1st half marathon

Options
linnea213
linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
I'm signed up for my 1st HM on May 6th. I am totally CRAZY!!! Started training and on day 3 of the Hal Higdon Novice 2 training program. I adjusted the days by one bc I like to have Sunday as my rest day :)

Accoding to this 12 week program I will be ready for a half the weekend of 3/24 but my race isn't until 5/6...suggestions?

Replies

• LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much of a running background you have. I'm assuming you have some running under your belt already? I would wait till 12 weeks out from your race then start the program. Maybe follow a 10k program till time to start the half program.
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you finish the whole program by March 24th, then there is still 6 weeks until your race. Once you finish the 12th week, I would count back 6 weeks and start from there and do those over again until your race. make sense?
  • linnea213
    Options
    Yes, I guess I could wait but I feel focus and determined right now and don't want to lose it...lol

I also considered finding a longer race around that time but would that be safe to run a HM end of March and than again in May?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would skip the last 3 weeks of training and hold those for the last 3 weeks before your marathon - and repeat the previous 3 weeks (so week 6, 5, 4) a second time. Then go into week 3 when you are 3 weeks out.
  • linnea213
    Options
    Yeah that might work. I have a 10k on April 14th which coincides with a May 6th HM. So I'm thinking from March 24th to April 14th stay on track with the 10k maybe do week 7, 8 & 9 for 2 weeks each.
  • mmynaric
    Options
    I'm doing my first half marathon at the end of February (actually, the Disney Princess Half Marathon) I'm nervous but I believe I can finish. I'm up to 6 mile runs on my training program. I'll gladly take any advice or encouragement :happy:
  • EbonyK
    EbonyK Posts: 92
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I signed up to compete in the Little Rock, Ar half-marathon last summer. I have 2 more months until the big race day. I would love to lose 15-20lbs before then. Is there anyone in the Little Rock, Ar area that would like to train with me?
  • sherip22
    Options
    I'm doing my first half marathon at the end of February (actually, the Disney Princess Half Marathon) I'm nervous but I believe I can finish. I'm up to 6 mile runs on my training program. I'll gladly take any advice or encouragement :happy:

My first half is this years Disney Princess Half too!
  • mmynaric
    Options
    I just read this post - I sent a message asking if this was your first 1/2 marathon (disregard :-) I'm pumped. I keep looking at web posts about the race and it seems like a perfect environment for first timers.
  • sherip22
    Options
    I just read this post - I sent a message asking if this was your first 1/2 marathon (disregard :-) I'm pumped. I keep looking at web posts about the race and it seems like a perfect environment for first timers.
    I completely agree. Do you ever read the Disboards? There is a huge thread on the princess half over there.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Accoding to this 12 week program I will be ready for a half the weekend of 3/24 but my race isn't until 5/6...suggestions?

It depends on where you are already, but the training programs are designed to have you ready to run a marathon or half at the end of the program.

Personally, I'd wait to start it until the end coincides with the race date. I'd just keep up my normal training routine until it basically lines up with whatever week in the training program. Example:

I'm running my first half marathon race in Feb. I've run 13.6 miles on my own several times over the last couple of months so I'm not worried about actually finishing, what I'm worried about is the actual race day (meaning: running with 4,000 other people rather than running alone) and my time. But, since about August of last year I've been running 20-25 miles per week already. That lined up with the training program I'm doing on about week 7 of the program, so I'm just now starting the 'program' this week. I ran 14 miles in 2:27 yesterday, so I'm hoping doing a program can cut me down to a less embarrassing time. Hard to believe I'm worried about my time to be honest, this time last year I was almost 100 pounds heavier and couldnt walk up a flight of stairs without taking a break... but I'm hoping to run 13 sub 10 minute miles. Probably won't do it but that's my goal to shoot for.

Anyway, I have no idea if that's the best way to do it or not...but that's what made sense to me.

PS: If you are just now starting to train to run distances (I.E. over a 5k or so), take my advice: SHOES! They matter. Get your foot type (under-pronate, over-pronate, etc) and gait checked by a professional at a running store, not the teenager at the store in the mall. Buy shoes that are proper for your foot and gait. You can do this without spending tons and tons of money, but having the proper shoes makes an ENORMOUS difference. I cant stress that enough... plantar facitis HURTS. You dont want it...
  • linnea213
    Options
    Agree on the running shoes. I invested in good running shoes from the local running store and it made a huge difference in my running. I am down 45lbs and my knees do not feel the strain I felt last April. I'm undecided on how I will handle the training at this point but I ran 3 on Friday, 3 yesterday and plan on another 3 today, which is following the Hal Higdon program. I'm thinking of stretching out the program the additional 6 weeks with weeks 7,8, & 9 which is 20-21 miles a week which is what I was doing before the holidays.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yay, Im glad you sent this to me!! I soo need it. My first half is in March, I am sooo excited yet sooo nervous! Now I will go back and read the comments! Oh and I am Stacey
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I signed up to compete in the Little Rock, Ar half-marathon last summer. I have 2 more months until the big race day. I would love to lose 15-20lbs before then. Is there anyone in the Little Rock, Ar area that would like to train with me?

MEMEMEME!! LOL. I live in Little rock and I am doing Little rock half!
  • traintk
    traintk Posts: 22
    Options
    I have done many half marathons. After my first one, I said never again. 2 weeks later I decided to train for a full marathon the next year. It was the start of many half marathons and 2 full marathons. I do the Chicago marathon in October and then kind of take it easy till the first of the year. It is just like I am starting over. Anyone can do it. Just build up slow and listen to your body. Once you cross that finish line, you will realize you can do anything.