Anyone getting new gear for Christmas?

Options
So, I am buying new trail runners as a Christmas gift for myself and part reward for hitting my goals. Love these...getting the dark shadow color (for those who care...lol).

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Run-Pace-Glove?dimensions=0

Also, my brothers are going in together to get me a new extended trip pack and after researching and trying on numerous packs...I am strongly leaning toward this one at rei...

http://www.rei.com/product/795624/osprey-aether-85-pack

Any thoughts or recommendations?

How about you...any particular hiking gear on your wish list this year?

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous! I think I may get a few small things, like a new synthetic shirt or two. My boyfriend is really the one who needs outfitting. Also, not hiking related, but I was thinking of asking for dumbbells. I'm in serious need of some muscle! :smile:
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-technical-packs/animas-12.html?from=subCat&variationId=G22

This is the hiking pack I have and I love it- big enough to put layers and lunch with a seperate camel pack pocket with a lot of extra pockets for cell phone keys... (wow one long run on sentence)

it is also small enought that it is not heavy and very comfortable. I just go on day hikes and do not need anything bigger. I did get it on sale at the outlet so it was (I believe) $60...

I don't think I am getting any hiking equipment for Christmas. I will be getting new hiking shoes in the spring... :bigsmile:

(for Christmas I am getting a HRM!!!! :bigsmile: )
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I need a 1 person tent since since my breakup. :frown:
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I need a 1 person tent since since my breakup. :frown:

GET A 2 PERSON TENT... you never know who you are going to meet and where.... :wink:
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily for Christmas (I blew my *ahem* wad of CASH on an espresso machine :blushing:), but I am in the market for a sleeping bag.

Heavily leaning toward synthetic fill instead of down, and hoping to keep the price point under $200, the weight under 3 lbs., and the temp rating ~10-15 degrees. Will be used for car camping and backpacking (although probably more car camping because we can be lazy like that :laugh:), and hoping it will last 20+ years like my bf's TNF Cat's Meow. :)

Anyone have any recommendations?
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Fingers crossed for snow shoes.
  • catch1331
    Options
    SNOWSHOES!!!!!!!
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wish we had enough snow around here and make snow shoes worthwhile! caveats, REI has some great bags in your range and they currently have 30% off any one regular item for members...ends this week, I think...
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Wish we had enough snow around here and make snow shoes worthwhile! caveats, REI has some great bags in your range and they currently have 30% off any one regular item for members...ends this week, I think...

Snow seems to be hard to find this season unless you're living in the PNW. *sigh*

Yep, I checked out REI's sale last week ... some great bags there, and I'm pondering them. However, I didn't like any of the REI branded ones (I don't even recall if there was more than, like, 1), and only REI brand items qualify for the 30% off. :( There were a couple of Marmots on sale that were okay priced ... kinda hoping they will go down further post-Christmas.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I got these awesome (and pink!) snowshoes --- something about girly sports stuff makes me happy lol, and i am NOT usually what you'd consider a "girly girl" lol

tubbs-journey-snowshoes-w-lg1-300x300.jpg

Now... if it would just SNOW!??! (its in tonight's forecast...)
  • Run13point1
    Options
    Kahtoola Micro-spikes. Yay! Icy Trails here I come!
  • Run13point1
    Options
    I got these awesome (and pink!) snowshoes --- something about girly sports stuff makes me happy lol, and i am NOT usually what you'd consider a "girly girl" lol

tubbs-journey-snowshoes-w-lg1-300x300.jpg

Now... if it would just SNOW!??! (its in tonight's forecast...)

I was hoping to win a pair of the pink TUBBS from Komen Romp to Stomp for answering a race questionaire last series but, alas, I did not win. Sigh. I'm way jealous. :-)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

I was hoping to win a pair of the pink TUBBS from Komen Romp to Stomp for answering a race questionaire last series but, alas, I did not win. Sigh. I'm way jealous. :-)

You will have plenty of fun with the Kahtoola Micro Spikes! I :heart: mine (though i haven't been able to use them yet this winter: no hiking recently and we STILL have no snow! (though there is some snow and plenty of ice on the trails)
  • sunnydale2009
    Options
    Santa dropped by with trekking poles for my husband and myself. A very handy addition to the snowshoes we bought in October. Thankfully we do have snow where I live (Northern Ontario, Algoma Region), and we're out on the trails at least three days a week. This is the first year I've snowshoed and I just love it! :smile: Although poles aren't a necessity on the flats, they sure come in handy in the bush.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    For Christmas my bff got me a new Camel Back bottle that i've used every single day since. Santa/mom is always great about giving me cash and i haven't decided yet what to get.

**i buy 'most' of my hiking and backpacking equipment at the REI attic sales. My friends and i go to REI with our sleeping bags or hammocks and make a party out of camping out. Talk about deals....WOW. Dirt cheap. So i'll probably wait until the next sale**
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got a new pack tent - Eureka Solitare - EZ lite sleep pad - Kelty 0 degree bag and will be looking into getting a new pack before Feb 20th when I set out for my 4 day hike on the AT :) and yes the pad and bag are excellent - just used this past weekend on the AT in Maryland :)
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    What section of the AT are you hitting?
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Last week I did Harpers Ferry to Middletown - my goal is to start from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry weekend of Feb 20th - I'm hoping the weather will continue to stay mild by then - we've been lucky so far.