GREEN TEAM: Week One CHALLENGE

Options
In addition to our group challenge for all teams (drinking water this week), I am adding weekly challenges for our Green Team. Since it is the end of the week I would like you to do the following:

1) Tell our group how you best handle the weekends. Weekends can bring about different schedules and therefore also bring on different temptations. What's your secret weapon for survival?

2) Try a new activity or exercise before weigh-in, and then post here about it. Make sure this is something outside your comfort zone - maybe something you are not sure you can do, or something you always wanted to try but haven't, or something that you want to try but feel too embarrassed (like if you weight 250 pounds at 5'5" and you walk into Gold's Gym in a college town that is filled with buff fraternity dudes working out - not that I would necessarily know anything about that.... :embarassed: )

Each of our challenges will have two parts - mental and physical. Be prepared - they will get more challenging as we go through the next few weeks! :wink:

Replies

• sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1) Saturdays aren't that hard for me, I get up and have either a pb sandwich or a banana before heading to aerobics class. Then my friend and I normally stop and have subway for lunch, then I still have a lot of calories left for dinner so it's whatever we happen to have. Sunday's however I don't typically even log, we have our friends over for game night and everyone brings different foods/snacks and we snack all night long:/ The last few over the holidays were really yummy unhealthy foods...but I am going to see about starting a healthier snack trend to help me not have to work harder to lose the weight every other day of the week b/c it's also my off day from the gym.
  • kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well for part 2 of this weeks challenge I am actually running a half marathon. Ok, I signed up for it in October so it just happens to fall on the challenge of something new week. Up until this point I have only participated in 5K, 4 mile, and 10K races. I am not a speedster by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I run the entire time. But I enjoy it.

There are many people who think they can't run. It is possible. There are a bunch of wonderful programs to get you started that incorporate a run walk method ( I will definitely be doing that this weekend) Couch to 5k is a good start. It begins with a series of running one minute and walking one minute, with repeats. If you can not run for a minute straight just go as far as you can and build up gradually. If you have to repeat a week or work outs, no worries. The program just requires 30 minutes 3 times a week. If you are looking for a starting point to get into running, this is a great one.

There are also several iphone/ ipod touch apps that are great to use as it tracks your progress and has an on line log, some of the free versions are pretty good. I like the RunTraining app. It logs my progress and I can run while listening to music and have the time to walk/run play through the headphones also.

Best of luck this week team!
  • pitawingnut
    pitawingnut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Team! For my part the weekends aren't much different from my week days. My husband and I both work from home so our general routine stay about the same. The main difference is that we try to have more outdoor activities with our son. Food wise, my only challenge is to resist overeating on pizza night. I try to keep my salad to pizza ratio high to avoid over indulging.

For part 2 of our challenge, I'm going to start the 30 day shred. I can't stand the thought of a jumping jack or push up but I'm going to do it anyway. After watching the biggest loser TV show I have to figure if a 400 lb man can do them I can do them too. It's just a matter of mind set. I can and will do it! :smile:
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Hi team,

I must say that the weekends are easier for me than some weekdays because I am a culinary student and I have class 3 days a week. Being in lab classes where we cook so many different types of food (some not so healthy) makes it difficult to stay focused on your weight loss goals but I'm doing it. On the weekends, I'm able to monitor everything I put in my mouth.

For the second part of our challenge I went to the gym this morning and did something I never do. Before I got on the treadmill (which is usually what I do at the gym) I did a 20-minute circuit training segment. After that I got on the treadmill for 1 hour (which I only usually do about 20-30 min.). It was a challenge but when I weighed myself this morning, I lost 2 lbs and that made me want to push myself even more.

I'm not done yet though because I do the 30-day shred and on day 5 of it. I will do that later in the day so I'm not done burning calories for today. Happy losing Green team.
  • volschick96
    volschick96 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Team,
    My weekends are not much different from the week besides Sunday.. this will be the first time since I started eating better that I am faced with it.. We always spend the day with my mom and dad and they have to eat breakfast at DQ every Sunday, there is nothing healthy on the breakfast menu then we go to church and then they want to stop and eat again before heading home. Making the right choices is going to be the hardest part.

I am going to try a Jillian Michaels work out, I bought it last year and never opened it..

Good luck to all and have a Great weekend!
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Hi Team,
    My weekends are not much different from the week besides Sunday.. this will be the first time since I started eating better that I am faced with it.. We always spend the day with my mom and dad and they have to eat breakfast at DQ every Sunday, there is nothing healthy on the breakfast menu then we go to church and then they want to stop and eat again before heading home. Making the right choices is going to be the hardest part.

I am going to try a Jillian Michaels work out, I bought it last year and never opened it..

Good luck to all and have a Great weekend!

Which JM dvd do you have?
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Hi Team! For my part the weekends aren't much different from my week days. My husband and I both work from home so our general routine stay about the same. The main difference is that we try to have more outdoor activities with our son. Food wise, my only challenge is to resist overeating on pizza night. I try to keep my salad to pizza ratio high to avoid over indulging.

For part 2 of our challenge, I'm going to start the 30 day shred. I can't stand the thought of a jumping jack or push up but I'm going to do it anyway. After watching the biggest loser TV show I have to figure if a 400 lb man can do them I can do them too. It's just a matter of mind set. I can and will do it! :smile:

Good for you starting the 30-day shred. I'm on Level 1 Day 6. Great mindset. We've got to start somewhere. Why not here?:drinker:
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hello Green team! Nice challenge!

On the weekends, I can actually do MORE exercise since I'm not working. That's normally the time that I get in long recumbant bike rides. For example, yesterday, I did a 1 hour bike ride on Level 7. The result - I biked 14.25 miles! Yay! So basically, I use the weekends to catch up on my cardio that I can't do at home.

Something different - I on Level 2 of 30DS. It's hard; but I feel accomplished when I'm done.
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Hello Green team! Nice challenge!

On the weekends, I can actually do MORE exercise since I'm not working. That's normally the time that I get in long recumbant bike rides. For example, yesterday, I did a 1 hour bike ride on Level 7. The result - I biked 14.25 miles! Yay! So basically, I use the weekends to catch up on my cardio that I can't do at home.

Something different - I on Level 2 of 30DS. It's hard; but I feel accomplished when I'm done.

Great job. Keep it up. I've been on MFP since Nov and I work out daily. Some days are more intense than others but I try to get it in.
  • terihaddad
    terihaddad Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Team,

When I was doing really well back in October, I treated weekends like every other day and made the same healthy food choices that I did during the week. Sometimes (a lot of times) that meant turning down invitations to places that I couldn't find healthy choices at...which is probably why I fell off the wagon in November...I missed my friends! This time my goal is to let myself go out, and if I make a bad food choice, then I need to make up for it in exercise. Hopefully this will work out better for me!

As for the new exercise i just got the xbox kinect, and am going downstairs now to play a dancing game my brother lent me. I have a feeling it's going to be fun, but a LOT of work!
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Hi Team,

When I was doing really well back in October, I treated weekends like every other day and made the same healthy food choices that I did during the week. Sometimes (a lot of times) that meant turning down invitations to places that I couldn't find healthy choices at...which is probably why I fell off the wagon in November...I missed my friends! This time my goal is to let myself go out, and if I make a bad food choice, then I need to make up for it in exercise. Hopefully this will work out better for me!

As for the new exercise i just got the xbox kinect, and am going downstairs now to play a dancing game my brother lent me. I have a feeling it's going to be fun, but a LOT of work!

You are correct in your assessment of the game. I played it for Christmas and I sweated so bad but it was fun and I know I was burning a lot of calories. Enjoy and burn, burn, burn.
  • Ngwarai2012
    Options
    hi guys!

1) my biggest temptation on the weekend is snacking on unhealthy food while i'm at home. so this weekend i'm making sure i have a good healthy breakfast to help keep my appetite under control during the day ... i've also tossed out all the unhealthy snacks in my kitchen so i'm not tempted.

2) before next weigh-in, i'm starting a new challenging strength training routine in the gym. i've been pretty lazy with my weights training so hopefully this will get me back on track.
  • Tigermomma66
    Tigermomma66 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Apparently I am still learning my phone and MFP. I had typed out a nice message but it didn't take.

Found a new gadget for my iphone. It is a type of pedometer and measured my walk. What was best was that I found out I averaged 3 mph - I thought it only 2 based on how I felt. That meant two good things - I am entering it correctly on here and I am getting more fit! I guess this fits as a challenge. In the post that went poof, I mentioned my challenge was to create a freeplay routine on my biggest loser wii game and to challenge myself with a few individual exercises above my level. I did both!

For weekends I try to treat them the same. My schedule is always shifting around anyway depending on hubby's schedule so weekends are not too different. Special occasions are - like visiting the I laws like I am this weekend.
  • LighteningLynn
    LighteningLynn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My weekends are my biggest downfall. We love to get together and have drinks. :drinker: I find that I don't have much problem with food....it's the drinks. :blushing: I stopped drinking (except water) during the week which is a step in the right direction. I know....just don't drink, but that is like saying just don't eat that food. I come from Wisconsin and we are a drinking state. I'm not using that as an excuse but I have been drinking since I was 18. :embarassed: I will conquer this....even with the downfalls I will have. The next day, I will pick myself up, brush myself off and try try again!!! :happy: I will gladly take any suggestions you may have. I quit smoking 14 years ago, so I know that I CAN do this.
  • Tigermomma66
    Options
    hi guys!

1) my biggest temptation on the weekend is snacking on unhealthy food while i'm at home. so this weekend i'm making sure i have a good healthy breakfast to help keep my appetite under control during the day ... i've also tossed out all the unhealthy snacks in my kitchen so i'm not tempted.

2) before next weigh-in, i'm starting a new challenging strength training routine in the gym. i've been pretty lazy with my weights training so hopefully this will get me back on track.

I know what you mean. It seems that if we have too much time on our hands we fill them with food. And it's usually not the best . Good for you for tossing the unhealthy stuff! That took a lot of mental strength so good for you!!

That new routine is good. I have heard we need to always mix it up and challenge our body. It sounds like you are on the right track.
  • Tigermomma66
    Options
    Well for part 2 of this weeks challenge I am actually running a half marathon. Ok, I signed up for it in October so it just happens to fall on the challenge of something new week. Up until this point I have only participated in 5K, 4 mile, and 10K races. I am not a speedster by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I run the entire time. But I enjoy it.

There are many people who think they can't run. It is possible. There are a bunch of wonderful programs to get you started that incorporate a run walk method ( I will definitely be doing that this weekend) Couch to 5k is a good start. It begins with a series of running one minute and walking one minute, with repeats. If you can not run for a minute straight just go as far as you can and build up gradually. If you have to repeat a week or work outs, no worries. The program just requires 30 minutes 3 times a week. If you are looking for a starting point to get into running, this is a great one.

There are also several iphone/ ipod touch apps that are great to use as it tracks your progress and has an on line log, some of the free versions are pretty good. I like the RunTraining app. It logs my progress and I can run while listening to music and have the time to walk/run play through the headphones also.

Best of luck this week team!

I saw you did the half-marathon. That's awesome! Any advice you can share that might help us? You definitely challenged yourself, and I am sure it gives you the momentum to keep pushing ahead on this journey.
  • Tigermomma66
    Options
    Okay my peeps! Some of you have not replied, so I want to know if you are okay. Is there anything we can do to get you motivated? Or help you with your challenges - whether it is this one or something else you have that is challenging? As a team, we can do this!!

I am also interested in ideas for next weeks challenges. I have some ideas.

One would be an overall theme with daily challenges - like eating healthy, with a daily challenge revolving around that.

Or we could do a challenge where you log minutes doing a particular activity... then see how many total minutes we completed as a team. That would allow flexibility to complete some every day or more every few days.

Or - what would YOU like to do? Give me some ideas - I know you have them, and as a team, WE can decide TOGETHER!

Go Green!!!!
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    Okay my peeps! Some of you have not replied, so I want to know if you are okay. Is there anything we can do to get you motivated? Or help you with your challenges - whether it is this one or something else you have that is challenging? As a team, we can do this!!

I am also interested in ideas for next weeks challenges. I have some ideas.

One would be an overall theme with daily challenges - like eating healthy, with a daily challenge revolving around that.

Or we could do a challenge where you log minutes doing a particular activity... then see how many total minutes we completed as a team. That would allow flexibility to complete some every day or more every few days.

Or - what would YOU like to do? Give me some ideas - I know you have them, and as a team, WE can decide TOGETHER!

Go Green!!!!

Your ideas are good especially getting us to log activities. We will have a hard time losing weight if we're not active. Maybe we can do certain exercises to burn calories or maybe set a challenge of doing 100 crunches for the week or 50 pushups or something like that. What do you think?
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I didn't try a "new" activity, but I did try to give my work outs 100%...and I guess I did something new, I did the eliptical for over an hr and went over 4.3 miles :)
  • PattyArchuleta
    PattyArchuleta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I vote for adding extra exercies for the week ie... 100 crunches/day, 50 push ups,and extra 10 minutes walking whatever we come up with.