Paleo Challenge for January - Shopping List?

Options
Hey everyone!

I am doing a paleo challenge for January. I've been "paleo-ish" for a while, but want to go strict for a month. I seem to get bored with meat & veggies for dinner every night (I use lots of coconut oil, avocados, and other fats with my meals). I've tried plenty of paleo recipes but a lot of them seem labor intensive, and after my workout, we don't start cooking until around 7 pm - which makes for a late dinner!

ANYway, I'm going grocery shopping today or tomorrow for my new stock of paleo foods! Does anyone have any tips or "must-haves" so that I can have an arsenal of quick-foods? (I already know I need some more coconut oil and coconut milk...)

Ready, go!

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Good guide to produce, what's seasonal, organic, etc.:

http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/whole9-produce-guide.pdf

I always have sweet potatoes on hand, spaghetti squash, and a freezer full of fish, beef, frozen veggies, and frozen fruits. Its hard to buy fresh produce and use it quickly enough when you're only cooking for one person. A lot of times I will make up a big batch of sweet potatoes and spaghetti squash on Sunday night then keep it in the fridge to use during the rest of the week. I cooked a whole pork shoulder yesterday and plan on freezing most of it, since it was 5 lbs.

One other thing, make up a big batch of soup or chili and freeze it in containers with a couple servings in each. That's pretty quick and easy too.
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    You might find this whole article helpful actually:

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your own challenge, or is this an organized group thing here on MFP? I'd be interested in joining you. I'm close to the end of my first month of Primal and have decided that this trial has been worth it. I'll be sticking to it, My challenge is that I'll start traveling on Jan 4th for work, and will be at the mercy of restaurants 99% of the time. No car. I've done this touring stuff before so I know what to expect....just have to be creative. Anyhoo, let me know if you're interested. We could easily just run a thread here in this group.

As for a shopping list, have you looked into Marks daily apple website? It's Mark Sisson, the author of the Primal Blueprint. There's at least 4 eBooks you can download for free if you register. One is a colorful cookbook with great ideas. (which makes me really think I'm gonna miss my kitchen!, wah!) If memory serves, on his website or his book is a shopping list for stocking up to eat Primal.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had made a great soup a couple weeks ago. I just boiled up cauliflower, onion, celery and carots in just enough broth to cover, then blended it all. The amount of broth you have when you blend it determines the thickness. I had a little too much. It was supposed to be a "cream of" soup, but came out more of just a regular soup. I then added some chicken sausage, or whatever meat you would like. Really quick, easy, then I had it for lunch all week.

A friend of mine loves his stir fries. He get chicken tenders and then a package of frozen stir fry veggies, cooks them up together for a really quick dinner.

I made a paleo meatloaf once too, it was ok. Nice to have something difference than just a chicken breast.

Bacon wrapped chicken pieces are really good. Sprinkle with some chili powder or bbq rub and bake in the oven.

My co-worker also made a paleo lo-mein. She used cabbage and chicken sausage with some chinese five spice. I haven't tried it, but it smelled and looked sooooo good.

My shopping list would include: tomatoes, cucumbers, baby spinach, eggs, chicken breast, turkey cutlets, mushrooms, almonds, bacon, walnuts, larabars, pineapple and coconut flakes.

Are you going to include whey powder?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your own challenge, or is this an organized group thing here on MFP? I'd be interested in joining you. I'm close to the end of my first month of Primal and have decided that this trial has been worth it. I'll be sticking to it, My challenge is that I'll start traveling on Jan 4th for work, and will be at the mercy of restaurants 99% of the time. No car. I've done this touring stuff before so I know what to expect....just have to be creative. Anyhoo, let me know if you're interested. We could easily just run a thread here in this group.

As for a shopping list, have you looked into Marks daily apple website? It's Mark Sisson, the author of the Primal Blueprint. There's at least 4 eBooks you can download for free if you register. One is a colorful cookbook with great ideas. (which makes me really think I'm gonna miss my kitchen!, wah!) If memory serves, on his website or his book is a shopping list for stocking up to eat Primal.

Well, I originally just decided I was going to do my own challenge Jan 1-30. Then my crossfit gym started one that goes Jan 15-Feb 13... but my birthday is Jan. 31, so I'm sticking to Jan. 1-30 :):)

I actually do subscribe to Mark's emails and blog. Sometimes I forget all the great resources that are there - I just thought perhaps some people had some quick tips for me. You can join me in my challenge if you'd like!!
  • MaggieMay131
    Options
    I had made a great soup a couple weeks ago. I just boiled up cauliflower, onion, celery and carots in just enough broth to cover, then blended it all. The amount of broth you have when you blend it determines the thickness. I had a little too much. It was supposed to be a "cream of" soup, but came out more of just a regular soup. I then added some chicken sausage, or whatever meat you would like. Really quick, easy, then I had it for lunch all week.

A friend of mine loves his stir fries. He get chicken tenders and then a package of frozen stir fry veggies, cooks them up together for a really quick dinner.

I made a paleo meatloaf once too, it was ok. Nice to have something difference than just a chicken breast.

Bacon wrapped chicken pieces are really good. Sprinkle with some chili powder or bbq rub and bake in the oven.

My co-worker also made a paleo lo-mein. She used cabbage and chicken sausage with some chinese five spice. I haven't tried it, but it smelled and looked sooooo good.

My shopping list would include: tomatoes, cucumbers, baby spinach, eggs, chicken breast, turkey cutlets, mushrooms, almonds, bacon, walnuts, larabars, pineapple and coconut flakes.

Are you going to include whey powder?

Thanks so much! That soup sounds really good. You know, I've been doing a lot of the whey protein shakes just for the convenience of easy protein, but I guess it's not technically paleo, huh? I should probably quit that... :/
  • MaggieMay131
    Options
    You might find this whole article helpful actually:

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Thanks Becky! I was just thinking about that site this morning, I will have to take a look around!
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    Definitely joining you. : )

A good substitute for noodles in soups is to slice up some cabbage. I make a pretty tasty chicken no-noodle soup.

As for the whey, I use it still even if I consider myself eating paleo. I try as hard as I can to get enough protein and then supplement accordingly with whey at the end of the day. I do buy pretty much the purest stuff you can find at GNC though.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That soup sounds really good. You know, I've been doing a lot of the whey protein shakes just for the convenience of easy protein, but I guess it's not technically paleo, huh? I should probably quit that... :/

I think whey is ok, in moderation. It shouldn't be your prime source or protein, but doesn't have to be excluded either. Most challenges have rules set up and outline it. They challenge my box did stated whey was ok. I usually have 2 servings a day. One in my shake for breakfast, blended with pineapple and coconut extract. (Hello pina colada!) And a second mid afternoon. But I am going to try re-introducing cottage cheese for my mid afternoon protein. I think I need a little more fat and would rather have a real source of protein. Maybe someday I'll have my prep in order and make up some actual meat for my afternoon meal!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm a full-time grad student so school, studying/homework, and fitness is a bit of a handful for me (don't even ask me how mothers do it). I looked up a bunch of Paleo crock-pot recipes so I can cook a bunch of stuff and freeze/refrigerate it for the week. Then, I don't have to worry about cooking EVERY day but rather once per week. My plan is to eat a side salad with the main courses I've prepared already. The recipes I have are for shredded chicken tacos, italian pepper and sausage, ribs, pot roast, and chile verde. If you search Google for Paleo crock-pot recipes you'll find a bunch to work with.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I made this stew yesterday - it was so yummy! I did have stew meat from a local farm which was super tender! I used a shallot instead of onion and organic vegetable broth in place of beef stock. I have a daughter who doesn't eat meat so I always have a lot of veg broth around! I ate one bowl, my hubby two bowls and I brought the rest fo have for lunch today. It was pretty easy and you could probably cook it in a crockpot.

http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-03/paleo-beef-stew/
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    How about trying some Hearts of Palm, which I think are very similar taste/texture to cattails, which is something I think of as a true Paleo food. Artichoke Hearts are excellent too - like thistle blooms. You could always try something really exotic - grind some of your own acorns for acorn flower and try that in a recipe for pancakes maybe. Cattails, mentioned above, have pollen that can be used like flour too. Think way outside the grocery store box.

If it helps your frame of mind to keep an example in mind, think of Ayla in Clan of the Cave Bear series. The story heavily features foods around the campfire, so to speak. If you haven't read the books yet, you'll enjoy them. They're pretty well researched, in my opinion.

Happy Shopping.