How do you feel about the scale?

Options
Is the scale your enemy or your friend? for a long time the scale was my enemy. I hated being weighed at the Dr. office. The scale is slowly becoming a friend. I know longer feel the number defines who I am.

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on my scale weight. It doesn't matter to me. I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches. I'm aiming to lose fat (I hope no one gets offended by my statement). Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. I'm on the slow road. It will take me a year or so to reach my body fat percentage goal and I will still be classified as being overweight, according to the bmi chart, height/weight chart and I'm okay with that.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think the scale is the devil in metal form lol!! It serves some purpose in my life yet it isn't my main focus anymore.
  • letthejourneybegin
    Options
    I see the scale as a form of measuring my weight loss, but it is not the conclusive measure of my satisfaction. Sometimes I want to throw the scale as far as I can :) jp, but it's not completely evil. I use it to measure my progress numerically, however my satisfaction in the arena of weight loss is ultimately measured by how I feel and how I feel I look.
  • Dstdiva01
    Dstdiva01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    the scale and I are on speaking terms but my BFF are thoes inches that I'm striving to be rid of because @ the end of the day that's what makes the diffrence in how my LBD ( lil black dress) is gonna look on me and as long as I'm happy with that and I'm health i'm good to go :wink:
  • alexcc50
    Options
    The scale is my buddy and the inches are going to be my bffs. I like the scale it keeps me motivated and on track it lets me know how far i have come and how far i need to go. I don't worry about it as of yet because I haven't hit a plateau. But once I do I know it's going to suck.
  • PINKSPARKLEQUEEN1965
    Options
    well I do admit sometimes I'm intimidated but its only a reminder of my goals I think we all know when we messed up you know LOL.. so I guess its my buddy but i never believe in getting on the scale more than once a week
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's funny how the scale becomes a life line for us while on this journey. It tells us if all of our hard work is paying off. It tells us if we are not doing enough and need to do more. It also makes us feel disappointed if we feel like we have been giving our all and its not indicative by the numbers on the scale.

I am currently apart of a challenge called No Scale til 2012. I recently joined the challenge on 12-8-11 because I had other challenges that I was apart of that required my weight. Some people had started 20 days before me, some a month or two. At any rate, we are of course on the honor system and we can not log any weight loss. We have also decided to have a gift wrapping commpetition where will post pictures of our wrapped scale under the tree and we will not unwrap it until January 1st. The purpose of this challenge is to stop worrying about the scale and to go with the feeling that you have when you finish a workout. And to let your clothes and compliments from others affirm that you are doing a great job so that you are not stressed by the scale.
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This was shared with me by another MFP.

The year is almost up…and everyone will be making those all too familiar New Year's Resolutions…lol!! I want to talk about the ‘Scale”….you know, that box you pray to before stepping on it? “Oh lawd pleaseeee make the number go down!!!” Getting on the scale, you only remove everything from your body you weren’t born with! “How you get this tattoo off… that’s at least 1 pound”. Moving on… you urinate (before/after), dry dry dry...liquid weighs!!!...that covers the outside of the body...moving on to the inside... yeap, we bend over to let out whatever air you can squeeze out….what are you trying to do?...pass a kidney stone? And what about when you step on the scale AND the number goes down (OMG!!)... you jump off just in case...just in case what? Your scale don’t realize it was you? Can you imagine if your scale could only talk,”Oh it’s you, I thought is one of the kids....wait, I have to recalculate!”... What about those who blame the scale...because it's never you,”Oh no, it couldn't be me!”… “Something’s wrong with my scale”, “I need to buy a new scale, this one is out dated,” “Who’s messing with my scale?” (You live alone!!)… better yet,”The batteries are dying!!” We’re just awful... none of that works but we do it every time we get on that scale. You know that “scale abuse?”…yes...yes...you don't believe me? Google it!! Ok Sunshines, the scale isn't the only place to look for progress, concentrate on how loose your clothing is getting, on the compliments, on the envious eyes of your not so “I’m happy for you co-workers, friends and family members!!” Yes, there are signs. Okay Sexy, make it happen. Say it!!... Sexy (you know)....under construction!!! How bad do you want it? …there are no magical fixes (I know, I Googled it!) it's all up to you.... So go start doing the work... Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy...no pain no gain, no pain no sexy you!! Besides you and your extra weight aren't lovers...let him go already!!! Sexy under construction!!!…Have a great day!! Smooooches!!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my scale.... I weigh myself daily and log it in the TargetWeight app on my iPhone.

Weighing daily gives me an idea of how some foods, sleep (lack of...!), or exercise can affect my weight.
    I don't let it bother me, I rather use that information to help/motivate me to make better choices & decisions.

I think if you interpret weight fluctuations negatively, then maybe it is better not to look at the scale...

For me it's not enough just to lose inches... as I have already lost 40+ inches all over my body. I still need to lose some more weight....
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My scale and I have a complicated relationship. I compulsive step on it everyday even though I know I'm going to feel like crap if my weight goes up and of course I rejoice and feel great if it goes down just a notch. I know all about water weight, fluctuations during the day and all that, none-the less I'm obsessive about knowing.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For years and years I never cared about the scale. Only the numbers on my pants. It is and continue to be the only way I note my progress. I just recently purchased a scale after years of not having one and it confirmed what I already knew. Id lost some weight. That was 8 weeks ago. I havent stepped on it since. lol. just took my measurements and will now use that to track my progress. Have a great day ladies!
  • gracechild
    Options
    I think scales can be a good tool. However, I think it is ok to place more of an emphasis on how the clothes are fitting:smile:
  • mimi10453
    mimi10453 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I named mines Cha Cha. I love her; She never lies. We meet up every morning : )
  • fluffygoodness
    fluffygoodness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. Its actually in the kitchen (yea that can be a little weird for some people). I weigh myself twice daily. The evening weight should be about 2 lbs more than the morning weight and if its more than that, that's my cue to look at my sodium and water intake for the day and focus on fluid retention. The scale is the debbil but so was that ben and jerrys that I seem to not be the least bit afraid of :laugh:
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I honestly hate the scale. One time I stopped doing strength training, and I lost five pounds. I was so happy until I realized it was a five pound lost in muscle. Also, the scale has stayed the same for me for about two months, but I have lost inches. My clothes are looser. Therefore, I am focusing on how my clothes fit rather than what the scale says.
  • accordin2jo
    accordin2jo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gracechild. I use my Wii Fit for my scale and I weigh in every Sunday morning. What I love most about the Wii is it also measures my BMI.
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    it doesnt really have much meaning to me,,,,due to me going to the gym,,,my pounds have not dropped that much,,but the body is starting to be tone and look slimmer,,hopefully the pounds will come down more in the future ,,but i dont want to get back discourage when i look at the scale and see no change:ohwell: ,,,this way the not know thinking that im at the same weight keeps me grinding:devil:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Before joining MFP I would only get on the scale every Dr appointment..Once I joined that of course that was the only way to track your loss....After seeing people obsess on it so badly..I decided I would create challenges to stray away and focus on what you know to work and believe in yourself to know that you will lose the weight...Currently I have made goal and I must admit..I am glad that I will not be tracking on the scale..That much...Only every other month or so to make sure I am still in the game..I go mainly by inches and my clothing.... IT MAKES OR BREAK a person spirit...thats why I dislike them....
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The scale for me is like that really blunt friend. doesnt accept my bull**** and is gonna tell me how it is. I dont think I obssess over the number but it really pushes me to focus when I see a gain or if I'm not losing. i only weigh myself once a week. I was doing it a few times a week lately because of the holidays but once I reach the weight that I was before the holidays started (5 pounds away) I'll go back to once a week. the scale keeps me on my toes! :drinker:
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't like my scale, but I need it. I don't readily see the changes in my face or body that others see, My clothes are usually baggy anyway. The scale is the only way I know what's happening with my progress or lack of. However I'm a little compulsive about when/ where I weigh myself. I only use my scale in my bathroom on Friday mornings (naked). Those are the factors I can control. Not all scales are calibrated (gym scales) and your weight can flucitate up to 5 pounds during a 24 hour period. Picking one specific time of day, scale, clothing can reduce factors that may change your weight for the good or the bad.