new here ...thinking about LapBand and a little worried!

Options
cindous
cindous Posts: 3 Member
Hi all -- I hope this new discussion is appropriate for this group. If not, please accept my apologies. I've been using MFP since November and just joined this group.

I am 43 years old and 100 lbs overweight -- most of which has come on gradulaly over the last 10 years (and 3 kids) -- although I have been overweight most of my adult life. I've been contemplating having the LapBand surgery, but yesterday after some online research I quickly realized I had WAY underestimated what life is like post-surgery.

I guess what I'm wondering is stuff like:
- is it weird having the port coming out of body? (that is totally freaking me out)
- do you have it forever?
- and how hard is it really to get thru the liquid and soft/liquid diet phases post surgery? (i.e. do you EVER eat normally again?)
- is the band surgery something that I should look at as a lifelong thing? like the eating/drinking modifications and such?

I know it's a lot of questions, and thank you for reading this. I hoped all of you might have some great input with all your experiences, that would maybe help me with my decision.

Thanks,
Cindi :-)

Replies

• sherbehr
    Options
    Hi Cindi. I am about two weeks away from lap band surgery and my husband is about a month past his. The port is under his ribcage about mid torso on the left side and you cant tell he has one. He cant feel it unless he touches it. The surgery is a life long comitment and you should go into it knowing that. It can come out if needed. I start my 10 days of liquid this coming sunday and im nervous, but my husband said that as long as you keep it full of the proper liquids it keeps you full. I dont know if i will feel the same way!!! :smile: His post sergury is going well and he only complains that he wants tacos (his favorite food) but its coming up for him a week from Friday. You should go into this thinking that you will have this the rest of your life, but were finding out that healthy food and getting up and moving has helped us loose weight prior to surgery.

We found that our support group was a great help for us to get answers and hear their stories. Every we have talked to has never regreted their decision to have it.

Hope my answers helped and feel free to ask me more!

Sherry
  • Lisalisa_67
    Options
    I am 5 months post op. It is absolutely the best decision I have ever made. But it does take discipline and a lifetime commitment. The different stages of diets can be frustrating. Right after surgery the full liquid diet can get old and you want to eat real food. I would advise to stay on the full liquid as long as you can. I choose to do a liquid every now and then. I cannot see my port but I can feel it. That is the only time I notice it. Recovery time is quicker versus other forms of weight loss surgery. Just remember if you are not willing to make a lifetime commitment, the lapband is not for you. It is a tool and not a solution.
  • MsPinVa
    MsPinVa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5 months post op. It is absolutely the best decision I have ever made. But it does take discipline and a lifetime commitment. The different stages of diets can be frustrating. Right after surgery the full liquid diet can get old and you want to eat real food. I would advise to stay on the full liquid as long as you can. I choose to do a liquid every now and then. I cannot see my port but I can feel it. That is the only time I notice it. Recovery time is quicker versus other forms of weight loss surgery. Just remember if you are not willing to make a lifetime commitment, the lapband is not for you. It is a tool and not a solution.

"It is a tool and not a solution."

Please understand this. 11 years post-op with RNY, took me 8 to full understand this concept. :-/
  • Pengygirl24
    Options
    Hello, I have had the lap band surgery for 2years. It was the best decision I have ever made. I have lost 74lbs so far, and am keeping it off. The port is a little weird, because I've lost the weight and can now feel it, but you get used to it. You can choose to have it taken out, but it is not recommended. I felt that it was easy to get thru the stages because I wasn't all that hungry after surgery anyways. And yes, it is a lifetime commitment, I agree, it is a tool, and not a solution. The hardest part I have found is sometimes eating too much because my mind keeps telling me I'm hungry when my stomach is screaming no, you're full.
    I hoped I helped and good luck :)
  • Hi there! I had LapBand surgery on Sept 26, 2011 so as of tomorrow I am 15 weeks post-op. I am 30 years old, 6 foot tall and my highest weight was 303lbs. I did a lot of research and comparison between the LapBand surgery and the Gastric Bypass surgery to decide what was best for me. I decided to choose this one because I didn't want the higher risk of complications, the probable malnutrition, or the thought of changing my inner anatomy.(Don't get me wrong, losts of gastric bypass peeps are sucessful and avoid these problems, it just wasn't for me.) The drawback is that the weight comes off slower and you have to see your surgeon monthly, at least for the first year after, for fills if they are needed. On the day of surgery I weighed 292lbs and as of this morning I am at 270.4lbs.

So the port thing is a little weird, I can feel it under my skin and if I lay on my stomach. You can't see it right now but I have hear from others with the band that once the weight is lost, some people do have a visible lump.

You are meant to have the band for the rest of your life, and it's built to last. Removal usually only happens if there's some sort of complication.

Each person with a band is different as far as what they can eat or drink after the band is placed. I can tell you that the few days after my surgery were the worst, I was able to take down liquids but it was slow. The weeks after got better, and now I am able to eat most things without a problem as long as I CHEW. Learn to chew foods thoroughly because if you don't, they will get stuck, and it's not a fun feeling.

Choosing LapBand surgery is a lifelong choice. You need to modify your entire outlook on food. It's something I still struggle with and probably will for a long time. Food has to become fuel, because you can only put so much of it in your body at one time, you need to consider what every bite will do for you.

Overall, I think it's the best choice I ever made for myself. It's not easy, there are still days when I don't eat the right things, still haven't mustered up the gusto to exercise like I should (and if I did I'm sure I'd be losing more weight, more quickly), I do get discouraged, but there are a few sites I've discovered that help me on my bad days along with this one:

www.obesityhelp.com
    www.wlsfa.org
    www.lapband.us
    www.youtube.com

YouTube has been the greatest help for me because there is a huge community of WLSers who post video blogs of their journey on a regular basis, they help each other out. I hope this helps you out too! Have a great day :)

Beth
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I had lap band surgery on july 3, 2008. It ended up being not for me (I had revision surgery to RNY Gastric bypass 12-11), but I can answer your questions.

- is it weird having the port coming out of body? (that is totally freaking me out) I could feel mine under my abdomen, but it never bothered me. I didn't notice it unless I pushed down (like if I bumped into a counter or something like that)

- do you have it forever? It is recommended to keep forever, but it can be removed

- and how hard is it really to get thru the liquid and soft/liquid diet phases post surgery? (i.e. do you EVER eat normally again?) Yes, you can be able to eat normally again, it only takes a couple of months HOWEVER there were foods that I could not tolerate easily (rice, soft breads, dry meats). The pre and post op diets are not that horrible, i promise!

- is the band surgery something that I should look at as a lifelong thing? like the eating/drinking modifications and such? When you have the surgery you are signing up for a life long lifestyle change. It shouldn't be looked at like a short term "diet', because it is not. After surgery you need to keep a log of your protein, vitamins, liquid intake, exercise, and you should not eat and drink at the same time.

I watched a WLS video on youtube the other night. The lady said that WLS should be viewed as a reset button. You've lived your life as an obese person & you've done damage to your body. The surgery is a reset tool to get your body to where it should be. It is up to you to get it there and keep it there.
  • thagberg2011
    thagberg2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had my lap band 1/11/11. I was originally 236lbs prior to surgery. I lost 50 lbs by 2/25/11, I had a horrible year in 2011 my mom passed away, my marriage almost fell apart, etc. Well I am a stress eater and I as of right now gained all of it back and added 3 lbs. So I am starting over with the new year. The Lap Band surgery itself was worth it, but if you have emotional eating issues get that resolved prior to the surgery. As for the port I dont even see it.
  • cindous
    cindous Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you all SO much! I love all the info and points of view!!

Right now it's boiled down to this: am I going to have to give up eating my favorite foods and drinking socially? I know that might sound silly, but I guess I'm just sort of scared of such a drastic change. Don't get me wrong -- I NEED a lifestyle change badly. And actually, as I type this now, I'm realizing I probably won't be missing that much, since I'll be gaining so much (not weight of course, but health)!! I actually WANT to stop obsessing about my weight/food/drinking/etc and just look at food as fuel. Plus start exercising for real, which I've been pretty lazy at. I guess what I'm saying is I want a new obsession: my fitness!

(does this post even make sense?? LOL)

So after reading all these and thinking about it a bit more, I think I'm going to setup a consult with a surgeon to pursue this further :happy:

I guess after a few weeks to think about it, I am going to get a consult
  • Chelitalucas
    Options
    Good morning all,

My surgery took place on 12/13/11. This morning I had my first fill...yes, I was extremely nervous. However, I am 20 pounds lighter and 20 pounds closer to my end goal. So far I have not experienced any discomfort, vomiting or nausea. Was given the green light approximately two weeks ago to begin working out and I must say, Turbo Jam and I are now very close and intimate friends...I am excited to finally find a group of people who are DILIGENTLY working towards success and I look forward to getting to know each one of you better!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled for surgery on 2/16. That is if insurance will approve - they are dragging their feet. I too am a little overwheled about the 2 - 4 months after surgery. We are required to take a pre-op class - an all day session. They give you a notebook filled with information, diet info, etc... To say when my husband and I walked out of that class that we were not only overwhelmed but a tad on the -won't say frightened side) -but really nervous. I have since had a very very long visit with a friend who had it and talked at length with her. I am still nervous but I look at this as a tool to help me finally achieve what I have wanted all my life. I want that thin person inside me to finally escape.
  • mamaholt80
    Options
    I'm schedule for my lap band surgery Feb 2nd.
    I"ve been doing pre-op liquid diet since last Thursday,so far so good,tried a couple different shakes,but I really liked the Unjury brand.
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had done the preop diet for 4 months and lost 50lbs before I had my surgery on 12/28/2011. I am now doing great and am down another27lbs I have a long way to go but it is getting easier every day. I had the sleeve done as that is what my doctor wanted for me as I was at a high risk for dvt's and I have colitis so there would be no routing either. I love it!!
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    I am almost 7 years post-RNY. Your body will tell you if you have to give up your favorite foods and drinking socially. I can still have my favorite foods, just not a huge serving. I'm now filled up when my dinner plate is a saucer versus a plate. I can still drink socially but I limit myself to one or two "sipping" drinks verus shots or drinking to excess. It doesn't last for me anyway so its really silly for me to drink excessively - 1) I'll be sick from the sugar in the alcohol, and 2) I'll be sober in an hour LOL (I'm always DD now). At the holidays I have a small sliver of my favorite pie versus the whole pie. I eat one taco versus three. (And it took me about a year before I could eat tortillas).

Point being: every body is different. I have a friend who can't eat anything dairy and I eat dairy everyday. But you should definitely go into the surgery knowing that it is a TOOL not a magic pill. If you respect your TOOL and use it correctly the weight will drop off. If you go in thinking "oh, I can still eat XYZ" then it won't work for you. Your body is going to reset its likes and dislikes (I couldn't drink iced tea for 6 years and used to drink it by the gallon). You'll eat something you used to eat and think "Gross!!". But you know what? In the end, its so worth it. I don't regret it for a second.