January/February Conversation Thread

Options
How did 2011 go for you? Even though I gained weight in 2011 it was a good year overall in regard to my journey to get healthier and to stop or manage my binge eating.

It is my hope you use this thread to get to know each other better and have a safe place to motivate & support one another daily. This group will be what you all make of it. So let's talk, support, share challenges, successes, and most of all share replases. We can all learn from one another. So please share, share, share. This group is what you make it so lets make it a place for all of us to get support.

One day at a time.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Overall I had a good year. After a rocky start in January, I stayed strong until November. Nov-Dec not so good as I fell into old habits when I got busy and gained some pounds back. However, back on track now. In 2011 I completed 20 personal training sessions, joined a new gym, took some behavior therapy classes, and lost about 20 lbs. It feels good to be in a size 18 again. Have not been this small since High School.

For 2012 I plan to continue my healthy lifestyle and learn more about conquering my eating disorder.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Wonderful Behavior Modification!! I just love than soo much!! and so appropriate indeed!! Keep up the good work my dear!!
  • SanFranRunner
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been neglecting this group for the past couple of weeks. It's time to get back on track!

My 2011 was good overall. I definitely struggled with binge eating, but I also started taking more proactive steps to combat it; instead of continuing to do the same things that never solve the problem, I branched out and tried new approaches like reading a book about binge eating and seeing a therapist.

This year has started out great, but the past three days have been rocky. I traveled a lot over the holidays and got engaged (!!), but now that I'm home and back to the grind I'm hoping to focus more on eliminating binge eating from my life once and for all.

Also, Behavior Modification, I'm interested in hearing more about the behavior therapy classes you took. What did they entail, and how did they help you? I might want to explore something similar in my city.
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    2011 started off really good, I was motivated, the weight came off. But then I plateaued by summer time and the weight has been creeping back on since then. And since the binging started up again this fall, I'm in rough shape. Trying to do things 1 day at a time and not set wild goals right out of the gate for 2012, but I've already failed at even the smallest goals. But again... tomorrow is another day, and yesterday and today were pretty good, so I know I can do it.

I find myself binging on crazy things - carrying a box of raisin bran around the house and eating most of it, for example. Stuff that's just "not me".

One thing I'm proud of is that I haven't had any chocolate or caffeine for 2 weeks. Caffeine makes me crazy (literally) but I was eating so much chocolate it didn't matter that I wasn't having coffee. I've stopped all decaf coffee and tea, too. Only drinking herbal tea and my Bambu coffee substitute that's made with acorns and hazelnuts or something. Oh, and drinking hot water with fresh lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper in the morning before breakfast. It helps me get my water intake up, it's soothing and it is good for the liver or something.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been neglecting this group for the past couple of weeks. It's time to get back on track!

My 2011 was good overall. I definitely struggled with binge eating, but I also started taking more proactive steps to combat it; instead of continuing to do the same things that never solve the problem, I branched out and tried new approaches like reading a book about binge eating and seeing a therapist.

This year has started out great, but the past three days have been rocky. I traveled a lot over the holidays and got engaged (!!), but now that I'm home and back to the grind I'm hoping to focus more on eliminating binge eating from my life once and for all.

Also, Behavior Modification, I'm interested in hearing more about the behavior therapy classes you took. What did they entail, and how did they help you? I might want to explore something similar in my city.

Congratulations on engagement!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Please see my blog link below starting in Aug to Dec and they tell you a little about programs out their for bingers and any one with any kind of eating disorder. When i was discharged from eating disorder program in December I was referred to a therpist who specializes in eating disorders. Over the years I have see many therpists and they have been helpful with helping me manage binging.

Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Mollie1037
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Hi SanFran! The behavior therapy classes taught all kinds of skills to conquer the eating disorder. It was a small group and we met for about 90 min once a week. First we'd start out by going around the room and telling everyone how we did for the last week and if we used any of the skills and the circumstances if we'd like to share. Some of the skills were somewhat common knowledge like deep breathing but then there were others that were very specific. It really helps to have this information and to have it all in a binder so that it is all together and easily available to me. I do however believe I would benefit from more of this type of thing and when my finances allow I'd like to do more.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    P.S. I 2nd that CONGRATS on the engagement!!! Whoo hooooo! Exciting!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Hi RainyDay - hang in there honey. If it helps, vent to us. When I'm struggling w/ bingeing it is often because I have too many bottled up emotions that need to come out. Once I get it out I stop thinking about it so much and it helps immensely.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    And 2 weeks w/o chocolate? *Standing Ovation!*
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hadn't had a full on binge since around thanksgiving but I cracked yesterday. It seems like it can never be just a one day thing. I woke up and started again. The only thing I could do to stop was come back to bed; I'm afraid to get up now!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Oh dear mandasimba, I have been there! I know exactly what you're feeling right now. On many occassions during weekends going back to bed is the only thing I can do to stop it. I'm sorry you're feeling like this. Do you think if you got up and got out of the house right away it would help - maybe get yourself focused on something else? I know it is hard to even think about getting up and out of bed right now and if you're anything like me you're probably dealing w/ depression too and that certainly doesn't help the situation. Chin up, you are not alone hon.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes, hang in there mandasimba! I had a binge yesterday but I'm back on track today. You can and will prevail! :flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Below is another good reminder on the power of positive thinking. Our outlook and attitude does affect our outcomes

Change Your Attitude!!!!!

There is nothing as motivating, nothing as powerful as your attitude and there is nothing as defeating as negative self-talk.

We have heard all before the pity party, the complaining, the doubt, do you want to end up with a shattered self image?

Here is the negative things we should be avoid saying: -
    I can’t lose weight no matter what I do......
    Why can everyone else lose weight except me?........
    It’s not fair.....
    It’s not my fault because I don’t have good genes.......
    I wish I could get rid of this gut.......
    It will never work because I like food too much.......
    I don’t have the willpower to get lean.....
    I would workout but I don’t have time.....
    I just can’t get myself up that early to workout.....
    I hate exercise!............

So now let's look the positive approach:-
    What can I do today that will help me get closer to my goal?
    What can I eat right now at this meal that will help me lose body fat?
    How great am I going to feel after I finish my workout?
    I am getting leaner every day.
    Whatever it takes, I’ll do it.
    I like eating healthy foods.
    I love working out.
    I can do it.

This and more can be found @ KETTLEWORX FAT FREE IN 42 | www.kettleworx.com
This discussion has been closed.