Lonely squats

Options
mandasimba
mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
I workout alone and am far too shy to ask a random person for a spot. When it comes to squats, which one would be a better option for effectiveness?

Doing free squats at a lower weight (to avoid the uh oh, I can't get back up on the final squats)
or
Using the smith machine at a higher weight?

I've been using the smith machine, but I feel like it might be hindering me because of its lack of free motion. It does lead to a bit of an awkward squat. However, I'm a little afraid of trying free squats alone (I've done them oodles before so I have proper technique, but I also used to work out with somebody so I had that safety net.)

Opinions? Thanks :)

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    I will be interested to see what more experienced lifters post about this question, mandasimba.

I did review this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPWXdq7idrI

and it would suggest that using the smith machine, at a higher weight, should be highly effective.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    The smiths machine removes the part where you have to balance yourself, therefore isolates your muscles some, and adding unnecessary stress on the joints in comparison to free weight squats, which will work more muscles with the balance. If you want to develop more 'naturally', I'd strongly suggest free weights with lower weight.

And everyone can lift heavier on smiths machines, because you're using only the stronger muscles.

How many reps are you taking? Have you 'plateaued' when it comes to squat weights?

Anything higher than 5,6,8 or 10 reps (depending on which strength program you follow) can be lowered to 5,6,8 or 10 with higher weights for a more efficient workout. Mind you, if you're going for 5, you'll want to do 5x5 (after warmup). I.e, 5x100, 5x105, 5x105, 5x110, 5x110 (or however it's natural for you to increase the weight, work at your own level) Any lower-level reps with higher weights will be more efficient, especially if you up the sets. You want to challenge your body and advance, after all.

If you're 'stuck' in squats, I suggest lowering the weight a little and doing what is known as a widowmaker; a set of 20 reps. This will be hard, but it will 'shake up' your average routine and make your body adapt more, so your muscles will grow.

Keep in mind, your body wants to plateau, you want to break that plateau and keep improving,
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manda,

I'm wondering if your gym has an employee who can spot you as you use free weights in your squat?? Every gym has employees on the floor - go find one and have them spot you - it's their JOB!!

(My husband gave me this tip as I asked him your question - which, frankly, will be the same question I will have when I'm lifting TOO heavy to hoist onto myself.)
  • mandasimba
    Options
    Thanks for that. I think I will try to do free squats every other time until I am more comfortable with human contact :p I never thought about asking the trainers, even though they are everywhere.

I figured the smith machine was better than a leg press but I guess it is time to move it up again. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the mention of the widowmaker workout as well, I'll definatly have to look into that, sounds painfully awesome.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I also work out alone out of preference. If your gym has a squat rack, it should have safety bars on either side that will catch the bar if you need to "drop it" (if you can't stand up, roll it off your back). That way the bar hits the safeties instead of the floor and you can escape safely without fear of losing your toes. Although, TBH, I've often wondered what it would sound like if someone were squatting 300 lbs. and had to do that. :huh:

Even bench pressing can be done safely alone. The "roll of shame" (where you lower the bar to your body and sit up, then roll it off your legs and onto the floor, lol) may look stupid, but better safe than sorry! (And, yes, I've done THAT once before, lol)

I agree with the others' opinions that free weights > Smith machine. I prefer to build naturally and I want all my little muscles to work for it because I also do yoga and go snowboarding a lot, both activities that require core strength and balance. I won't get that if the machines do half the work for me. :)

ETA: Interesting note on the Widowmaker. Will have to keep that in mind for future reference. Sounds killer! :)
  • mandasimba
    Options
    Very proud of myself, I grew a set of ovaries tonight! The gym was pretty empty so there was plenty of equipment available but a group of guys were alternating on one squat rack near me. I was hoping since they were taking turns and chatting during the break they wouldn't be too bothered if I asked if they keep an eye out for me tipping over or something.

I felt much cooler on the free rack too so I think I'll stick to that from now on :wink:
  • snkeller24
    Options
    FutureSkinny pretty much nailed it - quit using the smith machine all together =)

I lift alone as well, and usually in the same boat as you with not really wanting to ask people. When you're in a "globo gym" a lot of times they frown upon you "dropping weights" ... which is hard for me because at crossfit we drop them suckers a good bit. I've bailed out of a few squats ... I did it once at 'schmolds' and got in trouble.

Just remember to get stronger you want to add weight, not reps because that just helps with endurance. Don't forget to rest and maybe try breaking your sets down.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm going to report, here, that I completed 30 squats, today, bearing weight!!

Now, I used dumb-bells and I kept them by my side, but that is an improvement. I'm hoping to try the same weight (10 lb. DB) at my shoulder-lever when my next squat work-out comes 'round.

:)

I can't wait to be a "lonely squatter"....running around trying to find someone to "spot" me because I squat so heavy!! I'm hoping this is only 4 months off....but, I'm sure it could be 6 or 10 or 12!