Triggering info within group (suggestion?).

Options
busterbluth
busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
I know this isn't my group, so forgive me if I'm way out of line. . .this is just a suggestion, and all of your feedback would be appreciated.

This is a recovery-oriented group, and within several threads numbers are mentioned (BMI, weight loss, etc). Due to the competitive/screwed up nature of eating disorders, you think it's a good idea not to have those here? Or to add a trigger warning to the subject line if threads are going to include these?

Part of me wants to be well, but there's also this part of me that wants to be the skinniest (of course). It sucks.

Replies

• PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I think it's really common amongst people with ED to want to be the "best anorexic" or the "best bulimic"...whatever that may mean. I totally agree that seeing those numbers can be really triggering.
    My therapist always tells me to focus on other numbers that are equally as important, like cholesterol number, resting heart rate, etc...not the number on the scale. I think that's sort of helpful for me.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm group mod so if enough people express an opinion that they want these kinds of numbers blanked out it can be done!
  • bellaoj62
    bellaoj62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Although I see merit in your concern Regarding it being triggering,
    sometimes it is essential to share information such as BMI's etc, so that even if your unwell brain is still telling you 'your fat' your BMI is clearly underweight, and I think it helps to have that realistic number in front of you.
    And to share that with other people so they can legitimately support us in telling us that it is ED talking...and that isn't the reality.
    But I definately can see the triggering side of it, whenever I see someone else who is also 169cm I always want to weight less than them. But I have come to the realisation that All body shapes are different regardless of size.

Anyways
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm group mod so if enough people express an opinion that they want these kinds of numbers blanked out it can be done!

I think it's more a question of having the topic subject contain a warning, so people don't wander into a "loaded" topic by accident.

I think people should try to be sensitive, but what people find triggering varies.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Personally i try not to do it unless I am making a statement like my bmi was this when I almost died or lost all of my bowel from abusing laxatives. Usually if I see it i will say something b/c as we know i can be blunt when it comes to peoples lives as it is not a game. A warning in the title is good to. Whatever Milli thinks would work
  • littlemili
    Options
    How about this. If you feel something is triggering hit the report button and explain it in the comment box. Then I'll edit the post with a big TRIGGERING sign at the top of it and I'll also say what aspect is triggering (eg, weight, BMI, whatever else). I can't obviously trawl every post but maybe that would be a good half way thing. I don't think censoring is useful...but bc some people are triggered by that kind of thing, understandably, it's worth having some system in place.
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think that is a good idea ^^^

At least when people post numbers they should write TRIGGERING in the subject title.

Numbers really are what seems to trigger me the most when reading other's post..
  • littlemili
    Options
    Guys please let me know how you feel I am doing. I am trying to go through all the new posts every couple of days and remove any mentions of BMI, weight, etc. But then again I don't know if there are other things that need warnings bc for example I have no experience of BP so I don't know what potential trigger issues there are for people in that area. Please give me some feedback!