Hair Loss after surgery

Options
jfbower
jfbower Posts: 7 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm going into surgery for sleeve on 24 January. Any information you can give me on what I need to do before or after surgery to reduce the hair loss?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can do beforehand.

Afterwards, if the hair loss came because your system got shocked by the surgery and the rapid weight loss, again there is nothing you can do.

But, if you are deficient in certain nutrients, especially protein, that can exacerbate the situation and make it worse or last longer.

So getting in your protein and taking your supplements is key.

All the other stuff people tell you to do? Waste of time and money... your hair dies when you have the surgery and falls out 3 months later when the new growth comes in and pushed the dead hair out. No special shampoo or special supplement can bring dead hair back!

Oh and biotin doesn't help with hair loss but it can make the new hair grow back nicer.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    And your hair does come back.:wink:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yep to the above! I lost a TON of hair after three months, and then again at 6 months when I had my gallbladder removed. I wore extensions in the front for about 3 months after the second surgery.

Anyhow, it's really healthy and growing now. So, no worries! Sitting here two years later, I'd do it all over again--even the hair loss!
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    that's good to know, chocolate. I have always had a thick head of hair and started losing it at about 3 months post op. I am now 8 months post op and still losing. I am getting my protein in but the doc also suggested more zinc. That's my next try.
  • runs4zen
    Options
    that's good to know, chocolate. I have always had a thick head of hair and started losing it at about 3 months post op. I am now 8 months post op and still losing. I am getting my protein in but the doc also suggested more zinc. That's my next try.

I went to my hairdresser and she was really stressing (mind you...it was ME losing the hair...LOL)...

Anyhow, we put in hair extensions in the worst areas of loss (mine was in front, around my hairline) to let my natural hair have a rest and grow. It worked super well! That said, I went from having shoulder length hair at surgery to having boy-short hair within a year. Today, my hair is what you see in my profile pic. I promise, you'll get it back! :tongue:
  • jfbower
    jfbower Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information! I will prepare myself :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Oh that's true and usually it come back nicer! I think that's because we are taking all our vitamins and eating so much better now.

I even have a slight wave to my hair when it was dead straight before.

Also, I lost a lot of the gray and the new hair came back brown! I do still have some gray but about half of what I had before.
  • runs4zen
    Options
    Oh that's true and usually it come back nicer! I think that's because we are taking all our vitamins and eating so much better now.

I even have a slight wave to my hair when it was dead straight before.

Also, I lost a lot of the gray and the new hair came back brown! I do still have some gray but about half of what I had before.

Oh man...if ONLY the gray thing had happened to me! I have to color every 7-10 days...
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I lost alot of hair starting at 3 months and it lasted until I was 7 months out. I'm almost 8 months out and it's growing back thicker than before.
  • rmstorey
    Options
    I started losing hair around 4 months. Now I'm in month 7, and I *think* it's slowing down a bit. Hoping it will start regrowing soon, because my hair was already thin before I started losing it from surgery, thanks to high testosterone levels.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if you are like me "tring" to prepair for it! then i will be having alot of my hair cut off just before the op(i have really long hair)! and 1. it is more manageable afterwards! and 2. when it starts falling out in clumps no one will notice!
    good luck x
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I lost alot around the front hariline. It seemed to just break off. Not hugely noticiable to others I'd guess, but defo to me. Especially when my hair right down my hair and I love my hair :(