Who's a wino?

Options
trkinsley
trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
So.... I'm living in Napa area, and there is a looooooooooooooooooooot of good grape pressings out here. I've been sparing my liver a workout for years, now, but I had a giant glass of awesome zinfandel (the red kind) at dinner this week and I'm thinking of becoming a bit more of a drunk.

Kidding on the drunk part, but I definitely wouldn't mind a bit more alcohol in my world.

What adult beverages do all you crazy ketoers imbibe in? I'm open to suggestions.

Replies

• fuzzypants_
    fuzzypants_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely enjoy my wines. The drier, the better! Good thing about that is that they have fewer carbs than the riesling or reserve types. I'm quite fond of whiskey, as well, so I'll drink a Jack & diet coke when I'm out and about, as well. Also, don't overlook a quality liquor on the rocks. Sometimes, the flavor can't be beat! :)
  • GWJStryker
    Options
    I've been treating myself to a glass of Captain Morgan and Diet Coke (or Sailor Jerry if you want Captain with a bigger kick). I don't do it too often, but it is great for an occasional treat. Another great drink is the Pinnacle flavored vodka. Just sipping on a glass of the "whipped" vodka is awesome, and very few carbs! :)
  • hungryhungrykitty
    Options
    I'm super classy, so I've had a glass or two of "Two Buck Chuck". I'm not a huge fan of wine, or drinking in general, but I feel as though now I'm in California I should be trying some of the wines here. Any recommendations? I only really like white, and I like it to be a little sweet, but not too sweet.
  • trkinsley
    Options
    Try pinot grigio, hungryhungrykitty. TJs has a ton of decent to good wine, so just read the description they have posted and if it sounds good to you, it's worth a try.

Ahhh.... I just noticed where you live. I miss Berkeley Bowl! I'm over by Walnut Creek now and it's a total PITA to get over there.
  • hungryhungrykitty
    Options
    I love Berkeley Bowl! But not as much as I love Trader Joe's :P I will try a Pinot Grigio, thanks for the advice! I've never been to Walnut Creek, is there anything there worth seeing?
  • trkinsley
    Options
    Not much... it's a total suburbanite haven! Berkeley is far more interesting. There is one really good kebab place in WC, but 50 in Berkeley, you know?
  • ladysixstring
    Options
    i love a good glass of red wine now and then. i like pinot noir and cab sauv!
  • trkinsley
    Options
    Love pinot noir. Chianti is good too, but it makes me want spaghetti and bread!
  • lookfierce
    Options
    Quite patrtial to RIjoja and Malbec myself.
  • Meflakcannon
    Options
    I don't drink much so I tend to be a lightweight. I am partial to a Jack and Diet Coke. If I can find a suitable ginger ale the Green Label Jack and ginger ale is also fantastic.
  • misscelestia
    Options
    I love Pinot Grigio, personally. However, lately my drink of choice has been vodka with soda water and a lime.
  • rabel68
    rabel68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Crown Reserve and Coke Zero but lately I'm switching to Tinto de Verano (see photo at top), which is half fruity Spanish wine and half sparkling water poured over ice with a slice of orange and slice of lemon thrown in. It’s kind of sangria lite. Each time you drink a glass of it, you get half wine and half water, so you rehydrate the water lost from the little alcohol in the half glass of wine.

The above is from:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
  • kater48er
    Options
    Flavored vodka? What kinds? I'm getting tired of chianti (no silence of the lambs jokes please) or rum and diet coke.
  • Erinjbf
    Options
    As far as vodka, I'm a fan of Absolute Ruby Red, diet tonic. Also, gin.

Regarding the wine, I cut a glass with seltzer to make a spritzer, because most of my wine intake is heavily dependent on delicious homemade wine.
  • losethatshit
    Options
    yellowtail pinot grigio please
  • vgreenthemachine
    vgreenthemachine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a big fan of dry wines. I'm pretty much a moscato or arbor mist kind of girl when it comes to wines, but those are pretty bad for keto. Post-keto I've been drinking a lot of vodka/diet coke or crown royal and diet coke. Gin and diet sprite with a dash of lime juice is pretty tasty too. MGD 64 (2.4g carb) and michelob ultra (2.6 I believe) are good options for low carb beer as well, if I'm in the mood, though of course they don't compare to the delicious microbrews I spoiled myself on pre-keto.
  • bhayes82
    bhayes82 Posts: 37
    Options
    I've mostly given up on beer since going keto-friendly, so I've switched to red wine and/or whisky. Still enjoy a beer on occasion, but I'm really liking all varieties of reds (chiantis, malbecs, and pinot noirs seem to be favorites so far)

That said, the Don Draper in me prefers a single-malt Scotch over anything else.

Thankfully (after reading carb/calorie counts), I've never been a big fan of mixed drinks, save for the occasional martini.

I do miss my beers, but I'd rather get rid of this beer belly, for now.