Anyone else lose motivation when it's so cold?

Options
BackwoodsMom
BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
We live in the northeast and when it gets this cold and windy (windchills at 15-20 below) I don't want to run outside. The treadmill is my only way to get in a run and I find it VERY hard to motivate myself to run on it. They gym isn't an option financially for me, either. I know I need to keep up my base (20-25 mi/week) but any helpful hints is appreciated. I have no problem going out for a run when it's 20 or warmer! :smile:

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help for treadmill motivation, but give me a facemask, warm gloves and a good windbreaker jacket and I'll run in the cold. (PA so we still get some pretty ciold temps)
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, I don't like the treadmill but I also have been on it, especially yesterday when it felt like -7F or -22 Celcius, I'm in Ontario, Canada and we do get some cold winters :). Maybe try to find someone else to come out with you? Today here it's not quite as cold, but I'm meeting a friend to do some hills. We both agreed that we'd be easily persuaded to stay in if we weren't going to meet eachother.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a gym treadmill later in the month to stay conditioned for my spring 10 miler. Last year I did the 10 mile race in the early spring and I noticed that my prior time was better because I had done some winter running on a treadmill and at an indoor track. Last year, I intended to winter train outside but that was not realistic for me and I was not as conditioned.
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    Well, I bit the bullet and got in an hour on the dreadmill. :grumble: Guess it's better than nothing. I'm really hoping to do a half in June and don't want to start from square one in March like I usually do! Need to get a couple face masks (my 15 yo runs with me) and then we might be set to go outside on these days.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    These So Cal winters can be brutal. Afternoons have been in mid 70s (or so) for the last week or two...
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    These So Cal winters can be brutal. Afternoons have been in mid 70s (or so) for the last week or two...

I'll take our winters anyday over those kind of temps!!! :tongue: I like it anywhere between 20 and 60 and can get that most days here in NY anytime of the year. I might have to run at 5 a.m. on a hot summer day but it's doable! Enjoy your sunshine and warm weather!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I'll take our winters anyday over those kind of temps!!! :tongue: I like it anywhere between 20 and 60 and can get that most days here in NY anytime of the year. I might have to run at 5 a.m. on a hot summer day but it's doable! Enjoy your sunshine and warm weather!

I agree, I'm a morning runner and I don't care for temps in the 70s. Luckily our mornings tend to be mid 40s.
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

You'd like Vancouver then. Our winter temps are consistently in the 40s and running in the rain isn't that bad. Actually, this winter has been unusually dry so far, although it rained so much last night I thought my apt building might float away.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm no help for treadmill motivation, but give me a facemask, warm gloves and a good windbreaker jacket and I'll run in the cold. (PA so we still get some pretty ciold temps)

In PA also, hand warmer packets popped into the gloves are nice too.