Trying to get into treatment

Options
busterbluth
busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
So, I had an assessment for a treatment program today, and it was kind of a bust. The unit only has 3 types of programs: inpatient, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient (3 evenings a week, all evening). They don't have any regular outpatient counselors, to my dismay. I'm a single parent, so none of these treatment options really work for me. She suggested I might want to try to get babysitting and at least START with one of them and switch to an outpatient therapist somewhere, but that's easier said than done with a kid.

Another issue for me is group: I have found it somewhat helpful in the past, but I don't know. At the last program I was in, I was one of the smallest. I feel like I'm "not skinny enough" for treatment this time and like I'll be triggered into losing weight by all the other patients being smaller than me? I know that's completely irrational, but there it is.

Right now I'm just trying to focus on increasing my calories on my own and struggling with the idea of getting rid of my scale. I threw away my remaining laxatives today.

Replies

• PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it is going to be really quite hard to arrange - what a pain.

Good to see you're making some positive steps despite the set-back though - well done.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    are there any other programs in your area? What about just a counselor that specializes in ED...that's what I do. i'm glad you're working toward recovery, but keep fighting!
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It may be good to get into a counselor or nutritionist... I will be going into my doctor and requesting treatment soon, but I know that having a support group here has already helped me tremendously.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So I have had more support from my friends here than any other program or therapist. For Real! You need a support group that is there all the time, not just 3 days/week. I have really had tremendous luck here, not feeling so isolated or alone, and being able to 'talk" with other people who "get" it.

Also, IMO, I would avoid that group. Way too triggering. You need healthy friends ( like me) who are sort-of recovered ( been like 3 -4 months now).

hang in there <3
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been hospitalized, worked with multiple nutritionists, my GP...nothing. But I got a naturopath who I didn't even tell about the ED (bad, I know) and her weight gain stuff and new allergy elimination diet have made it so I'm actually loads better! Now I eliminate food groups, not calories, which may not be any better really but it is living. So maybe try a naturopath? Or really if you do it alone find someone to be accountable to at least.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon to feel not skinny enough in the group settings. That is why they often say support groups dont work, but what you are looking at doing is different from that. I feel the same way. Every time I go to the hospital I think that people are going to wonder why I am there b/c I am the biggest one. It isnt a competition..I have to remind myself.

As far as everything else if you really want to you will find a way. I had to find people to stay at my house to take care of my animals everytime I get put in the hospital. Some days I didnt even know who was here it was so complex, but I did it. And when I got out I drove one way 2 and 1/2 to go to partial group for a month because I knew if I didnt I would end up right where I was. So if you really want to there is help out there you just have to look..didnt say it would be easy....
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So, I had an assessment for a treatment program today, and it was kind of a bust. The unit only has 3 types of programs: inpatient, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient (3 evenings a week, all evening). They don't have any regular outpatient counselors, to my dismay. I'm a single parent, so none of these treatment options really work for me. She suggested I might want to try to get babysitting and at least START with one of them and switch to an outpatient therapist somewhere, but that's easier said than done with a kid.

Another issue for me is group: I have found it somewhat helpful in the past, but I don't know. At the last program I was in, I was one of the smallest. I feel like I'm "not skinny enough" for treatment this time and like I'll be triggered into losing weight by all the other patients being smaller than me? I know that's completely irrational, but there it is.

Right now I'm just trying to focus on increasing my calories on my own and struggling with the idea of getting rid of my scale. I threw away my remaining laxatives today.
    And please please dont use laxatives. This I beg of you. Dont ever say much to anybody about behavior except this one. This one almost killed me, but instead I had to have my whole large intetine removed and ended up with a colostomy(a bag on the OUTSIDE of your stomache that poop goes into) all beacuse of laxatives. It was reversed eventually but now my body is so screwed up that some days I might as well not get off the toliet or have to wear attends. So I really beg of you not to use them...:cry:

I am glad you did throw them out though!!! KUDDOS TO YOU!!!