Introductions!!

Options
MerryKhaos
MerryKhaos Posts: 34 Member
Hey everyone!!

My name is Merry Khaos, and I skate for Harrisburg Area Roller Derby in Central PA. I started skating at the end of 2009. I came to HARD right after a BIG league division, so I was trained up for the All Star team right away and debuted as a Fallout Femme (b team) in February 10 and then a Nuclear Knockout the next month against DC Roller Girl All Stars.

At this point, I've trained with Charm City, Philly Roller Girls and Gotham. I've also made it a point to visit Mason Dixon, Black Rose Rollers, Molly Rogers (FL), and Arizona Roller Derby (AZRD). I love guest skating. You learn a LOT!!

What else can I say? Oh! I write for the Examiner about roller derby:
http://www.examiner.com/roller-derby-22-in-harrisburg/kristie-grey

I have a lot of articles there right now announcing an All Star team I "put" together, but there's writing there about alcohol's effect on athletes, "10 Reasons You Should Watch Roller Derby", and a bunch of articles for fresh meat and fans. I also love theatre, rock climbing, and indie rock.

I'm going to ROLLERCON THIS YEAR!!!! .... lol ok, WHO ARE YOU??? :-)

Replies

• BettyKrypton
    Options
    Haha I don't wanna post after that. You're pretty impressive.

I'm Betty Krypton, freshmeat with El Paso Roller Derby. I skated previously for Sun City Roller Girls, but due to differences in leadership, I joined EPRD because they are pursuing WFTDA status, with Tuscon as our mentor league. Though I've been on skates a year, I haven't learned much past basic skills, so I'm still getting my bearings. I have a mentor/nutrition coach that skates for Arizona Derby Dames. I took part in Certifiable Derby Training with DeRanged, Psychobabble, and Helen Wheels, which pretty much changed my derby career.

I write for Lucy in Da Sky and Derby Girls Blog, as well as having a Xanga (yes those are still around). My goal is to be a jammer, and I'm hoping to lean out for it. I'm vegan, an Army Wife, and starting my Masters degree this semester.

Can't wait to get to know the rest of you!
  • MerryKhaos
    MerryKhaos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    (lol I think that's pretty impressive) And I just know how to talk, that's all. I do a lot of Public Relations. :-D
  • kerosenekisses463
    kerosenekisses463 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name's Ajah, annnnnnd...well, I don't skate for a league, not YET, anyway. So I guess right now, I'm skating for myself! :) I have a progress journal Tumblr at www.derbydreams.tumblr.com and a progress vlog at www.youtube.com/RollerDerbyDestiny...erm, both of which need to be updated more. Let's just say it's a work in progress.

Technically I started this journey in June of 2010, but due to a combination of lack of motivation and personal life issues, my training slowed....and then it stopped. I'm getting back in the groove this year, and I have somewhat of a game plan. Of course, I also have no idea what I'm doing, sooooo we'll see how this goes.

Right now, my main motivation for intense training is RollerCon 2012! It will be my first one, and I'm definitely excited, nervous, determined...all that good stuff!

This is my first time doing RDWC...since before, I'd always find out about it when it was halfway over. This is going to be AWESOME!

BTW, my local league is raising money to start their 3rd season...spread the word!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/longbeachrollerderby/long-beach-roller-derbys-3rd-season-production

So excited to get started and get to know all of you! :)
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    G'day, I'm Shan. I grew up roller skating as my uncle owned a rink, was a national speed skating champ and the captain of the Australian mens roller hockey team when I was growing up on the beautiful beaches of the Sunshine Coast. On moving from Queensland to northern Tasmania in 2009, I thought getting back into skating through roller derby would be a great way to meet like-minded folk, get fit & make friends. I completed two levels of fresh meat (bronze & silver) early last year with the Van Diemen Rollers. VDR is another league which split due to directional differences and I now skate with the recently formed Devil State Derby League. My goal is to develop not only my physical skills but the strategy development and execution required of a Pivot.

Outside of derby I love driving my classic car, educating myself (onto my third degree... post graduate law... hence the derby name MissDemeaner), listening to, playing and writing about music under the name queennahs, continuing my career in telecommunications contract management, working on losing weight and getting fit and generally enjoying the spoils of living in a beautiful wine region in a special waterfront home with my gorgeous man and our two Amstaffs. Yep, that about sums me up!

It's encouraging to be here doing this challenge with women of differing experience and fitness levels from near and far. I think it will keep me striving to do better and better.
  • Tubrookulosis
    Options
    Hey everybody!
    I'm really excited to be a part of this group and I'm just figuring out how to use my iPad so I'm gonna keep this brief. I have been playing for one year so far and I'm in love. I have always been active especially outside, climbing, snowboarding, mtn biking but my f ing husband is always better than me. I finally found something that I feel like I'm good at, or at least better than him at because he can't play haaaaa! I still do everything else but I feel more passionate about derby.

For work, I'm an organic farmer in the summer and Im working at a brewery for the winter. So I always lose weight in the summer because of the vigorous work routine and tend to get chunky in the winter. I live in Durango co and play for the Durango roller girls, I'm on the travel team and an intraleaghue team. I went to rollercon last year and had a blast, I'll be there again this July. My goal is to improve my game and lose 10 pounds before this summer, my pants suddenly feel pretty tight. Thanks for organizing this group and I look forward to hearing about everyone's progress! Oh yeah and my weight fluctuates 5 pounds from morning to night so I don't know what that means it just happens....
  • Fridawhipya
    Options
    hthowdy folks-

I have skated for the Tilted Thunder Rail Birds in Seattle WA and now skate with OneWorld Roller Derby in Seattle. I have 2 years skating derby with a several month break when I fractured my ankle just before my debut bout Dec 2011. Ive inline skated, roller skated, hiked, biked and more before derby. I am also a sprint triathlete before derby but got a little lonely. I love the community I have found in Derby and will be coaching a Jr league as this new year gets underway. I am a an avid fan of Frida Kahlo and a her husband Diego Rivera and Mexican art in general. I have started my Masters in Social Work and work as a program manager insocial and health services. I have 6 chickens in my back yard and grow a fairly decent garden. I love to cook, skate, laugh. I dont drink or smoke or .... sober 5 years. I have a 20 year old son who is at university who a wonderful friend and I grew up on a hippy commune with no indoor plumbing..

Im a little overweight right now and would like to slim down by about 20 lbs because it feels better to me and I can move faster stronger easier. Looking forward to this challenge now that I am not broken..

derby love..
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sup y'all!

I'm Anya Arson and I have been rostered with the brand new Susquehanna Valley Derby Vixens since August 2010, but got my start by watching HARD since early 2009. People have trouble placing me, since I NSO more than I skate (our league barely had any games last season) at HARD, State College, Mason Dixon, Black Rose, Dutchland and Lehigh, and because I'll skate anywhere that lets me! Last year, I managed to practice with SVDV, HARD, SCAR, Dutchland, San Antonio, Alamo City, and Philly, and had the honor of coaching Mexico City for a week and SVDV for the first four months of 2011.

As far as my diet and the such, I tend to hit heads with most people because I have been on a mostly ketogenic diet for six months. I managed to drop 30 lbs in those first four months of not eating carbs/sugar, but have hit a wall with holiday travels and damned cookies. I technically have also been going to the gym for the past few years, but hurt my knee in August and other excuses and am barely getting back in the routine of things.

My goals have a tad of vanity (those last ten pounds!), but I really just want to get stronger. I want to put on muscle, raise my metabolism, stop being always cold, and I want to clobber people on the floor.

So yeah, here I am ^_^
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm Admiral DeJenerate and I skate with the Undead Bettys in Antioch, CA. I joined the league in June 2011 and have gone through our Infected (fresh meat) and Dead (scrimmaging/non-bouting) programs. I passed to our bouting level in December and our practices start back up tonight. VERY excited! Our first bout is March 3rd and I'll be skating for our "B" team, The Damned Skaters. :)

Count me in among the RollerCon 2012 attendees - I've created so many challenge bouts it's almost like that's all I will be doing if they are all on the schedule. LOL. I'm also going to Yosemite Slam (Fast Girl U) at the end of this month and March RADness down in Los Angeles.

Outside of derby, I'm a long-distance runner, I work for the federal government, and I am attending school full-time to get my paralegal certificate (my 4th piece of parchment). Whew. I don't have much time for anything else. I've been married for two years (he works swing shift so thankfully I have free time in the evenings to get all these extracurriculars done) and we have two crazy boy cats.

I'm coming back to running from an injury - I fractured both sesamoid bones in my right foot from skates that were too big. I just started running again about a week and a half ago. I ran 10 half marathons in 2011, 9 in 2010, and 2 in 2009, just to give you an idea where I'm at with regards to running. :) I've also run one marathon and am a certified coach.

My goals are to lose 20 lbs, get more agile, and learn to be a kick-*kitten* jammer/blocker. Two of our "A" team jammers have decided not to continue with us this season, which means more opportunities for those of us coming up. I'm 6'1" but I can get really low, which I've used to my advantage more than once. It blows people's minds. :)

Derby love to all!
  • Gmthatcher
    Gmthatcher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm Gail... I just started skating as fresh meat for the Savannah Derby Devils... I haven't debuted yet, so my name is still up in the air... I grew up skating so derby was the only way to go for me...

I grew up in Indiana and joined the Marines after I graduated from high school... Bounce around the country a bit and hung out in Japan a year then got out and settled down...

Well during the past 10 years I've gotten married and had 4 kids which came with about 40lbs that I've been fighting to lose... I'm hoping derby and this workout will help me do that... My schedual is really screwy since I work third shift, but I'm hoping to stick with it...
  • BettyKrypton
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm Gail... I just started skating as fresh meat for the Savannah Derby Devils... I haven't debuted yet, so my name is still up in the air... I grew up skating so derby was the only way to go for me...
    and this workout will help me do that... My schedual is really screwy since I work third shift, but I'm hoping to stick with it...
    Nice to see Savannah has a derby team! I grew up there and miss it so very much :)
  • heethar
    heethar Posts: 21
    Options
    Hopping on this discussion band wagon I'll do this one too!

Yo! I'm MoJito interim Head NSO (soon to be actual head NSO once the vote is done) from Lehigh Valley Rollergirls out here in lovely PA. I am originally from Seattle and moved out here for college. The typical thing happened, I found a boy and roller derby team so now I'm here for good. I'm a barista (I make lots and lots of coffee and espresso drinks) and because I'm from Seattle I'm really really good at it. Well that and I've been doing it for 6 years. (If you're in the Fort Washington, PA area my shop is at the train station.)

My goals are two fold. I need to get my arss into shape for my October 2012 wedding to Officer Pants (ref from LVRG) and to be healthy. So many weight related diseases run in my family that I need to just eliminate the trigger.

I'm a recent neuroscience graduate and am waiting to hear my fate from graduate schools in the area. I just applied to PhD programs in Philly and NJ. EEK!!! I'm a giant nerd, I love the brain, I'm fanatical about concussions -- WEAR YOUR HELMETS AND MOUTHGUARDS! (You can trust me, I'm a neuroscientist.) I love being an NSO - yelling at you ladies makes my day. :D I've worked with leagues and officials from all over. I love training people to be NSOs and I love telling the public about roller derby.

My fiance as I mentioned is a ref for LVRG and is getting in super shape due to a new skating requirement that we, as officials, agreed on. Basically he's getting into derby shape. *kitten*. ;)

So, there you have it... health, wedding, and life. (I'm also pretending to be a great blogger: www.coffeeandsneakers.blogspot.com)
  • rabidbanjo
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Rabies, and I just finished my first season skating with GTA Rollergirls in Toronto. I started training about a year and a half ago, so I'm still fairly new. I'm was a jammer on our all-rookie team this season, and I really loved it. I'm five feet tall, and not very big (although I like to say that I'm bigger than I look ;), so I'm not really looking to lose weight so much as get in shape. I'm one of those "never played a sport before, always had my period in gym class" types. So with derby, I've pretty much been starting from scratch, fitness-wise. I work in a health food store, and I'm a cyclist, but the winter keeps me off my bike. Yay, winter exercise!
  • fairygrrl
    Options
    Hi All! I am One L of a Hit with the Fairbanks Rollergirls in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have been skating since 2008 and am currently a member of Team FBXRG our All-Stars and Gold Diggers, one of our home teams. I have done bootcamps with a bunch of different folks. Gotham Rollergirls, Bonnie D. Stroir and Smarty Pants to name a few. I'm a veteran and military spouse so sadly this will be my last season with FBXRG as we'll be moving soon.

I did the challenge last year and lost 30lbs and somehow have kept it off! I'm looking forward to doing it again this year!
  • melilope
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am Kryptonite with the OC Roller Girls in southern California. I'm still kinda new to this website, but I'm so glad that I found this group!
    i'm using My Fitness Pal to keep track of my diet and log my workouts. I'm hoping this will lead me to a healthier lifestyle. I have been part of OCRG since 2005. Lately, I've been getting into the mentality that I can eat whatever I want because I will eventually "skate it off". Obviously, my metabolism doesn't work that way. I'm starting to cross train a little more by going to the gym more often. My ultimate goal is to skate faster and hit harder... and to *finally* be able to complete a pull-up!
  • EleanorSplicer
    Options
    Hi ladies!! My name is Kim, but my derby name is Eleanor Splicer. I don't currently skate with a league because I am trying to get back in shape after having my son and gained about 30 pounds after I had him. It's also been a while since I've played any sports or workout so I am looking forward to this challenge to kick my butt and get my ready to try-out for a derby league. I hope to try-out for the Arizona Derby Dames. While I haven't skated since I was in high school and I never really learned how to properly skate due to no sidewalks or pavement where I lived I never was good at it. So I am working on that and hope to be ready for trying out of a banked track league. I will be blogging and hopefully vbloging about the challenge as well feel free to check them out and leave me comments or support.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EleanorSplicer/videos
    http://eleanorsplicer.blogspot.com
  • merddryn
    Options
    I'm Bughouse Cuckoo and I skate with the Peninsula Roller Girls in Redwood City, CA (we are a year old now, yay!). I'm relatively new to this site but though it would be a good way for me to track how I'm doing on the Workout Challenge. I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight but I'd like to shed a little. I skated as a jammer for our travel team at the end of last year but our league is growing fast and more skaters are eligible for the travel time that I need to step it up if I want to keep my spot. There are so many girls in our league that that are "since I started Derby I've lost so much weight" and I have gained weight- no not all of it is muscle. I need to stop, like Kryptonite said, eating anything because I'll just burn the calories at practice. I want to work on my eating habits and gain strength, skate faster and be a lean, mean jamming machine.
  • SarbanesFoxie
    Options
    OK, my turn. My name is Sarbanes Foxie, everyone just calls me Foxie :) I started skating last April as a Bettie with the Bradentucky Bombers in Bradenton Florida. Just made the B team, the Bombshells, first bout 1/12. Like most I lost a few pounds since starting, but I would like to get stronger, leaner. I am hoping to turn myself from blocker to jammer. And not just a fast jammer but a strong, knock the other jammer off the line, blocker-jammer!

I am hoping that this 8 weeks will jump start a habit that I will keep. But ugh, no beer? Maybe 1 at the after party? :)

Good luck strong, beautiful, smart ladies.
  • chloeceleste
    Options
    Hi All!

I'm Chloe but my Derby name is Pinki K. Pow. I am fresh meat with WA roller Derby in Western Australia. I started skating in October last year to lose weight, control my anxiety (exercise and getting involved in things helps!) and to play Roller Derby. i'm going to go all metric on your *kitten* now - since then, I have lost a total of 40cm from my body - I think it all went into my Knee/Elbow/Wrist pads/Stripy socks as smelly sweat :P I have lost 5cm from my thigh, 5cm from my belly, 5cm from my boobs and my butt has got super perky!

I love what derby does to me and for me and I love that I get to meet amazing people that I never would have known - soon from all over the world! (bring on Rollercon 2012!)

I want to gain more confidence in my weak little knees and be able to feel like I can trust my body to handle everything I'm throwing at it :)

There we go, thats me :)
  • DoRAGE
    Options
    Hi, Im DoRage, and Im also fresh meat with El Paso Roller Derby *waves to Eliza*. I joined derby because I saw a bunch of badass tattooed chicks hitting each other on roller skates and thought "sweet!" Also, Im fat. Like 240lbs fat. It crept on during the 2nd half of my undergrad at the University of Michigan. I guess quitting Marching Band will do that to ya... and being hopelessly addicted to fast food (I even named my cat McFlurry) :)
    I really just want to take back my health, and not be the token big girl amongst my svelte friends- or the dependapotamous on Fort Bliss. My goal is to lose 90lbs or so. Being able to finish my 25 in 5 would be nice too- its currently like a 25 in 8.
    I have all the time in the world to focus on my health, being unemployed and childless, so Im taking a "no excuses anymore" attitude.
    Other random tidbits about me: I speak German, play 7 instruments, have a Darth Vader tattoo that Im covering up with an even BIGGER one, Im also the last person you'd expect to be an Officer's wife, and Im currently trying to swindle a grad school into taking me for a Masters in Forensic Accounting program. :)
  • NeysaV
    NeysaV Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So many cool people! Looking forward to talking to you all as we go!

I'm Neysa, and I've just (as in yesterday!) started fresh meat with Geelong Roller Derby League in Victoria, Australia. Glad I'm not the only Aussie here! *waves* I learnt to skate when I was a kid, and spent most of my school breaks on skates at my dad's local rink. I stopped skating when we moved on to a cattle station when I was a teen, and had just started skating again when in January 2009 I blew out my knee (not while skating). After two years of doctors and physios arguing over what I'd done (still no definitive diagnosis!), and the community rehab centre deciding that being able to walk was 'good enough', I cracked it and walked out. I found an amazing physiotherapist, and we began a hard 12 months of rehabilitation that saw me finally get back on skates in November just gone.

My main goal with the challenge is to get fit enough to pass skill assessment. Our fresh meat runs the same time as this challenge, and between the two, I'm hoping to be able to hit the 25-in-5 by late March. I don't want to lose any weight, I really just want to work on my fitness and endurance. I'm not following the meal plan because it doesn't fit at all with my nutrition ideals (some of you may have read the analysis I wrote of the program last week), so I've settled back into my normal diet, and am just keeping an eye on the alcohol.

Derby kind of runs in my blood, as my dad played back in the 70s. I love the community, the enthusiasm, and the athleticism that the new version of the sport brings to the table, though I think my family still remembers the glory days, and worries a tad. Thankfully they are hugely supportive, and my boyfriend deserves a medal, being not only a derby-widow, but a long-suffering PhD-widow as well! Outside of derby, I'm a PhD student in molecular biology and molecular nutrition, I help run an semi-active online roleplaying community, am a twitter addict (@andanin), and love spending time at the pub with my friends. Damn those delicious ciders!

Love and luck ladies!