Training program help!

Options
vespaberrie
vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
I'm a total novice runner/ jogger.. I'd like to work up to running my first HM in October of 2012. It seems that most of the training progams are for those with at least a little running experience. I have NONE. Any suggestions on programs, where to start? A program easily adaptable for treadmill use would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• girllimberlost
    Options
    I use Hal Higdon's programs. He has ones for just starting out and then mid and high level, so you can adjust them to what you need. Couch-to-5K is a good program to get into running period. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml It is 9 weeks and that is how I started running. Lots of good information on there as well.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would start with a training program for a 5k or 10k and work your way up. I'm using the Hal Higdon training program and he has one for 5k,10k and up. They are free to print. I run on a treadmill in the winter. Since October is a ways away you have time to get a few smallr races under your belt.
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for training for smaller distances first. It's so much fun to hit your goal and run a race earlier on that I'd keep the half as your eventual (October) goal but focus more primarily on some 5k races and then 10 races in the meantime. That way you have those intermediate goals to keep you motivated while building up your running base a bit more.

I used to run distance, but just got back into running a couple years ago and have been taking my time (probably more than I needed to) getting back up into higher mileage. But that approach has also kept me sane and enjoying each distance that I focus on along the way, rather than feeling exhausted...
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm a total novice runner/ jogger.. I'd like to work up to running my first HM in October of 2012. It seems that most of the training progams are for those with at least a little running experience. I have NONE. Any suggestions on programs, where to start? A program easily adaptable for treadmill use would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Work up to it fairly slowly. If you are like me you have a natural inclination to jump in with both feet and do as much as you feel you can. But keep in mind, your heart and lungs will progress much faster than your joints & bones...and it takes time for them to build up the stamina necessary to handle the pounding of running distances.

The one thing I've read that I try to follow pretty closely now is the "10% rule": try to never increase your total running distance from one week to the next by more than 10%. So if you run a total of, say 10 miles this week, next week try to run a total of 11 miles, then 12 the next, etc. That way your joints & bones can build up stamina along with your muscles and heart/lungs.
  • vespaberrie
    vespaberrie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I walked a 5k in November, doing another on in Feb. and March. I think if I start training with c25k I should be ready to run the one in March.
    Any other suggestions gladly accepted.

Thanks again
    Vespa
  • mjones513
    Options
    Another vote for Couch 2 5k and then after that up to 10k I've heard is good, although I haven't used either, I know many people who do and love them. I used Hal Higdon's plans for my half marathons and thought they were great.
  • chmelancon
    Options
    I've tried several training methods over the years and I've found a few tips that really help. I'd agree that the 10% rule is extremely important - never increase your weekly or long run mileage by more than 10%. Also, every 3rd week, drop back a bit on your mileage and give your body a rest. Strength training has really helped me to overcome those nasty "overuse" injuries that pop up over time so I always build in time for to stay strong.
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Check out your local YMCA! Mine has programs for 0-5k all the way through Marathon training. And what's even better, you'll likely find that there's a running group that has formed on their own. We have one that gets together on Saturdays, they do a different route each week and drop water and Gaterade the night before. Great support and once you start getting to those long distances good to have people around! But we're here too!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K, and it was amazing! After that I found Runner's World Smartcoach. You can access it for free online or download the app if you have an iPhone. You can make a plan from 5k to marathon, I think even an ultra on it. I'm using it for the third time now as I prepare for my next HM. I like the 16 week plans, they move up gradually and use your current level to give you pacing and distance instruction. Once you've done C25K it should make total sense to you!!!

Good luck!!!
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

I'm a total novice as well. Well I did a 1/2 marathon labor day weekend of 2002 and totally got out of shape. But what worked for me back then was Hal Higdon's training plan. I plan to do the same half marathon that I did Labor Day weekend 10 years ago. (I can't believe it's been 10 years). I'm working on building my endurance till I can safely do 3-5 miles a few times a week and then 12 weeks before it's time for the half marathon I will use the training plan. Best of luck on your journey.