is to do it a lot." If having another instructor in your dvd rotation, one who isn't airy-fairy, and overly emotional, for days when you just can't go there, then this is worth adding to the mix.
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all this information and more. I will buy it and I'm looking forward to adding it with my weight training.

Happy Holidays! And BEST of luck to you and your fitness goals!
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Hey AliciaD93! - How are your JM Yoga Meltdown workouts going? Please share your experience/s.

I should have the dvd hopefully by the end of the week. I'm excited to add a different way to burn calories while strengthening. I enjoy weight training, but a little variety will be nice. And I struggle with cardio, so I definitely need several ways to burn off fat.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    I read that same review and was excited to see it did get good ratings.

I did my second day today and was encouraged... The first day I was lost... Today I listened more to herald was able to do the.moves without having to look at the tv as much. I really wish I had a heart rate monitor because I am sweating up a storm!
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Hey Fallenangello,

Good to hear you were sweating. That is exactly what I am looking for and need.

Thanks for the input. I will let you know as soon as I get it. Was hoping I'd have it by now.

Please keep us posted with your progress....Thanks again.
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Ok. I FINALLY got the dvd. LOVE IT!!! Jillian is NOT playing around. I got my heart rate up, stretched new areas and feel real good after the workout. For newer newbies, if you don't have this dvd, or don't think you need it, get it. Its an excellent supplemental calorie burning must-have in addition with your regular workout after a few holiday treats.

Thanks everyone for recommending this workout. Its so much more than yoga, and appropriately titled.

Happy holidays!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Yay! Glad you got it! My daughter came over right as I was getting ready to start so I told her if she wanted to visit she had to either come watch me and talk or wait til I was done.

Now she's a shoe 115 pounds fully dressed, but she was so impressed with what I was doing. She tried a couple moves and said if her jeans weren't so tight she would have tried to do the whole thing with me....

It's alot harder than people think but I love the stretching.... Now holding those positions for 15 seconds is another story!
  • Peque1130deleted
    Options
    I tried the YM last week, did it twice and was burning close to 500 cals. I have been doing it all this week so far, and I am only burning about 200...what gives??

I do enjoythe moves and feel I am getting a lot better, except for Warrior 3, I have a problem with balance and this isnt helping. Towards the last circuit, I really concentrate and can do the moves with my eyes closed...literally! I hope to move to level 2 rather soon...
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Hello YM chicks!

How about a challenge for a month? For the sake of burning calories in warp speed, or to monitor how much of a difference the YM workout can make added to our daily routines, lets challenge ourselves to complete the workout twice a day. Anybody in???

I went the wrong way on the scale and have added a few pounds (tis the seasoning on prime rib dinners) and I'd like to see how much caloric reduction these workouts can make in a months time.

Let me know if anyone is interested...
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Don't know about twice a day, but instead of twice a week I am considering every morning! I am LOVING what it is doing for my body! I am still doing my second go around with 30DS so I think I might can do both..... We will see after the holidays! (and when I get over this dang cold!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Ok so last week I came down with a horrible cold... Fever and everything! But I have to say at I still did the yoga meltdown and it helped my aching muscles! I never in a million years thought I would enjoy yoga so much.

I knew I was too sick for 30DS but the slow stretching made me feel so much better!

Now that Christmas is over I'm looking forward to getting back into a normal routine and hope to add yoga in daily! Still goi to do my 30DS 5 days a week but the added stretching sounds good!
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Twice a week is definitely challenging, and I too love what its doing to my body. I'm going to give it a whirl, (once in the morning and once at night). This holiday found me weak and unable to resist the seasonal sinful culinary delectibles.

Glad you are feeling better!!
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Keep us posted on your opinion of JM's 30 Day Shred. Looks pretty difficult, but claims to burn up to 20 pounds a month. I still need to master the Yoga Meltdown, but I'm interested in reading everyone's reviews on the 30 DS.
  • 12Bwild
    Options
    Yep! That Warrior 3 move is a challenge, but I like it. Most of the moves are challenging and allow you to improve each time you complete the dvd. I am still on level one and I'm not even thinking about progressing to level two.
  • Modari
    Modari Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do levels 1 and 2 back to back three times a week (also do 'Banish fat boost metabolism' three times a week). I have to say, I do not think that level 2 is any harder than level 1. In fact, I think the two workouts compliment each other really well when done together. Good luck everyone!