Any ideas on how to increase my calorie intake on Low Carb?

Stephie_J
Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
edited October 14 in Social Groups
Hi, I seem to have trouble hitting my recommended daily calories (1200) while following Low Carb, any ideas on low carb foods that are higher in calories? I'm not feeling hungry every day by eating fewer calories, so I don't necessarily need bigger meals?

These are my nutrition figures so far:

Day 1 - 17g carbs | 981 Net cals
Day 2 - 18g carbs | 703 Net cals
Day 3 - 15g carbs | 894 Net cals
Day 4 - 22g carbs | 795 Net cals
Day 5 - 19g carbs | 672 Net cals

Replies

• joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Nuts are calorie dense and low carb. I also like beef jerky.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Make sure you are getting some oils/fats (e.g., olive oil). That adds lots of cals. But it is important for digestion.
  • lrosemoore1
    lrosemoore1 Posts: 22 Member
    I have the same problem. Cheese crisps, cream cheese, cheese melted on dinner..lol it helps up the calories. I love that I can eat cheese on lchf.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    One tablespoon each of natural peanut (or other nut) butter and coconut oil does it for me when I'm way under calories. And a square or chunk of hard cheese is never wrong. There's always room for those.

Otherwise, simply adding extra butter or oil to your current meal adds calories without extra bulk.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    If you're truly not hungry, then don't feel it is necessary to eat. There will be days when you feel like eating everything in sight, to it will even out!

If you want extra calories, make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats. What are your macros set to?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Avocados, nuts and seeds, coconut.

Cheese, salmon, whole eggs if you're not vegetarian.

Put peanut butter on your bananas. Peanut butter on your apples. Butter and sour cream on your potatoes. Butter on your squash. Douse your grapes in heavy whipping cream. Your diary looks a bit high carb @ a 225 per day goal. Definately low fat @ 25.

Perhaps if you changed your macros (under goals) closer to the values you are striving for, the food choices may follow. Just a thought. My schedule is such that I plan/enter my dinner, view where I am in relation to macro goals then select breakfast and lunch options accordingly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2016
    DONT EAT WHEN YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY.

You're body is using the stored calories that it once could not access. It's supposed to do that and you should not feel hungry when you're carrying around hundreds of thousands of calories of food in your built in pantry.

It won't last. Believe me! Enjoy it now!
  • kpk54
    You could also replace your food chioces (per your diary entries):
    Lean bacon with full fat bacon
    0 fat yogurt with full fat yogurt
    Skim milk with full fat milk or half and half or even heavy whipping cream if you wanted
    Light cream cheese with full fat cream cheese
    Light cheese with full fat cheese
    Lean pork entry with a fattier entry

All of these would result the same amount of food but the higher calories that you indicated you wanted in your original post.

All are low carb and more low carb than your current choices of apples, banana, grapes, couscous, rice, wheatabix, potatoes, etc.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Wait a second!!!!????
    This post is from 2012?
    How the heck?!?!

It's a zombie back from the dead!
  • kpk54
    LOL. I didn't even notice. Good though the op is still around and tracking calories, just not following a low carb lifestyle according to current entries. :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    LOL. I didn't even notice. Good though the op is still around and tracking calories, just not following a low carb lifestyle according to current entries. :)

Lol. Yeah, that explains why everything they're eating is exactly opposite of LCHF. Times, they are a changin' (well, WOE has for op). :)
This discussion has been closed.