Winter 5ks?

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
Does anyone know of any nice (i.e. not in a santa suit) winter 5k runs? I'd really like to clear the hurdle of doing a 5k, before I go for a 10 in (I hope) the spring.

I'm in the midlands, but wouldn't mind travelling a bit.

Replies

• katielouise24
    Options
    Hey there, not to sure of ones in the Winter I'm afraid but if your looking at doing 10ks in the new year - I'd highly reccomend looking at this website.. They are so much fun http://www.aaa-adventure.co.uk/Home.html I'm pretty new to 10k's and it's not as extreme as they say on here but check it out for 10ks with a difference x
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Go to a site called www.parkrun.com to find a local 5k organised run in your local park. These runs take part weekly, they are free and great fun.

I quite often take part in the Coventry 5k run. It's every sat in the memorial park. You have to register on the site, print a voucher then just turn up to take part.

Let us know how you get on.
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm a parkrunner too! Hoping to do a tour of the North West over winter before the 2012 events start :smile:
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Hi,

Go to a site called www.parkrun.com to find a local 5k organised run in your local park. These runs take part weekly, they are free and great fun.

I quite often take part in the Coventry 5k run. It's every sat in the memorial park. You have to register on the site, print a voucher then just turn up to take part.

Wow, that sounds perfect - thank you!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Parkrun is a really good option, I'm dying to try it however can't do the next few saturdays. If you wan a race there's a couple coming up in the midlands (i use runnersworld.co.uk events and search engine).

Good luck!
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm a parkrunner too! Hoping to do a tour of the North West over winter before the 2012 events start :smile:

That's a good idea. I might do the same! :happy:
  • chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Wow, that sounds perfect - thank you!

Thanks for that - didn't even know about that site....been trying to find a 5k or 10k to do before attempting my first ever half marathon at the end of March, and found a 5k through this site which would be good for me :-)

Thanks
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Basingstoke parkrunner reporting in!
  • ManchesterBlonde
    ManchesterBlonde Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I run the 5K Heaton Park (North Manchester) parkrun each Saturday - this Saturday was my 53rd parkrun since May 2010. They are great fun and they challenge you to try and get a PB each week. Best thing is they are free and fun!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If anyone's planning to come to the Pennington Flash parkrun give us a wave - I'll be the one near the back huffing and puffing!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I run the 5K Heaton Park (North Manchester) parkrun each Saturday - this Saturday was my 53rd parkrun since May 2010. They are great fun and they challenge you to try and get a PB each week. Best thing is they are free and fun!

Blast from the past. I used to play in Heaton Park when I was really little. I thought the lions in front of Heaton Hall were MASSIVE. It was such a disappointment, as an adult, to go back and realise they barely came up to my knees!

Sounds like you had a great run!
  • wantmorepies
    Options
    I'm the event director of Bradford parkrun, hope you'll include us in your parkrun tour, we have a beautiful park.
    135 runners this morning! :smile: