IronMan

Options
crux
crux Posts: 454 Member
Rather than start another group, I thought I'd do this as a thread within the main Tri group.

So who has done one, who is training for one, or is even preparing for one in the next few years?

IM & HIM racers more than welcome to contribute!

I wanted a place to help with finding like minded friends, support, training & nutrition tips for the longer tri races.

Replies

• R8uge
    R8uge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great thread Crux!

I have been training hard for the Ironman Wales 2011 that even involved doing loads of different races and starting the prolific Knutsford Tri Club in Cheshire, UK. A few weeks before and 10 days prior to running the Mont Blanc Marathon I blew my L5 disc in my lower back. I then had surgery to have it removed, I was incredibly lucky as it could have been so much worse. My surgeon did not think I would ever walk properly again. My back op was on June 22nd '11 and I told my surgeon that I would be back on my bike before the end of the year - I did a spin class on New Year's Eve, so I sneaked in by 14 hours!

Loads of nerve damage and constant pain that will dillute away and I be back running mid/late summer. As I have unfinished business I will do one in '13 as my surgeon is expecting my medal.

Thankfully when in extreme "ceiling staring" mode for week after week, I studied the detail of how to complete an Ironman - the nutrition, training palns, techniques, mental exercises, effeciency etc etc which I know will come in handy. After a lifetime of high level sport I have always learnt, so much, from the best, if it works for them.......

Great thread Crux and I look forward to cheering you all on to exceed your goals.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I've got my eye set on IMAZ 2013 for my first full. After my first half that I finished last month I'm focusing more on building a bigger base this year with maybe 2-3 1/2 distance races.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The plan is in the next few years here, but you knew that.
    BTW - I took your suggestion, my book is in the mail. Should be here the first of next week. Can't wait.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Gulp...

I've done a bunch of HIMs, and Redman 2009. It didn't go as hoped but I still finished.

USA Triathlon club nationals are at Redman (Oklahoma City) again this year, and I've had a bunch of friends point that out already, and ask if I'm going back for some redemption. My current volume is enough to support an attempt, but I'm not sure I want to put myself through it all again. That was a very intense summer. I definitely need to shed many pounds first.

On a good note, I've learned the hard way what works and what doesn't. So I should be able to train and race better. Oh jeez. What to do.

As far as tips go, Muhammad Ali said it best: "The WILL must be stronger than the SKILL." Make sure to develop both, and you'll do just fine.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    @trijoe - I actually do plan on taking your suggestions as well, as odd as one is :)
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did Great Floridian Iron Distance in 2003 and Ironman Texas in 2010. Plan to do another in 2015! Love the distance!
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey

well its Ironman Wales 2013 for me as well, my first tri event but a running addict use to racing long, the swim on the tri events scares me but I know I can do it and get through then relax into the long bike and enjoy the run, I like the transition from bike to run, gives my run a bouncy feel and I generally run a touch faster as i feel I'm going slow (in comparrison to bike) odd to explain but a great feeling when it falls into place for me :-)
  • trijoe
    Options
    I am a fountain of odd comments. :tongue:

Not sure which one spoke to you, but hey. I just hope it helps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The training book suggestions. :)
    I am actually going to check out both.
  • trijoe
    Options
    Oh The Places You'll Go?

Yeah. I can see that. Heh heh! Still, it's a great motivational tool.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    After I finished my first 1/2... I really gained a lot of respect for the full distance. At this point in my training I couldn't imagine being out there for 2x the distance/time. Definitely takes a lot of mental endurance.
  • stefanieswanger
    stefanieswanger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have completed two Half Ironman (Augusta 2010 and 2011) and am slated to do two this year as well.

My eventual goal is to complete an Ironman which earliest would be IMFL 2013. (It is full for 2012 and I would like to volunteer in 12 to get a spot for 13.) If not then I guess maybe 2014 or I might shoot for a different race. I hate to think of pushing it that far back but it might just be my reality.

I have had many a conversation with my coach about the ironman distance (she is a 5 time finisher and 2 time Kona qualifier/finisher) and we both agree that IMFL will suit my strengths the best. (Flat Bike/Colder Weather) No matter how much I train the the Georgia hills and heat, they just aren't my forte when it comes to triathlons.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Im planning on gettign there but This past year I got sidetracked with some injuries and then lost motivation. Hoping to reclaim all that this year. Depending on the first quarter and how things go I may try and do a HIM in the late season.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My goal is an iron distance duathlon in 2013. This year is about going goal weight with some sprint & international distance dus.
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone with like goals. My goal is to do a HIM, Augusta 70.3 this September. I have several races planned this year and the HIM will top off my schedule.
  • trijoe
    Options
    You guys/gals who've signed up for long races, I hope you post how you did afterward. Especially if it's your first time at the distance. Nothing like the first time!
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on a few sprint duathlons this summer, did a couple last year, found myself coming in very near the top of my age group and near the top overall for the women and am now completely hooked! Shooting for a half ironman duathlon in August, the goal for the first one will just be to get a feel for the longer distance.
    Have done a few century rides and will be doing my 4th marathon in May... so OK with the longer distances, but will start with the half for combining them :)
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I did Ironman Canada in 2010 and absolutely loved it.

I'm signed up to do Ironman Canada again this year, 2012 and am busy training now.

I beat my goal in 2010 by 15 minutes and 20 seconds. My goal this year is 44 minutes and 41 seconds faster than that :)

This year has me doing an Olympic with a pool swim in March, a Half Iron in June, another Half Iron in July, and then IMC in August.

My race report from 2010 is here (http://noattentionspan.com/blog/?p=2158) if you have an interest in reading it and seeing where my head space was in the days after.

S
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Great race report Kilter!
  • isanomade
    isanomade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am training for HIM Tremblant in June. The longest I have ever done is an Olympic tri last Fall. Lots of hills on the Mont-Tremblant course, it will definitely be a challenge!