Kosher Recipes Lightened up

Options
I am new to this website. I was wondering if anyone had any favorite recipes that they lightened up or cared to share. I have a few it anyone would like to hear.

Replies

• AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can eat Latkes all the time but fried really hurts the waist

Baked Latkes
    2 lbs potatoes (shredded or grated)
    1 onion (shredded or grated)
    2 eggs
    salt , pepper
    1/4 cup matzo meal or 1/4 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    nonstick cooking spray
    Directions:
    1:Preheat oven to 425°F.
    2:Drain excess liquid from potatoes. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
    3:Spray two baking sheets.
    4:Add latke mixture by 1/4 cup; flatten.
    5:Bake 15 minutes; turn latkes; and bake 10 minutes longer.
    6:Serve with applesauce or sour cream.

Shabbat Soup
    20 cups cold water
    8 chicken , bottoms
    4 large carrots , cut to 2 . 5-inchx . 5-inch pieces
    3 stalks celery , cut like carrots
    2 parsnips , cut like carrots
    1 turnip , cubed (bite-sized)
    2 large onions , cut in half
    1 bunch parsley (tied up)
    1 bunch dill (tied up)
    salt & pepper or chicken bouillon
    Directions:
    1:Bring water to boil, add chicken, return to boil (covered).
    2:Add all vegetables except for parsley & dill and allow to cook on medium to low heat, uncovered, until reduced by about half (2-3 hours). You may skim during the cooking or refrigerate the finished soup and remove the solidified fat.
    3:Add parsley & dill and cook for 20 minutes, then remove the herbs and discard.
    4:Season soup with salt & pepper or boullion powder to taste. If soup is too strong, add water. If it is too weak let it boil out longer (uncovered).
    5:Remove from heat and allow to cool.
    6:Remove the chicken and separate out the meat into bite sized pieces (shreds). Return the chicken pieces to the pot. Serve immediately or freeze.

I sometimes add matzo balls cause this girl craves them. I also use matzo as my chips with hot sauce :)
  • lhershkop
    Options
    wow i like your latkes idea! I can never get enough of them!!! (like it needs to be chanukah to eat them, right?!) I will try them! :) maybe next week dinner/ side dish! :)

I have a recipe for lightened up chicken fried rice and fettuccine alfredo, if you'd like to hear them? Also, have you seen the site kosherinthekitch.com? sometime she posts lightened up recipe ideas.
  • AviaBatyah
    Options
    Alfredo is so my fav. I can eat that everyday with some broccoli :) Health fried rice did I die...lol I will check out that sight. I might of came across it and not remember. I check sites out and write down the recipes in a binder that I have been collecting recipes. We eat latkes about 4-5 times a year.
  • AviaBatyah
    Options
    I just tried this today and they are good :)
    Soda Cupcakes
    1 box of cake mix any flavor
    1 can diet soda any flavor, Walmart has generic Sam's choice diet coke that's Kosher :)
    Be inventive and maybe vanilla cake and diet orange or lemon-lime.
    It makes 24 cupcakes and I guess depending on brand you buy there about 60-70 calories each
    Per Serving: 75cal 16carb 1fat 1protien 1 fiber I added 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top of mine.

Zucchini Tuna Casserole
    1 lg zucchini
    2 cans tuna light in water
    1 1/2 Cups 98% fat free cream of mushroom
    1/4 Cup onion
    1/2 Cup 2% cheddar
    Add all ingredients except cheese in a 8x8 pan. sprinkle cheese on top. cook 30 mins at 350
    This has 2 servings
    Per Serving: 313 cal 24carb 12fat 33protien 4fiber
    You can add any of you fav's to this. Peas, celery, ext... I love using Zucchini when a recipe calls for noodles.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! I don't know when I'll get to try the Potato Latke recipe, but it sure sounds good!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I guess this is a little late for Pesach AND Pesach Sheni, but my mom had a good idea for healthier matzah brei. She used a mix of regular and whole wheat matzah, and then used egg whites instead of whole eggs.

Another trick my family has when we make chicken soup is to refrigerate the soup. When it gels, all the fat sits on top and you can scrape it off with a spoon!

If anyone comes up with a healthy loksh kugel recipe, I may weep with joy. Even though Shabbos and Yom Tov are my "eat what I want" days. :)
  • AviaBatyah
    Options
    Just looked up calories for Lokshen Kugel :(
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 537 Calories from Fat 231
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 26 g 40%
    Saturated Fat 14 g 70%
    Trans Fat 0%
    Cholesterol 201 mg 67%
    Sodium 716 mg 30%
    Total Carbohydrate 60 g 20%
    Dietary Fiber 2 g 7%
    Sugars 21 g
    Protein 17 g
    Vitamin A 17%
    Vitamin C 0 mg 1%
    Calcium 112 mg 11%
    Iron 3 mg 15%
    Potassium 274 mg 1%

Must find a healthier recipe. May try Sunday making making it with egg whites , fat free sour cream and fat free cottage cheese and see how it taste... Worth tiring :)
  • AviaBatyah
    Options
    Apple Lokshen Kugel
    Ingredients

8 ounces egg noodles
    1/4 cup dark seedless raisins
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
    4 eggs
    3 red apples, such as Pink Lady or Fuji, peeled and chopped
    1/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Method

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with canola oil cooking spray. Soak raisins in hot water to cover. Cook noodles according to package direction and drain.

Meanwhile, lightly beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped apples and melted butter. Drain raisins and add to egg mixture. Stir in the sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Add the cooked drained noodles. Stir well and pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, covered with foil. Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
    Nutrition

Per Serving: 330 calories (110 from fat), 13g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 10g protein, 46g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 16g sugar), 195mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium