Not too much longer.....

Options
risskie
risskie Posts: 203 Member
Hi all group members,
Well, I'm almost there. Had my pre admission testing yesterday. Now have lost 53lbs. I check in to the hospital on MLK Day - 1/16 at 6:30am. I'll be in surgery from 8-11:30. After that my new stomach (pouch) will be the size of an egg. The way I look at it, after the surgery I'll be half way 'there' .... I don't know when/where/ or what 'there' looks/feels like, but I think I'll know it when I'm there.
I am looking fwd to continuing my journey when I get back home from the hosp. I have a question for all you post ByPass people.... what do you feel like when you get home? Can you sleep in your bed, or do you need sleep sitting up? How often did you need to take pain medicine? Lastly, when did you know you could get back to driving again?
Thanks for sharing, and feel free to add any other thing you can think off that help you after you got back home.
Christine:flowerforyou:

Replies

• skatermom503
    Options
    Hi
    So close now! Recovery itself isn't too bad. I was off pain meds in about 4 days. I slept in my own bed without a problem although occasionally my daughter had to come help me get up especially when you have to get up to the bathroom during the night. Only lasted maybe a week so not bad. I had my surgery on a Friday and I drove my daughter to work Monday morning but I made sure I hadn't taken my pain meds! Good luck and prayers coming your way. It is a huge adjustment and you just have to take it a day at a time. Make sure you walk A LOT while you are in the hospital and when you get home (I would make trips around the island in my kitchen. It wasn't much but it helped). You may have a problem with gas pains a few days out because they fill your belly with gas. They try to get it all out but you know. Walking will help. And extend and flex your feet a lot. This will stretch out your calf muscles and help you avoid clots.
  • mchope
    mchope Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 2 1/2 years post op, and I don't remember.I do know I was afraid to eat so protein shakes and soft stuff were fine with me. I still do not like chewy stuff as Steak, it used to one on my favorites.Spend the money on the food you really need, and the flavors you like.It is time to develop your new lifetime habits. I know you will do great, because you have been doing well now...
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I could sleep in my bed, but i would wake up in pain some nights. it felt like there was something pulling in my left side near the pouch. i stayed on the pain meds steadily for about 4 days, then as needed (1 or 2 a day) for another 5 days. I was up walking around 4 hours after surgery, making laps around the floor. By the 2nd day I was able to stand/walk/move without assistance. I had my surgery on a monday and went to work the following monday. I went without the pain meds while I was at work, so I could drive. As soon as I got home I would take a pill to take the edge off, but it was really manageable.

The worst part was the change in the hospital from the push button IV meds to the percocets every 4 hours... that transition sucked!