Running, Racing Nutrition

Options
Has anyone here read either 'Food Guide for New Runners' or 'Sport Nutrition Guidebook', both authored by Nancy Clark? If so, do you recommend?

I've never run a half before, but the sense I'm getting is that training for a half will require figuring out what your fluid + calorie intake will need to be during the race. Not just what foods/fluids, but at what rate.
I find this daunting, as I have not carried food or gels or water before when running either a 4-miler or a 10K.

Any references or advice would be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Clif Bar's website has a cool pace band maker that not only helps you with splits, but tells you when it's time to load on calories (either by bar or gel). I've been following their suggestions and it's good for me.

http://www.clifbar.com/play/pace_band/

It's made for a marathon, but just adjust the time for a half marathon.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    As I'm still pretty new to the whole running thing, I can only say what's worked for me and I haven't read any books about it. I ran my first half last fall so I trained all summer.

On shorter runs (6 miles or less) I just went out and ran without water and just what was in my system for fuel (I eat breakfast an hour before a morning run). When I got to the longer training runs, I would experiment with different types of fuel and water combos, which also depended on the heat and conditions. I bought a hydration belt (mine is by Nathan and I love it) and would fill the bottles with water/gatorade/some of each. I also found that I liked the Jelly Belly Sport Beans and would have a few every 4 miles, so I'd use one-two packages depending on the length of my run. There are TONS of options at your local sports store, or some grocers carry some as well. Find out what works during your training runs and use that for your race.

At my race, they had water/Gu stations every couple of miles that were well stocked and I was fine with what was there (took both water and Gu each time) but I wish I had used the Gu prior so my tummy would have liked it better, but it really was ok. Next summer I plan to try even more things. I didn't use my hydro belt during my race, it does weigh you down a bit, but I saw people who did. I found the water stations were enough, but wasn't planning to need a lot since it was cooler.

Good luck! So far in my running life I would say that the half was challenging, but really fun!!!!
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    @AliceIsRunning - thanks - I had heard about these 'pace' bands and assumed they were for hitting negative splits, etc. - didn't occur to me that they could remind you to hydrate and re-fuel!
    @Nikstergirl - sounds like a good plan - to try out different things so that you know what you prefer in terms of what and what format.

thanks for the suggestions! i am a klutz and so far i already know that i cannot drink water and move at the same time! :ohwell:
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options

thanks for the suggestions! i am a klutz and so far i already know that i cannot drink water and move at the same time! :ohwell:

I'm the same way! LOL
    I make a mess at water stations during races - with regular paper cups. I need a sippy cup/bottle for running LOL
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My marathon/iron man friend gave me a good tip with the paper water cups...she said when you grab it, bend it to put a crease its much easier to drink. More or less its more like a pitcher :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Also, don't worry if you just walk or at least slow way down through the water stations... everyone will. You'll pick right back up once you drop the cups!!! We make a huge mess as runners... but I really tried to hit the trash bins!!!
  • Edumovich
    Edumovich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half this past fall, I found with training that you have to see what works for you. A lot of people suggested the gels to me but they made me absolutely sick to my stomach. I found that gatorade was just too sugary during a run also. Water worked best along with the jelly belly beans every couple miles or so. I had never run more than 3 miles before training for the half, I found that once I got up in mileage I would experience severe stomach cramping...........the only thing that helped was to drink water and eat some jelly beans when I felt it coming on............that helped. Also before long runs you will have to figure out what to eat before the run. A long run meaning 10+ miles.............cinnamon rolls and milk worked the best for me..........load up on carbs for your long runs, it gives you energy and it helped with my stomach cramping. Good luck with your training............just see what works for you!
  • Edumovich
    Edumovich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks, everyone, for all the tips!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't eat on shorter runs. I may or may not take a water bottle on a 10K run, depends how I am feeling when I start out. Lately I have been more dehydrated in the mornings, so I have. On longer runs, I do take my water bottle, and for 15k+, I take some trail mix in my pocket. I have a lot of allergies, so I don't generally do the sports candies, though I can have Sharkies or Stingers and do for a treat now and then. Usually just make my own trail mix with non-allergic foods.

Pam