Fitness Level!

Options
MerryKhaos
MerryKhaos Posts: 34 Member
Hey ladies (and if we get any gents on here), What are your general fitness levels? i had mentioned on FB that I was afraid of the workout challenge not being enough of one. wasn't sure if anyone had done it taht was at an advanced fitness level...

Replies

• Gmthatcher
    Gmthatcher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm at a low level right now... I'm already doing the exercise video at home and skating, but I'm a noob and a mother of 4... Working on getting close to my pre-mommy shape and be able to kick some derby butt...
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm low to mid fitness but am carrying a lot of extra weight that is holding me back. I'm strong and work out each day but I need to get my cardio and muscle twitch actions tweaked so I can be faster and more "springy".

A friend did the Challenge last year and her notes on Facebook indicated she found some parts of the workouts challenging. I've never known anyone to kick *kitten* at speed and endurance skating the way she does... so I'm cautious about it but know I MUST DO IT. I guess you can only see how you find it and kick it up a notch if you need to.
  • MerryKhaos
    Options
    The league did the actual DVD a couple times last season, and there are definitely going to be exercises that challenge everyone. After it was done, we all discussed and said the DVD itself feels like more of a Beginner to Mid level. You guys should get a LOT out of it.

I've been skating for two and half years (WEIRD!! I'm going into my third season as an all star! WHAT???), lol and I've been pushing myself hard the whole time. I look over what we're doing ... and I'd rather work smarter not harder. If you vary your workout, you won't have to do 200 pushups. You can do 50 pushups, 2 minutes of plank, 30 burpees, and 2 minutes of mountain climber. You'll work more muscles and get more variance.

Plus... 200 pushups is terrible for ANY shoulders. unless you're 18. So... I will be doing the challenge, but I'm more looking for the community aspect. I'm taking a weight training class as my gym this semester, so between that and trying to get my running up to 5 miles, three times a week, plus parts of RDWC, I should be good..

Sorry. I talk a lot. :-)
  • kerosenekisses463
    kerosenekisses463 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Without beating myself up TOO much, I'm definitely low-level. Working on getting into a routine...and/or figuring out a routine that works. It's a lot of trial and error. I have a few resources at home, which is great, since I can't spend a lot of money on classes at the moment. Right now it's all about strengthening muscles and getting comfy on skates again.
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    200 pushups... hmmm, really?

Having read and followed a metric crapload of books, magazines, DVDs etc on health and fitness, what you have suggested Merry is more in line with what I was thinking the challenge would entail. All PT's I've encountered these days are about using large and small muscles together, plyometrics etc. I'm so curious now!

BTW - talk as much as you want! :)
  • miacupcake
    Options
    I'm definitely low level. The video kicks my butt and I can barely get halfway through without taking a significant break. BUT! I am also 60+ pounds overweight, so that could be it too!

I'm starting my first skating season with my roller derby league (been involved for quite some time, just now skating :)
  • breakinspine222
    breakinspine222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fitness level is fairly low, but a lot higher than it was a year ago (or, ever for that matter).
    The first time I tried the DVD, I could barely get half way through it. Now there are still some parts I find challenging, but I can get all the way through it without a break. I am not able to do it often though (the person in the apartment below me does not seem to appreciate me stomping on the creaky hardwood floor haha)
    Right now I am skating twice a week - at least one practice, and one open skate at my local rink. I bought an elliptical a few months ago, so I go on that every day that I don't skate.
  • Fridawhipya
    Options
    Mid fitness level here. Im about 20 lbs overweight but I work out most days. skate at least 3 and sometimes 4. on off days I jog, do the Roller Derby Video.. which I can do most of without stopping. I broke my ankle a year ago and missed my very first banked track bout ever and now am returning to flat track for a more realistic derby experience at age 40.. haha.. I hope to get back to the endurance I had ankle break and work on my goals of loosing the 20 lbs. glad to join you all
  • AnyaArson
    AnyaArson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd like to believe I'm a solid mid level. I was one of the three fastest skaters in my league earlier this year, and top two (after the olympic speed skaters) in the other league I started, and I can skate at a decent pace until the cows come home, but I suck at running and extended bursts of energy.

I want to improve my multidirectional mobility and rapid twitch, and to increase and better use my strength.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd say at least mid-level or higher for cardio endurance, thanks to running, and a solid mid-level for everything else, but what exactly does the challenge entail? Is it posted somewhere?

I joined the Facebook group, too, but I didn't see a list of specific exercises... I'm guessing you have to be a member first?
  • SiaHurlher
    Options
    Right now, I'd say low to medium. I'm it amping up now cos my first Raw session is next Wednesday. EEP!!

It's been an awesome summer down here, so I've been trying to do outdoor skates. Been walking to keep general fitness up. I'm going to try Pilates this year- one of my derby mates recommended it.
  • Tubrookulosis
    Options
    I feel fairly active, I'd say I'm somewhere in the mid range. I don't really know what that means though, I'm trying to do something significant for 6 days a week and rest one. I would love to lose 10 pounds before our next spring season starts. I'm working to jam more than I already do, I usually pivot (for our travel team) and jam for the intraleague but I would love to break through as a jammer for the former. It's tough to know where I stand activity wise because I live in a super active place. I'm doing the tough mudder run in phoenix which is a 12 mile obstacle course, that is really giving me something to train for in the next couple of weeks. After that it's derby derby derby!
  • runningathena
    Options
    Right now, I'd say low to medium. I'm it amping up now cos my first Raw session is next Wednesday. EEP!!

It's been an awesome summer down here, so I've been trying to do outdoor skates. Been walking to keep general fitness up. I'm going to try Pilates this year- one of my derby mates recommended it.

Pilates is awesome! If you like working out at home, I recommend the 10-Minute Solutions: Pilates Perfect Body DVD. The workouts are short enough that you're not bored but also challenging enough that you're feeling it. I like to do the ab and lower body segments with skates on for an extra burn. :)
  • MerryKhaos
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=397034985143

That's the fb page from last years. Go in the discussions, you can look over the workouts, meal plans and homeworks. ^_^
  • runningathena
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=397034985143

That's the fb page from last years. Go in the discussions, you can look over the workouts, meal plans and homeworks. ^_^

It looks like FB has started to shut it down... all that's left is the wall stuff and photos. Sad panda face! I joined the Roller Derby Workout Challenge Primer on Fleetly. That'll keep me busy for now. :)
  • runningathena
    Options
    Here's the website for the other challenge (that runs until 1/28):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road-to-Rollergirl/348086971884310
  • heethar
    heethar Posts: 21
    Options
    Dude - I am so low level its ridiculous. I gained 60lbs in the last year and let me tell you I feel every bit of it. So really I'm working on this not only for my wedding that's coming up in October but I miss being active. I miss not being out of breath when I'm walking with a basket of laundry (sad, I know) and I miss not needing my rescue inhaler so much. This will be a slow start (more gentle than slow) so that I don't re-injure myself but it's going to happen. I'm so glad this is such a great community to be a part of (roller derby that is).

Heather (MoJito)
    NSO extraordinaire