Welcome to the fluff group.

Options
Sidesteal
Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
Nick had a great idea to create a group all about protein fluff.

I think we should use this to go over good recipies and also try and figure out exactly what the do's and don'ts are of making fluff.

It seems like I can make some great batches and also make some miserable failures that don't fluff up at all.

So far, peanut butter appears to not work.
ON whey doesn't seem to fluff as readily as EAS.
Mixed Berries seem to work better than bananas.

/end random comments.

I look forward to us collectively mastering this food item.

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I will just add that if your fluff fails to fluff...adding MORE Xanthan gum is NOT the answer unless you like to eat a gelatinous blob.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    OK, so lets start this, then as moderators in this group we can condense it into a single post at the end and sticky it to the top.

Lets list powders and any fluffing additives you used with it to ensure its success i.e. Xanthan Gum

Casein-
    Xtreme Formulations, Lemon cream pie- milk and Frozen berries

Whey
    Optimum Nutrition Whey, Caramel Toffee Fudge- Milk Frozen Berries and Xanthan gum
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank for starting this!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    What is the Xanthan gum stuff, and where do you get it?
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    Xanthan Gum is a food additive commonly used as a food thickening agent (in salad dressings, for example) and a stabilizer (in cosmetic products, for example, to prevent ingredients from separating). some whey powders already contain som in the ingredients.

SOME powders need a little extra help to fluff up and it only takes a tiny bit, i.e. .25-1 tsp per batch, over used it will make a giant gooey blob.

I bought mine at Wal-mart, it is in the baking supply area with the flour and ground flax seed ect. It is kind of expensive, $12 for a little bag, but it seems that it will last for many batches of fluff.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    one of you guys want to throw up a picture for the group Icon/logo
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    So what, exactly, does protein fluff end up tasting like?

And as a side note, since I am among protein experts. is there a protein powder that makes a Gatorade-like drink instead of a creamy flavor?
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    Dixie, From the few that I have created thus far, it wouldd seem that the flavors could be endless, if fluffed with some Xanthan gum, it gets extra creamy, think cool whip, but with berries blended and mixed into it. It can be made with water or zero cal fruit juice if your concered about calories and just want the protein, or if you have lots of extra calories you can really do it up. 1 scoop of protein made 2 bowls like you see in my profile picture.

As far as a protein drink that is more like a juice, I am unaware of such a creature. I would think it is unlikely because of what protein powders are made from, whey, caesin ect...
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to some awesome posts and recipes!!
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Interested to try this stuff :)
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    Easiest way to try, 1 scoop caesin powder, 200-300 grams of FROZEN berries and .5 cup Milk

use a big high sided bowl and either a stand mixer, or a hand mixer, run it on high for 10 minutes.

if first try absolutely won't fluff, try with a little Xantham Gum powder ( .5-1 tsp) if you over do it on the gum it will have a very odd goo/slime consitency.....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    I have not made fluff for a while. I should get back into it again as it is a filling (very filling at times) snack. Maybe tonight. I had never thought of using Xantham Gum powder with it. The only time I have had it not fluff is when I didn't have the berries cold enough.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    My first 3 batches failed because I did not realize the importance of the frozen component. When Fluff works, it seems to work Great, and when it fails, Moses himself could not part the liquid slop that remains :-)
  • rileysowner
    Options
    My first 3 batches failed because I did not realize the importance of the frozen component. When Fluff works, it seems to work Great, and when it fails, Moses himself could not part the liquid slop that remains :-)

LOL. Then add a bunch more liquid and call it a smoothy :wink:
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thx for starting this group guys. My first attempt was not good :grumble: . Ended up like a kids slime even though I didn't put much Xantham Gum in it. Will read up more before attempt #2 later today :drinker:

Kathy
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Mine didn't work well today. I forgot the fruit was thawing on the counter, and left is just a little too long. It started to fluff, but never really got there. Then I thought, this will work in my ice cream maker. It did to a point, but the protein fluff freezes very quickly so I got a rock hard protein ice around the outside and an ice cream like consistency near the middle. Probably could get to about half or a little bit more to eat. If I try the ice cream maker thing again I will add a bit more room temp fluid to slow down the initial freeze. It still tasted good which makes me want to make more protein ice cream.
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm making Pumkin Fluff tomorrow! The pumpkin is in the freezer now! Does anyone know how long the fluff stays fluffy?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    re the pb thing. I read that anything high fat will not work with fluff which is why skim milk is always recommended for the liquid additive.

Unfortunate, as I'd love to try some pb fluff. I suppose people with pb2 could give it a go since that uses defatted peanut powder.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 in my protein shake, that is powdered it may work in the fluff recipes.

Also I use NutraBio's UNFLAVORED whey, anyone have any ideas how to use this one? Can I use it and some vanilla extract to replace the vanilla flavored whey?
  • MinnesotaManimal
    Options
    I think that you could utilize the unflavored whey in any of the recipes, especially one that already has a strong flavor base componet such as the pumpkin or banana fluffs. or in the meringue drop cookies if you make them chocholate by adding the cocoa powder.