Gluten/wheat Withdrawal help and advice

LouLouUK
LouLouUK Posts: 136 Member
Hello everyone.

Its great to find this group! I have been gluten and wheat free for just over 2 weeks now. Prior to that i had been experiencing constant chronic headaches/migraines for over 6 years - had scans, tests, all sorts and all the doctors would do would put me on more pills. After a lot of research i carried out some diet exclusion tests and came to the conclusion that wheat and gluten was a big no no for me.

So i have been (the the best of my knowledge) gluten and wheat free. My life changed 360 degrees, i had so much energy and life felt normal... up until a couple of days ago when my body felt quite drained of energy, but the last 2 days i have had terrible headaches. It feels like im back to square one again and im hoping someone is going to tell me that these headaches will be a classic symptom of withdrawal,

Not sure if i have made much sense... struggling to type and think straight. What were everyone else's experiences? The last two weeks of being wheat and gluten free have been incredible and i just don't want it to stop. :)

Thanks in advance for any feedback... im off for a lie down!

Louise.x

Replies

• mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Maybe you got glutened by mistake? Check all the food you ate. If you ate at a restaurant, you'll never know :(
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    For the first month I was very tired and headachy. Just wanted to sleep all day. There may be another trigger that you missed, or you may have eaten something contaminated.

Pam
  • LouLouUK
    I have been very careful with my eating, and i've not eaten out either. The headaches came on the morning after i ate a Fage Total 0% greek yog. I had not eaten one since i started this new diet. But ive been eating porridge with milk, so i can't be a dairy issue too could it?

Thank you for your responses. :smile: Hopefully im worrying about nothing.x
  • pdworkman
    What are the ingredients?

Pam
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Be very careful...Gluten can be hidden in so many things...Even cross contamination can affect many people.....Also keep an eye because Anemia and B-12 deficiencies R big problems for celiacs.....
  • pdworkman
    Yogurt and other aged/fermented foods are known migraine triggers. You may need to stay away from it.

Just because you know one of your migraine triggers now, that doesn't mean you know all of them!

Pam
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    lactose intolerance is common with gluten intolerance as well. There is gluten everywhere and even breathing can get you if someone has recently opened a bag of flour or etc.... also the gluten free label is not regulated by any law source or govt agency. I have been GF for a year and still sometimes they get me.

I am super obsessive about being GF because it makes be deathly ill. Always bring food with you and read EVERY label. I never had withdrawal.

My best advice is to research the maker of your product. Udi's is my favorite!
  • LouLouUK
    Thank you everyone for your responses. There is some pretty poor labelling out there. If its not clear, or im not sure about something then i leave it.
    The ingredients in Fage 0% yogs are: Pasteurised skimmed cows' milk, live active yoghurt cultures (L.Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)

Could i be intolerant to yoghurt and cheese and not milk though?

Im discovering its all quite a minefield but really trying to educate myself at the same time! :smile:
  • pdworkman
    Yes, because yoghurt and cheese are fermented or aged, they can be migraine triggers even though milk itself does not trigger you.

Pam
    Thank you everyone for your responses. There is some pretty poor labelling out there. If its not clear, or im not sure about something then i leave it.
    The ingredients in Fage 0% yogs are: Pasteurised skimmed cows' milk, live active yoghurt cultures (L.Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)

Could i be intolerant to yoghurt and cheese and not milk though?

Im discovering its all quite a minefield but really trying to educate myself at the same time! :smile: