Feeling hungry...is it mental or not???

Options
Sometimes we eat because we just think its 'time to eat' Our bodies tell us when we are hungry, but most of us don't listen. We eat at lunch time, dinner time...but are we really hungry?
I did not know what it felt like to be hungry. I knew all to well what it felt like to be full. Stuffed is more the word, but hungry?? what was that?
calorie restriction has taught me to listen to my body. When I am hungry, I feed myself. KEEPING IN MIND that that portion control is KEY to calorie restricting.
Anyone have any ideas on how to utilize portion control to its fullest? (example would be eating on a child sized plate etc)

Replies

• Cindy68164
    Cindy68164 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your talking about. I don't recognize the sign for hunger or thirst until it's too late and then go overboard....usually with the wrong kinds of foods because, well, theyre faster and you get instant gradification.

Using a child's size plate won't work for me. I don't have that brain-type. I have to measure everything out.

Try drinking 4oz of semi-cold water before eating. And again drink 2 oz after every other bite. You will feel bloated with water (which is good to get in anyways) and eat less food. The feeling won't last long after your done with your meal. When that dissapates ....drink more water. Chewing on strong gum (mento's or mint) and drinking water will help too.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great minds CINDY!!! i do keep extra strong mints on hand, and often will have one right before eating....I do also drink a ton of water a day. I love the ideas!!!!
    I have to say this week has been awesome...I have never been able to have such self control...being aware of the food I eat is eye opening!!!! to say the least...when the day is over and i set and reflect, I am amazed at what i used to eat, even when I thought I was being 'good'