Hello, new to the group

Options
innerbetty
innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
Hello, new to the group. Really I'm just looking for a place to go when I need to vent or keep my hands and mind busy so I don't head to food to fill the void or try to satisfy the craving.
I'm on day three, though I never decided to myself that I was going to quit.
I have a bit of an unusual method for quitting. I never threw out the pack of smokes I was on. I just woke up and decided that I didn't want one. I've used this method before with some success but somehow I always start up again. Habit I think more than anything. I found the greatest success when I don't say to myself that I've quit...it's less tempting to have one if I don't think to myself that I'm not allowed to have one. This is also why I keep some around. If I know they're there I don't go into a panic mode about how I'll get one if I'm desperate for one. I've also never stopped hanging around with smokers, after all my husband is one. I also feel like I'm punishing myself by not going with them "for a smoke" because these are the people I have something in common with...not the people in the lunchroom that I have no interest in talking to. I did this once without telling anyone and had quit for around a month before half of them noticed, because the people or convos never changed.
A bit of a background to my habits is that I started when I was around 15. My parents caught me and told me that if I quit I would get a car...so I quit smoking in front of them. This means that I was always around smokers (my parents smoked in the house) and I couldn't let on that I wanted one. As an adult my Husband and I actually bought my parents place so the habit kind of stuck..I never felt inclined to smoke at home. In May we decided that smoking was no longer allowed in the house, and I'm just not inclined to go outside. I know it seems kind of easy for me right now but I haven't had to leave my house for the last three days. Tomorrow will be a test as I have to run to town (1/2 hr away) and I was always a car smoker...maybe I'll just leave them at home.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. Toodles...:)

Replies

• Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You need to throw away your cigarettes and paraphernalia if you're going to make an honest effort. Otherwise you'll talk yourself into having "just one", and for nicotine addicts like you and me, there is no "just one". One=all. I know I'm sounding like a broken record in this group, but I suggest you read up at whyquit.com. Read there until your eyes fall out. And then read some more :D Welcome to the group! You can do this! You just have to want to quit more than you want to smoke.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • innerbetty
    innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well I slipped up, had one last night and about 4 today while driving. I find one of my biggest hinderances is when I'm told I should quit. I know it seems stupid but I guess I just can't get over the childish mentality of doing the oposite of what I'm told. (Don't push the red button!!! *pushes red button*) I'm the same way with eating healthy. If you tell me not to eat chips it's all I want...even if I'm telling myself not to eat them. I was told by my doctor today that she susspects I have a blood clot in my leg and that I should quit smoking. All I want to do now is give up and smoke. Just trying to vent and not go out for another one.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Maybe you'd benefit from an e cigarette? Cold turkey isn't for everyone. And you can't be successful unless you want this for yourself. For me, I knew it was time and although I miss it, I'm much better off. My health is most important, and it is nice to have all this extra money!
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well I slipped up, had one last night and about 4 today while driving. I find one of my biggest hinderances is when I'm told I should quit. I know it seems stupid but I guess I just can't get over the childish mentality of doing the oposite of what I'm told. (Don't push the red button!!! *pushes red button*) I'm the same way with eating healthy. If you tell me not to eat chips it's all I want...even if I'm telling myself not to eat them. I was told by my doctor today that she susspects I have a blood clot in my leg and that I should quit smoking. All I want to do now is give up and smoke. Just trying to vent and not go out for another one.

Have you talked to your doctor about Chantix (I think that is how you spell it)? Is that safe if you have blood clots? I don't know, just throwing something out there for you to consider.
  • _Needlesedge
    _Needlesedge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to this group as well... I have been on MyFitnessPall off and on for a while now but never really too much use in it and also haven't really developed the friends and support group I was hoping to find. I thought that maybe joining some groups might be what I needed to do. I have actually been nine weeks without a smoke and after feeling like I finally managed to get the nicotine cravings under control I felt like this might be a good time to start focusing on the incredible health issue that is my weight. :)
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Hello I am new to this group as well... I have been on MyFitnessPall off and on for a while now but never really too much use in it and also haven't really developed the friends and support group I was hoping to find. I thought that maybe joining some groups might be what I needed to do. I have actually been nine weeks without a smoke and after feeling like I finally managed to get the nicotine cravings under control I felt like this might be a good time to start focusing on the incredible health issue that is my weight. :)

Good for you. 9 weeks is amazing, im 10 days now and think im over the worst xx
  • _Needlesedge
    _Needlesedge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oh yeah the first two weeks were the absolute worst but for me it was a matter of one morning I got up to go to work and was about to pull in to buy a pack and went nah I will get it tomorrow. Then the next day I did the same thing. After a few days I just didnt even want to stop anymore... after about three weeks I wasnt evening thinking about them anymore.