Sugar V Fibre?

desertpea
desertpea Posts: 20 Member
edited October 7 in Social Groups
So the cereal I eat (SuperFoods Protein 1st) is high in fibre (which I need) but also high(ish?) in sugar - do I worry about the extra few g's of sugar that I will burn off when excercising?

Replies

• spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Good question. I'm not too sure what the professionals would say. Fibre is important. You need some sugar also... I guess you just have to weigh up the odds and see what is more important for your diet at this point... or research some other high fibre, low sugar breakfast cereals?

I have oats most days...
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    They do a porridge which has the fibre and glucomannans, without the sugar - have you tried that?
  • I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar content (for that particular meal) just make sure you are tracking the whole day's worth... Less sugar later in the day won't hurt you.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    i suppose it also depends on what your eating the rest of the day. If the rest of the day is fairly low in sugar then id say its perfectly fine
  • desertpea
    desertpea Posts: 20 Member
    I think the fibre is more important (i.. ahem.. need it :blushing: ). I compared my cereal to Special K and I still prefer mine. It has highter protein.

I will try the porridge and see if that is any better.

My eating (don't look at my diary for this weekend) is good otherwise

Thanks all for your feedback :smile:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I eat this cereal too, didn't really like it at first, but once I decided to let it sit with the milk in it for 5-10 mins, it was heaps better (I prefer non-crunchy cereals). I dont mind the sugar content, in fact I add extra nuts/seeds/dried fruit to the cereal to pick up the flavour a bit. I alternate between this & Weetbix with banana most days.

Sugar amount doesnt really bother me too much, and remember the allowance for sugar on MFP is actually quite low so dont stress if you go a bit over most days.
This discussion has been closed.