Introduction

Options
_tracy_
_tracy_ Posts: 5 Member
I was so happy to find this group. I just joined MFP and will be doing OA online. I know I need to control my food intake, get my body moving, and above all stop the emotional eating. I'm a 40yo single mom of a toddler I need to be able to catch. :)

I'd like to make new friends for support and encouragement.

Could anyone help me figure out what my OA online options are? Thanks!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, successful New Year!

Replies

• sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi! Check out The Recovery Group - http://www.therecoverygroup.org/index2.html. If you're new to OA, you will find the Orientation and the Working The Steps very helpful. I did both when I first joined and found them very helpful. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • _tracy_
    Options
    Thanks so much! I just joined so I will be ready for their January Intro group. Excited & scared at the same time.
  • sheismith
    sheismith Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cool! Let me know if I can support you in any way. You're not alone :smile:
  • KathMeistr
    KathMeistr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wyld_phyre, welcome! Another option you may look at - more phone than online - is The Coffee Shop Big Book study phone meetings. See http://www.coffeeshopbb164.com/ for details. There's a daily phone meeting at 7am ET which is very good. If 7am isn't realistic for you to "attend" in real time (I hear the Toddler challenge!) you can always call the number at ANY time during any day, and hear the recording of the most recent meeting. It won't give you the opportunity to share your own stuff, but at least it lets you hear what others have offered.

No matter what, remember two things.... 1) You are NOT alone, and 2) The program is a "We" program, never intended to be worked alone. Good job already finding ways to connect with other OAs online (here and elsewhere). Finding someone local to you to share your recovery can only help as well - I don't know what your options are but I would sure hope you can find a meeting you can attend in person at least from time to time, and/or some fellows nearby with whom you can share. OA and the 12 steps are not a set of instructions you can download and then work on your own. Relationships with others in recovery who will share their experience in real time, and with whom you can share yours, are a critical element to how it works.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hello Glad you are here. Please remember there are also phone meetings there are about 150 of them a week especially good if there is no f2f in your area I do both. You are not alone we are here to support and help you.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    I personally have never gotten much into phone meetings as they eat up my phone minutes in a hurry. Since I don't have unlimited minutes, that's a factor for me. I have sat in on two meetings and did not understand the format of how to share and such. But that can be overcome. I did enjoy hearing people's voices as it seemed more like a face-to-face meeting than online meetings. That was wonderful.

Our face-to-face meeting was recently disbanded and I miss it. The nearest meeting to me now is 90 miles away. But I have tried to increase my contact with other OA'ers since our meetings went away so I can keep my feet in the program.

Glad to see this group here!
  • _tracy_
    Options
    I want to thank you all for your recommendations & support. I have been using the online meetings at recovery.org and they seem to be helping. Phone meetings aren't an option right now. My toddler, awake or asleep, seems to find the phone to be a magnet and considers it party time!

I am enjoying the recovery.org format and have found a step sponsor. I am still seeking a food sponsor. If there are any MFPers that might be interested I'd love to discuss it. I really have a hard time with the word 'abstinence' and not having it sound negative.

I'd like to add you as friends since I need all the help & support I can get!

Thanks!
  • _tracy_
    Options
    I just wanted to update that I have been working the program & attending online meetings daily. I found a fantastic sponsor, established MFP, and today had my first successful day of abstinence. It's been a bit of a rough week getting to this point, but I made it, and will continue just ODAT!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen!!
  • thagberg2011
    thagberg2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am new to OA and have not attended a meeting yet. I go for my first meeting on Sunday at 7pm. I am using MFP and it is helping me to recognize my calorie intake. What else should I be doing?
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome, wyld_phyre and thagberg2011!

@wyld - Congratulations on your first day of abstinence! That is awesome!

@thagberg - That is great that you are attending a meeting. I find the meetings extremely helpful. It may not all make sense at first (it probably won't), but as they say ... Keep coming back, it works! And you're worth it! Once you get acclimated and find one or more meetings you like, you'll need to pick a sponsor. Look for someone who has what you want. :smile:

The OA literature is also great! If you don't have them already, you'll want to purchase the OA brown book (OA 12 & 12) and the OA workbook.
  • KathMeistr
    KathMeistr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers. You are not alone!

Feel free to friend me, I share my diary so others can benefit from my experience strength and hope.

Food plans are an individual issue and where we heve unity is in the common problem and in working the steps, not in the details of how we work the solution re: food.

The plan I follow (which looooong predates me using MFP as a tool) was set up for me by a nutritionist and is a very balanced 3 meals a day with no snacks (although I do have beverages between meals). You are welcome to view it to see what abstinence looks like for a 6+ year abstinent OAer who most days is almost entirely free from food and weight obsession.

With OA and my sponsor and my higher power's support, I have released about 70 pounds. My weight loss on MFP is since December 2011 and is mostly what my maintenance looks like.

I plan my food daily and commit it to my sponsor. I find that really essential for me to stay on track.

Together we can do what we could never do alone!