1 Rep Max

Options
tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
How do y'all figure your 1 rep max's? Are you actually performing them with a spotter? If you do that, are you also taping up for em? In all my workout days I'm very hesitant to waste my time & energy on finding my true max's but I'd like to know. And I'm not gonna bother someone to follow me around & spot me on everything.

Do you use any of the 1 rep max formulas? The most common is probably the [weight * ( reps * 0.033 + 1 )] one, right? I just am not sure how accurate these are? Anyone ever tested this against your actual performed 1 rep max?

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Nah I just do it the old school way. Step up to the plate with no spotter. If I fail, I fail. ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bumping to hear replies
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Spotter, preferably two.. chalk, tape, and a really good warm up.

Attempting a max without a spotter is incredibly unsmart.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    I should mention that I already know my max within +/- 10lbs so there no point in having 2 dudes helping me out. I really shouldn't need that much help and if I do than im probably way in over my head and I shouldn't try to impress others ;)
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    btw, the problem i have with having spotters is most people tend to think they can push more weight just because the failsafe is there.
    heres what can happen, regardless:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaFwHNoxdE

Oh and I've never had an oops in 5 yrs of working out
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have a power rack so for squats if I fail I just lower it down to the safety bars. For bench, same thing. For deadlift, if I don't make it I'll just be dropping it.

The current program I'm on is all about increasing 1rm's. The first 5-6 weeks are more volume based & then the last 7-11 get down to triples, doubles & singles with just a bit of volume to finish off. So for the first 6 weeks, I won't be testing 1rm's but for the next 5 I will be getting close to them with the PR attempts coming in the final 2 weeks.

I've used the 1rm formula you said before but mainly just to determine perceived effort between different reps ie. 60x8 vs 70x5

Hope that makes sense :P
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    also dont use spotters for most 1rm testing.

just for bench, for obvious reasons.

squat, no, in the rack. :) If i cant get up myself, i dont want help.
    deadlift, no, not needed at all ever. obviously.
    overhead press, how does your gym buddy, who is 2 inches shorter, spot this one anyway??? Failure on this one is simple, bring it back down the way it went up... ?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    also dont use spotters for most 1rm testing.

just for bench, for obvious reasons.

squat, no, in the rack. :) If i cant get up myself, i dont want help.
    deadlift, no, not needed at all ever. obviously.
    overhead press, how does your gym buddy, who is 2 inches shorter, spot this one anyway??? Failure on this one is simple, bring it back down the way it went up... ?

Obviously you need one for bench.
    On deads I keep a friend nearby in case I pass out.
    Overhead, it's good to have a spotter. I keep someone standing behind me within arms reach. It's easy to lose balance if you don't get your head through, and you can fall back.

To the OP. You can test your 1RM for any lift. But don't test them too often.
    You can also use this formula to get projected 1RMs without having to max.

weight you lifted x reps x .033333333 + weight you lifted = projected max
    Example if I deadlift 265x7 (number pulled from this weekend)
    265x7x.033333 + 265= project 1rm of 326 (my previous max dead was 320. so this formula is fairly close)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I use jefit (it's a phone app and a website). It calculates my 1 RM from the weight, sets, and reps I do. I don't know how though...
  • grantacconda
    Options
    Just joined this group. Im from Aus and use Kgs instead of lbs...

Height - 6ft 2
    My Current weight - 103Kgs
    My Goal Weight is - 93Kgs

Im stripping atm. Have about 20% bodyfat currently.

My lifts are;

Bench - 120Kgs
    Squat - 130Kgs
    Dead - 190Kgs