introduce yourself

Options
2»

Replies

• suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My name is Susan, and I started smoking a pack a day when I was 18. I would sneak a few here and there prior to that, but I waited until I was old enough to legally buy them (and should have been old enough to know better) before I became addicted.

I quit two years ago when I was 35 -- after my favorite aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer and my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. My mother survived...my aunt did not.

I had tried everything...my ex-husband telling me we *had* to quit, smoking menthols because I didn't like the taste, smoking full-flavoreds because they were too harsh to smoke, e-cigs, patches, gums, lozenges...

When I finally realized I was a puppet to the tobacco companies, I got mad. I downloaded a self-hypnosis cd and fell asleep to his soothing voice telling that cigarettes were disgusting every night. Then I borrowed Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book from the library. I figured if it didn't work, I was out absolutely nothing but a lazy Saturday afternoon.

I quit. I think the self-hypnosis helped prime my mind to quit, but Allen Carr's logic brought it home.

After I quit, I quickly gained 15 pounds. But more important...I gained control of my life and my choices. I choose not to smoke. It is not something I struggle with now. And other than my children, it is my greatest achievement.
  • aNEWmarcus
    Options
    Hi, I'm Marcus, 38, smoker for 20yrs and now I've started my new life transformation journey, I realise the next step is to get rid of the smokes.. Just started on MFP and in my first 1.5 wks have managed to lose 2lbs (very happy bunny) and have fallen back in love with exercising and actually enjoying the fact that I have pretty good lung capacity, but know it could be much better if I didn't smoke.. My lung age test was that of a 30yr old, but I know that could change any time..

I attempt to quit almost annually and the longest period I've lasted is about 11days - this year I did the same, but the minute I was bored (moved to a new area) I picked them up again. I realise that now I am exercising I can fill the void I had for a while..

So my quit date is 2nd December 2011 (the 11th anniversary of my father passing) and if anyone has any advice, great tips - anything - please do pass them on them. I will spend time to read through all the comments in the group as well.

To those that have quit - congrats, to those like me wanting to - we can and wil!!..
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Barbara , 52
    I started smoking when I was 15 and I smoked 1 to 1 1/2 packs per day. I tried so many times to "kick the habit" but was never successful.
    Originally from Germany, I moved to Ireland with my hubby 6 years ago. We started growing our own fruit and veg and are trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. Wow, green ideas and a black lung:noway:
    About 10 weeks ago I decided to change my diet; my cholesterol was sky-high. I managed to lose weight and reduce the cholesterol a bit when I found out about MFP. With MFP losing weight, getting in shape and eating healthy was so much easier and then, on 11.9.11 I thought: if I can do this, I can quit smoking as well. I got Allen Carr's book from the attic and started reading...couldn't stop and don't even know when I had my last cigarette that day . I realized it is not just a "habit" I have to kick but an addiction. Anyway, I quit smoking after 37 years, I am not on NRT......Cold Turkey seems to be perfect for myself, I am still losing weight (1 pound/week) and I am feeling fabulous. The only withdrawal symptoms I had: insomnia for 4 nights.
    This time I KNOW I am successful.
    To all of you who have fought or are fighting this nico-demon : this is the best thing you can do for yourself. Don't be scared, you won';t gain a lot of weight and, by the way, with MFP and more exercize you won't have to.
    Good luck to the new Non- Smokers and hats off to those who have already managed to stay off the drug.:flowerforyou:
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandra;

My name is Lucia. I live on Long Island, NY,

I smoked since I was 13, I am now 60. It was both easy and hard for me to quit. I will explain. Two years ago in March I had pneumonia, for the third time. It was not getting better, so I went back to my doctor. He calmly said, go to the ER. I did and the next thing I knew was that I had had a pulmonary embolism. They told my son my chances of living were 30%. I had been on a respirator for 3 weeks in ICU. Obviously, I was unable, nor did I have the desire to smoke. I wont bore you with the rest of my story, but one thing the doctors said was if you smoke, you will die. When I came home I ha no desire to smoke at all. A few months ago a good friend was diagnosed with cancer. He has 3 to 6 months. Well, I tried to smoke but the pain in my lungs was incredible, so I could'nt . Honestly I miss it. Also between laying in bed when I came home, having to retire and quitting I gained 50 POUNDS. THIS WAS DEVASTING as I never had a weight problem.

That is m story. I had been a special ed teacher for 30 years, I do miss it and honestly my income has dropped 60% and it is difficult. I live alone and rarely see my friends. I have 2 sons which I rarely see and due to extreme circumstances I do not see my grand kids. My sons are my only family, so I do need support and friends. MY Mom passed 6 months prior to my illness and it was tough without her. She was an only child as was I. Thefore, lack of family. Holidays are extremely hard.

I apologize if I have depressed anyone. My intention was, do not smoke. Appreciate your family.

I hope you will friend me. TY for letting me share.

Lucia
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I give you much credit for being your moms caretaker. My Mom also passed 3 years ago, but in her sleep. My Dad had lung cancer , many years ago. He lasted 1 week and did in th hospital. This was over 30 years ago. Since he died so fast an autopsy was done because the doctors had no idea why he died. He had lung cancer, the kind you get when you do not smoke.

I didnt give up smoking, but I have now. I you read my response to Sandra you will understand why.

My best to you. feel free to friend me.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Crystal. I have been quit for 90 days. I had smoked since I was 13 and I am now 29. I had talked about quitting so many times. I hated that I got winded going up steps, or walking far. I knew I was too young to feel that bad. In Jan. 2011, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. We knew it was coming eventually, The man chained smoked for year. But the reality was hard. I quit right after we found out. Lasted 30 days, ran out of patches and tried to go cold turkey. My husband was still smoking and I eventually smoked on of his. This time I quit 8/21/11. I bought enough patches to last the first 2 months and my husband quit with me this time. Two days after I quit, we found out the cancer had spread to his brain. A month after I quit, he died. Luckily, he went very peacefully and didn't suffer. He had just been put on hospice. I stayed quit through the entire ordeal.
    When I first quit, I started using MFP so I wouldn't GAIN weight during my quit. I was going to wait a while before I started to try dieting. I didn't want to take on to much at one time, afraid I would fail at everything. Well, after I quit smoking I had a lot of energy. A LOT OF ENERGY!!! I know some of it at the beginning was probably nervous energy, but hey, I used it. With in a few weeks, I started walking with a friend and doing the 20 min cardio video of Turbo Jam. I no longer cough when I wake up, I can smell and taste food. I can do an hour long workout and only pause for breath a few times (it was every couple of mins in the beginning). I traded enough good habits to counteract the withdraw effects from nicotine. It was easy, except for the grieving. The few times I was upset and thought about smoking, I would tell myself "A cigarette is not going to solve your problem, it is the cause of your problem." I used a lot of self talk, a motivational college with quotes wrote on my bathroom mirror, and the quit hotline. Website is quitcoach.net I think. It helped alot!! I went there everyday in the beginning, now I go back once in a while to check on my day count. Also, I got a brita water bottle and I carrying it everywhere. I think this helped since drinking from a water bottle is a similar motion to smoking and it gave me something to hold in my hand. :) Drinking water is a MUCH healthier habit!

I love reading about everyone's success stories! Keep up the awesomeness!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal
    Well done you :flowerforyou: You are so right: a cigarette doesn't solve our problems, it causes too many of them.
    It's not even 2 weeks I quit but I know this time I'll pull through. I will try the water bottle! Great idea!!!
    I have no problems with withdrawal symptoms although I quit cold turkey, but my hands need a bit to do and water is always good.
    So I will give it a go.:drinker:
    Barbara
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    well done Crystal, I'm on day 6 with no smoking so early days but feel better already, started doing more exercise and drinking water now, have probably put on weight but was expecting that, will see on Tue morning..... :smile:
  • Ernestern
    Ernestern Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm 43 years old and I'm looking at my 25th year of smoking. I started shortly after joining the Army and I've always promised myself I'd quite when I retired. That was five years ago and I'm still smoking like a freight train - a little more than a pack a day. I've made several serious attempts at quitting and many many minor attempts, none of which obviously stuck. I've used the pills, patches, gums, shrinks, the whole nine yards, and while they all help, ultimately it is still up to the individual's desire to quit the habit.

I'm currently gearing myself up another serious attempt to quit once the holidays are over. I'm still working on my plan to finally make it a successful one, so any advice or tips will greatly be appreciated.
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I'm Kelly. I've been smoke free since Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011. I started in 1995 or around that time. Quitting wasn't easy and there were moments, but I'm so glad I decided to stop. So many things are better now. My health, the taste of food, my hair is healthier, everything smells wonderful and my mood is way better because I'm not living for the next smoke. Oh and a smoke free kiss is soooo much better than a smoker's kiss (I had to throw that in there).

For those of you just starting, please stay strong and know that you can do it.
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Shani and I quit 10/30/11. This is my 6th time quitting. I gone months and months in the past but always fall back of the wagon. It never gets easier. Ive tried every product on the market and decided to just do the gum this time. Good luck everyone!
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Shani and I quit 10/30/11. This is my 6th time quitting. I gone months and months in the past but always fall back of the wagon. It never gets easier. Ive tried every product on the market and decided to just do the gum this time. Good luck everyone!

Oh ya. Ive smoked for 17 years total.Started when I was 13 and I'm 31 now.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm 43 years old and I'm looking at my 25th year of smoking. I started shortly after joining the Army and I've always promised myself I'd quite when I retired. That was five years ago and I'm still smoking like a freight train - a little more than a pack a day. I've made several serious attempts at quitting and many many minor attempts, none of which obviously stuck. I've used the pills, patches, gums, shrinks, the whole nine yards, and while they all help, ultimately it is still up to the individual's desire to quit the habit.

I'm currently gearing myself up another serious attempt to quit once the holidays are over. I'm still working on my plan to finally make it a successful one, so any advice or tips will greatly be appreciated.

Thats funny, I promised myself I would quit when the price reached $5 a pack, well now it's $7 a pack and I was still smoking. Good luck on your next attempt, you can do it! A tips I have - candy canes are awesome when you crave. My biggest downfall was when something stressful happens (like a father-in-law has a heart attack and is in the hospital) I end up going right back to smoking. I'll still trying to figure out a plan in case something like that happens again.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I guess I should formally introduce myself.

Hi, I'm Liz and I'm 26 years old. I started smoking when I was 10, and the last couple years I have been trying to quit. I would make it a few weeks to a few months and something would happen and I'd turn right back to cigarettes to help me out (like that would really help me).

My quit date is November 17th, I'm currently on day 6 and going strong using the patch. I feel more determined and motivated this time than any other time - and I already have a plan for the money I save by quitting (which I think helps me stay on track when I get the urge to smoke).
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to be amongst a bunch of quitters! :tongue:

I started smoking when I was 17/18 (now 27) after swearing up and down I'd never be like my friends. I stupidly started up and started and stopped several times. The first when I joined the Army Reserves; I quit for 6mos. Then I started back up. I quit when I got pregnant for a total of about a year, then I went back. I quit again for two years, but my ugly separation and divorce turned me to start up again. Each time I quit cold turkey.

This time I'd like it to be for good, I know it's not the nicotine that I need because I don't miss that. I just miss that me time, my escape. Plus it was controlling my appetite which is now so out of control I'm a little concerned. Very stressful situations are my trigger, but I need to find another way to manage. My quit date is Nov. 24th and while I miss it, it's not enough to make me want to light up. Congrats everyone! And for those thinking about quitting, you can do it! :smile:
  • havalinaz
    havalinaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Kelee, and I am so ready to quit smoking. I have an 8 month old, and want to set the best example for my baby girl. My husband and I have both commited to a quit date of Jan. 1, 2012. I just hope we dont kill each other!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    just checking in to see how everyone is doing. i am going on day 3... actually feel a lot better today, everytime i want a cig i drink my water, which is good bc i never get my water in! hope everyone else is doing well!
  • sistersue2120
    sistersue2120 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Pam, I started smoking when I was 14 to "fit in" and be part of the crowd. I have tried to quit several times with very little to no sucess, it took seeing my favorite sister getting sick and dying of lung cancer to get me to attemp to quit again.....I take it day by day. Smoke free since Oct.....
  • dmarie1181
    Options
    Hi, my name is Deena. I started smoking when I was 14 and now I'm 30. I managed to quit for about 5-6 months two years ago. I used the patches the first 6 weeks and did really well. I started back because I thought I could smoke just one, but that was all it took to get me back to smoking. Tomorrow is my day! I've been doing really good only smoking about 5 cigarettes a day for a couple of weeks now. I'm smoking my last one tonight! Good luck and way to go to all of you who are 'quitters"!
  • jmrobison
    jmrobison Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Im jenn. I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I have had a few ruff patches that were hard to get through but in the end I am still cig free. I have a lot of tricks to get through the cravings so if anyone wants some tips feel free to ask me. And good luck to you all you can do it, never give up on yourself, its just like every other challenge; take it one day (or maybe one minute) at a time. The cravings will go away, eventually no matter what it may seem like.