7 Years Out and Back on Track

Options
mSquared77
mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
I'm almost 7 years post-op and believe the decision to have RNY was one of the best I've ever made. I lost approx. 160 pounds and over the last couple of years have gained about 30. It's true that the surgery will help you with about 60% of meeting your goals, and you are responsible for the hard work of the other 40% and maintaining. I'll admit that I took the 60% for granted. Until now! I feel like I'm finally back in control, and for the last 40 days have been working out like never before, and tracking every morsel across my lips. I know there must be others like me and I'm loving MFP for the community aspect, plus I totally thrive on the tacking and using the mobile app on my iPhone. Hope to connect with others - I know we can do this and own that other 40%. =)

Replies

• ebernutter
    Options
    Good for you!! I'm nearly 6 years out from my RNY, and I did wonderfully at the start as well, and am getting myself back on track as well... Best of luck!!!
  • cjthumper
    cjthumper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just had my RNY on 12/13/11. I am hoping that using several support groups, live and online, will keep me motivated and informed. Congratulations to both of you and I am looking forward to sharing in your experiences and best practices!
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    T-8 days until my gastric bypass. Pre-admission testing on Monday. Trying to choke down Unjury protein powder 4x daily is very tough. I have containers of vanilla, choc, and unflavored to mix into all my liquidy-type foods. My bowels are revolting. Any ideas on trying to get things moving again?
  • ksm5
    ksm5 Posts: 12
    Options
    I had my RNY done in 2006. I lost 170 lbs after 9 months. Things came to a halt. I have learned so much in the past years. I regained 70 lbs during a bout of stress, depression, and insomnia. Got back on track and have maintained 150 lbs off from original pre surgery high.

Diet and exercise and retraining yourself are such important parts of being successful. I know those who are highly successful and those are gained back everything...

I would so do it again. I feel that I have a new chance at life....one that I enjoy.
  • MsPinVa
    MsPinVa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat at most post-ops. Totally took the surgery for granted. Well worth it, just wish (like all of us) I had used our tool properly while learning to eat and workout for our health :) Best of luck!
  • Lindabyes
    Options
    I hear ya Sassy!!! But the good thing is we all know what to do now and we have a common goal to do this the right way and retake advantage of the tool/lessons the surgery gave us! On to a better life!