Hello I'm new and motivated!

Options
aedfit
aedfit Posts: 65 Member
Hi there. Thanks to whomever started this group. I was looking to get a group started for people running a 1/2 marathon before turning 40 so this is great.

Right now I can run about 4 miles. The most I've done is 9.5 and it was not pretty. But I'm motivated to do this. The 1/2 I'm tackling is in October. I found a training guide on the runners world website for beginners but it's for 12 weeks. I'm trying to decide if i should start the program now and just repeat it prior to race day or work on strength training and weigh loss until the 12 weeks out. Thoughts?

Replies

• girllimberlost
    Options
    Since you can already do 4, maybe you could train for a 10K first? Just an idea.

My half isn't until June, so I am just focused on my weight loss right now and getting my core built back up. I had major abdominal surgery in August, and my stomach muscles are totally messed up. I am going to do a lot of yoga and isometrics and core, and just easy 30 minute cardio for the next few months while I get my weight back down, and then start my 12-week training in March.

Good luck! I did my first half last year, and I loved it!
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to running too. I ran a 5k in Nov 2010 and than an 8k in april 2011 with not much running in between and much heavier. In May last year I set a goal to lose weight and run. So I finished 5- 5ks, one 4 miler and a 10k from August 2011 to December 2011. My goal this year is a race a month with the half in May. I'm addicted :). Just started the Hal Higdon HM training 12 week program. Good Luck and thanks for joining!
  • goldfinch909
    goldfinch909 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have run a few 10Ks, one 10 miler, and many an 8 and 5K... I turned 60 in September and decided to do my first 1/2 marathon... GULP! That will be the Yuengling 1/2 Marathon in Virginia Beach on March 18th (yeah, plenty of green beer to follow!)

I took off two weeks for Christmas/New Years but need to get re-motivated to get back on the horse... especially since it was 27 degrees out this AM! TEN WEEKS to GET IT DONE :)

Not so easy to come out of hibernation as it used to be...

Thanks for any and ALL support!
  • Edumovich
    Edumovich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since your race is so far out I wouldn't do the 12 week program over and over..........once you get up to the double digit miles it is really hard on your body. I would just continue running 4-6 miles a couple days a week, strength train, work on weight loss and you will be good to go come 12 weeks out from your race. Doing a 1/2 is very addicting, it makes you feel so good to accomplish it............good luck!
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, after my first child turned 1, I started running. Got addicted...did my first 5k within a month and by the end of the following month I did my first 10k. Was ready to make this a habit and even though I was back to my original (prebaby) weight for months, I thought this is how I get that other 10-15 off and tone up. Then came the IT Band injury. Work up to it, get strong first! I'm returning to running now, after the birth of my second child, just turned 1. I'm working back up to running 4mi 3-4/wk this month and then I have an 15wk program a local runner created for me, starts Feb. I'll be doing a HM end of May and Mid June. Fingers Crossed!
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ok, so after so much GREAT advice from this group I am going to hold off on official HM training til end of February putting me right on target for my May 6th race. I have a few smaller races in there as well. I will continue to run 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week with strentgh training 1-2 days as well.
  • Edumovich
    Edumovich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good choice!!! That's exactly what I'm going to do!!! Good luck, you will love it!!!