Oral Diabetic Medications

Options
hluvj76
hluvj76 Posts: 25 Member
ORAL DIABETES MEDICATIONS (i.e. http://www.diabetes.org/)

All diabetes pills sold today in the United States are members of six classes of drugs that work in different ways to lower blood glucose levels:

Sulfonylureas
Meglitinides
Biguanides
Thiazolidinediones
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors
DPP-4 inhibitors

Sulfonylureas

Sulfonylureas stimulate the beta cells of the pancreas to release more insulin. Sulfonylurea drugs have been in use since the 1950s. Chlorpropamide (Diabinese) is the only first-generation sulfonylurea still in use today. The second generation sulfonylureas are used in smaller doses than the first-generation drugs. There are three second-generation drugs: glipizide (Glucotrol and Glucotrol XL), glyburide (Micronase, Glynase, and Diabeta), and glimepiride (Amaryl). These drugs are generally taken one to two times a day, before meals. All sulfonylurea drugs have similar effects on blood glucose levels, but they differ in side effects, how often they are taken, and interactions with other drugs.

Meglitinides

Meglitinides are drugs that also stimulate the beta cells to release insulin. Repaglinide (Prandin) and nateglinide (Starlix) are meglitinides. They are taken before each of three meals.

Because sulfonylureas and meglitinides stimulate the release of insulin, it is possible to have hypoglycemia (low blood glucose levels).

You should know that alcohol and some diabetes pills may not mix. Occasionally, chlorpropamide, and other sulfonylureas, can interact with alcohol to cause vomiting, flushing, or sickness. Ask your doctor if you are concerned about any of these side effects.

Biguanides

Metformin (Glucophage) is a biguanide. Biguanides lower blood glucose levels primarily by decreasing the amount of glucose produced by the liver. Metformin also helps to lower blood glucose levels by making muscle tissue more sensitive to insulin so glucose can be absorbed. It is usually taken two times a day. A side effect of metformin may be diarrhea, but this is improved when the drug is taken with food.

Thiazolidinediones

Rosiglitazone (Avandia) and pioglitazone (ACTOS) are in a group of drugs called thiazolidinediones. These drugs help insulin work better in the muscle and fat and also reduce glucose production in the liver. The first drug in this group, troglitazone (Rezulin), was removed from the market because it caused serious liver problems in a small number of people. So far rosiglitazone and pioglitazone have not shown the same problems, but users are still monitored closely for liver problems as a precaution. Both drugs appear to increase the risk for heart failure in some individuals, and there is debate about whether rosiglitazone may contribute to an increased risk for heart attacks. Both drugs are effective at reducing A1C and generally have few side effects.

Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors

Acarbose (Precose) and meglitol (Glyset) are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors. These drugs help the body to lower blood glucose levels by blocking the breakdown of starches, such as bread, potatoes, and pasta in the intestine. They also slow the breakdown of some sugars, such as table sugar. Their action slows the rise in blood glucose levels after a meal. They should be taken with the first bite of a meal. These drugs may have side effects, including gas and diarrhea.

DPP-4 Inhibitors

A new class of medications called DPP-4 inhibitors help improve A1C without causing hypoglycemia. They work by by preventing the breakdown of a naturally occuring compound in the body, GLP-1. GLP-1 reduces blood glucose levels in the body, but is broken down very quickly so it does not work well when injected as a drug itself. By interfering in the process that breaks down GLP-1, DPP-4 inhibitors allow it to remain active in the body longer, lowering blood glucose levels only when they are elevated. DPP-4 inhibitors do not tend to cause weight gain and tend to have a neutral or positive effect on cholesterol levels. Sitagliptin (Januvia) and saxagliptin (Onglyza) are the two DPP-4 inhibitors currently on the market.
Oral combination therapy

Because the drugs listed above act in different ways to lower blood glucose levels, they may be used together. For example, a biguanide and a sulfonylurea may be used together (For myself I take glucophage & actos together). Many combinations can be used. Though taking more than one drug can be more costly and can increase the risk of side effects, combining oral medications can improve blood glucose control when taking only a single pill does not have the desired effects. Switching from one single pill to another is not as effective as adding another type of diabetes medicine.

Replies

• wgrill
    wgrill Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You missed a couple other medications that others are using...but you are new at this...you haven't had to go the whole gammit yet...there are also these:

Levemir It is used to treat people with type 2 diabetes (condition in which the body does not use insulin normally and, therefore, cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood) who need insulin to control their diabetes. Yes, Type 2 are sometimes injection a little insulin...It should not be looked at as failure to control

Byetta Exenatide is used along with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes (condition in which the body does not use insulin normally and therefore cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood). Exenatide is in a class of medications called incretin mimetics. This has been known to bring on blood sugar lows and is also injected....

You briefly mentioned the Horribly expensive

Sitagliptin (Januvia) is used along with diet and exercise and sometimes with other medications to lower blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes (condition in which blood sugar is too high because the body does not produce or use insulin normally). Sitagliptin is in a class of medications called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors. It works by increasing the amounts of certain natural substances that lower blood sugar when it is high. This has also been mixed with Metformin in a pill called Januvamet..UGH!!! If you get a reaction from metformin...you will still have it here....
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for providing this information this was helpful to me and describes some of the issues I've had over the last year with my meds and helps me research different alternatives.

Biguanides (metformin) alone did not help me at all. .When I added Sulfonylureas such as glyburide it made a large difference.

For myself taking no meds my bs averaged 240, after 6 months of taking Metformin only (regardless of amount 500,1000, 2000) I averaged 235. Taking Metformin (500) with Glyburide (5) (single pill that has both) my bs average is 90-110. I've not tried glyburide on its own, but there are benefits to talking both so I continue on my current path. I would rather reduce any extra processing my kidneys have to do and remove any unnecessary drugs.

Now introduce Vitamin D issues and I don't believe I have diabetes, I believe diabetes is a symptom of something else that is wrong with my pancreas. Time will tell.
  • hluvj76
    hluvj76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You missed a couple other medications that others are using...but you are new at this...you haven't had to go the whole gammit yet...

Being in the medical field I'm NOT really new at this....just new having it myself. I have been caring for those with the diesease for years. I would love to say that I have the time to post EVEryTHING here for everyone but sadly I don't .... there really is far to much to learn, research and post all on my own. I just hope to get the most common out there and with luck provide some options others my not knew existed. I try to post my resource links for everyone and that way all can research further on their own.

All that help gather and post info for others......TY TY TY so much. Since I went back to work I REALLY don't have the time I'd like to have to research and post for all....SO....any help is more then welcome and BIGgggg Smilessss here!
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When i started taking metformin my usual BG was in the 140s. After months,and months with no improvement the Dr added Actos. My BG is now running in the 200s. I have pancreas problems that dont help either. UGH.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My doctor just took me off my januvia! still on the metformin