Introduce yourself + What time are you looking for?

Options
mrkp
mrkp Posts: 30 Member
I'm Steve and I'm running the Greater Manchester Marathon in April as the first significant step towards my three year goal of completing an Ironman. I've run several half marathons before, but have never stepped up to the full distance. I've also never shifted the weight to compete properly so this time I'm going all out to try and shift my gut too.

I'm looking to get round in about 4:30hrs but the main goal is to simply get round. Anything else is a bonus.

Replies

• hansada2
    hansada2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Adam. Im 27 and I am running my first marathon on april 21st. Im running the Salt Lake City Marathon and I am looking for under 4 hours. Hopefully all goes well. I'm currently training with Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan. working well so far. hope we can all support each other.
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    Hey!

My names Rhia and I'm running my first marathon on May 7th! I live in London but I'm running the Belfast Marathon in Northern Ireland where I'm from! I know some people doing the London marathon which is 2 weeks before so I'm hoping to get out on some runs with them!

I have no idea what time I'm gonna be able to do it in but I'd love to do it in around 4 and a half hours!
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options
    Hello, I'm Speedy (its actually the name everyone calls me, it has nothing to do with my running abilities)

I'm doing the Greater Manchester Marathon, it will probably be my first and only 26.2. I'm predominately a fell and trail runner, but I have to get the marathon monkey off my back! I'm tired of friends and family asking me "When are you doing a marathon then?" Doing this race will finally put all that to bed.

If I'm honest I am more worried about the Winter Hill fell race in February, its only 11 miles but is over really tough hills and moorland and has 2700ft of climb to contend with, at least the marathon will be flat!

I just want to finish in a respectable time however I'd be over the moon with a sub 4 hour but I won't be bothered if I fall outside of 4 hours.

Best of luck everyone, lets do it! :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Berry and I'm running London, and despite having been a runner for 15 years I'm probably the slowest runner here as I am in any other group of runners!

Strictly speaking it's my second marathon, but I did my first so ill and injured I would have dropped out if I hadn't raised so much for charity and practically crawled home in 7 hours. After eight unsuccessful applications, I've got my own ballot place this year and I'm looking to do it in 5.5 or thereabouts.

I'm using an adapted version of Hal Higdon's "Novice Supreme" and will decide when I get up to about 10 miles whether to employ Jeff Galloway's run/walk method. If I do it'll be at run 4/walk 1 which my running buddies use, and they manage to get sub-4 times!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

My name is Molly and I'm 23 years old (almost 24) living in Virginia, USA. I am training for my first marathon on April 7, 2012 in Charlottesville, VA. I've done one half (in around 2:04) and absolutely LOVED it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish.

I am following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan (18 weeks), and all has been going well so far. Feel free to follow my blog documenting my progress - I update it once a week, I'm starting week 6 right now:

http://marathonmolly.wordpress.com/

In the back of my mind I hope to finish around 4:30, but I know that just finishing will be a great accomplishment - plus the marathon course I chose is really quite hilly (but I chose it cause I went to college there), so I'm trying to keep my expectations low (that's hard to do!)
  • charlottefairbairn
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Thank you to whoever set up this group - fantastic idea :)

My name is Charlotte and I'm London based, and I'm running Brighton Marathon in April - pleased to meet you all!

This is actually my fourth marathon attempt (completed 2 but it was not pretty or expected time, and DNF on 1). I don't yet really feel I've completed one that I'm happy with yet, so this is my first real attempt at hitting a ~4:00hr marathon. I seem to hold up fine then everything falls apart at miles 21-24, so I'm hoping that I can really push through that wall in April!

Really hoping that we can all support one another to our mutual goals, and any London runners pop me a message if you want to join up on a long training run one weekend.

Best of luck and chat soon

Charlotte x
  • soupster3
    soupster3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey one and all!

So my name is Anne and I'm currently training for my first full marathon in April. The Eugene marathon in Oregon. Running in the footsteps of legends :) hopefully not tripping! So I've run a few half marathons with some satisfaction. However my marathon training has actually been really hard to stick to food goals. I'm more than a little disappointed that I've gained weight. I'm currently nursing an inflamed tendon in my foot which is festering my negative left brain. So here I am..in all my honesty looking for food tips and maybe some encouragement :) And I offer on return my sincere hope for success for all of you :)
    Thanks
  • emzley
    emzley Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Everyone

My name is Emily, I started running early last year. I ran 2 marathons last year. Brighton Marathon April 2011 in 3 hrs 59 then florence marathon in Italy last Nov in 3 hrs 27 mins. I have become a little addicted to running, joined a running club last year and have been reading and taking notes on training etc.
    I am running the Brighton Marathon in April again this year and am hoping to run it in under 3 hours 15 mins in order to qualify for a championship entry to the London Marathon for 2013.
    Training has (touch wood) been going really well.
    I hope everyones training is going really well and it's really nice to meet people that share the same passion!

Emily