South Beach, Atkins or Ducan?

Options
caligirl04
caligirl04 Posts: 33 Member
Good Morning! I am looking for some feedback on the three programs that I listed above. I was very successful on Atkins a few years ago however, I do have high cholesterol and since taking a sedentary job 4 years ago, I have managed to put on 30lbs! My body responds well to the low carb lifestyle and I am looking for some input from others.

Thanks!!

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    I do keto, which is <20g carbs, then equal amounts of fat and protein with the ratios coming out to around 20-35% protein and 60-70% fat. After reading the science behind low carb, I'm rather anti-Dukan because of how important fat is for your body, and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone. Atkins is a good place to start though if you need to follow a plan.
  • shadea4455
    shadea4455 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do Atkins... it's easy to follow and it works (for me, anyways)! And it's something I can actually stick to for the long haul.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I did South Beach to jump start my weight loss I loss about 4lbs the first week, I upped my carbs to under 100 most days and It seems to work for me not hungry, and more energy I also cut down on sugar. I also eat more vegetables and fruit. and have less meals with heavy carbs late at night. Still do South Beach now and again.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm an Atkins devotee and keep my carb count between 40-50 per day and that seems to work for me.

7838983.png
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I have done Atkins in the past and it did work, I just never got beyond OWL. My body really does react negatively when I eat refined carbs...I swear I look so swollen!

Thanks again! :)
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I blow up as well. Calorie for calorie if I eat the same number of processed/refined carbs as I do complex low carb natural foods, I not only will gain and/or bloat, it throws me into an addictive binge cycle. Since reconnecting with MFP on Dec. 2, 2011, I challenged myself to steer clear of processed/refined carbs until after Jan. 1, 2012. I've had about a 90% success rate (can't completely isolate from real world temptations especially this time of year.). However I've seen the weightloss and I like how I'm starting to feel physically. It gets hard so I just try to plan...plan...plan..and take it one mouthful at a time.

I would suggest you choose one program and work it faithfully for 2 weeks or so and see how your body responds. Good luck!

7838983.png
  • pork_belly
    Options
    I do have high cholesterol and since taking a sedentary job 4 years ago,

If Atkins worked for you before then you should do what works for you.

High CHO by itself is not necessarily a marker for coronary heart disease as much as your ratio of HDL to LDL.
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I do need support! Took pictures yesterday...in a bathing suit...YIKES!! Talk about motivation!!!
  • yummummum
    Options
    I am having success on Atkins also with a Paleo twist. I can not do anything artificial or processed. I don't eat as many carbs/fruit as paleo right now but will move toward that on maintenance. I do not think I will add in grains. I do SO much better off them. South Beach not nearly enough fat to keep me full.
  • caligirl04
    Options
    I agree...South Beach did not keep me full either. I just picked up another George Stella cook book and I love it...Livin Low Carb and Loving It. He is a great inspiration!
  • seattlern
    Options
    I've done South Beach and Atkins in the past and had great success with both. My new years resolution is to stick to the Dukan diet for the next 30 days to make up for all of the carb and fat binging I did over the holidays (seriously, my son made me something called a 'bacon explosion'...it was awesome) .After that I will go back to a hybrid of all three. Really, the only difference is in the fat and how/when you incorporate other foods with your proteins. I think for long term success you have to take what works for you and ignore the rest.
  • caligirl04
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I'm definatly on the right track! Down 3lbs this week. Atkins really works for me and planning is the key1
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I am looking for some feedback on the three programs that I listed above. I was very successful on Atkins a few years ago however, I do have high cholesterol and since taking a sedentary job 4 years ago, I have managed to put on 30lbs! My body responds well to the low carb lifestyle and I am looking for some input from others.

Thanks!!

Fat has no effect on cholesterol. My suggestion is going to be Atkins or Paleo / Primal. South Beach and Ducan are way too low fat for the body to be able to function properly.

Fats consisting of Coconut oil, olive oil and animal fats.

Buy grass fed, free range meat and eggs where and when you afford it.

Lots of green leafy vegetables and eat minimal fruit.

Ditch the artificial sweeteners and opt for stevia (not purvia or truvia) if you must have any sweetener. Drink lots of water, tea and coffee.

Walking, even for 10 or 15 minutes is good and get some resistance training in, even 10 or 15 minutes is good a couple of times per week. There is no reason to stress the body with loads of exercise. Any movement is exercise.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I am having success on Atkins also with a Paleo twist. I can not do anything artificial or processed. I don't eat as many carbs/fruit as paleo right now but will move toward that on maintenance. I do not think I will add in grains. I do SO much better off them. South Beach not nearly enough fat to keep me full.

This is me also. I started out on Atkins back in 2003 and then transitioned over to Paleo in 2009 / 2010 time frame.

They are so similar in plans anyway. The original Atkins plans did not promote the "products" like they do since Atkins Nutritional Corporation did when Dr Atkins died.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    George Stella has some great books I would just avoid the soy flour it can be a real issue for a lot of people. I suggest coconut flour or ground flax instead. I love his lasagna recipe! YUM! I had never used celery in my low carb lasagna before getting his cookbooks at the library.

I do a Primal version of low carb too and I have to keep around 20-30gm carb to lose. I go much above it and I maintain or gain unfortunately, but I am extremely sensitive to carbs.
  • kerriemoe
    kerriemoe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the group; I found that SBD didn't have enough fat for me, either. I have had moderate success (nothing gives me "fast weight loss") doing a sort of Atkins/Primal hybrid. But I've had trouble getting back on track after the holidays and a stomach bug so today begins a sort of induction for me (I can't quite get down to <20 g carbs, I miss my veggies too much). Nice to find this group here!