not falling off the wagon

Options
I am really having a hard time, I have been doing this for 26 days and i want to blow it already. This is where the wheels fall off and i blow it. I dont want to but its so hard to eat the right way and stay away from fried foods that taste so good. I would love to get to 3 months i dont know how that feels. I pray that i get through this and i am okay

Replies

• jenskh
    jenskh Posts: 5
    Options
    Stick with it sunkistlefty! Your profile shows a weight tracker indicating that what you're doing now is working. Look back at your motivators and that golf game!
  • dad040859
    Options
    Similar to a twelve step program, you have to take this thing one day at a time. Celebrate every small victory! Even if that victory is just passing up a temptation for something you know will be better for you...

I ran a couple of marathons several years ago (for charity, not for speed!) and I learned from some experienced runners that you do your best not to think about the fact that you're running 26.2 miles; instead, you focus on each mile marker along the course. When you pass each one, you think only about the next one, and give yourself a pat on the back as you pass each one.

Remember, too, that this program doesn't tell you what to eat, but it gives you basic guidelines for living a healthy life. Each day has a goal (like a mile marker). If you meet your goal, pat yourself on the back and sleep well! If you go over your goals, no biggie, go get 'em tomorrow.
  • markgg50
    Options
    Thanks guys for the positive words, I really appreciate it. I am trying and I need to keep going and get to a place where I dont think that the thirty day mark is coming so i BLOW it. I think that i set up myself for failure and that isnt good at all.
    I am going to try to stay focused on living a healthy life and not being crazy with food.
  • Horskrzy
    Horskrzy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lefty,

Not sure where you're having your issues or how long it's taken to lose the 15 lbs so I'll toss out a few things that have worked for me that may help.

1. Get all junk food out of the house and if you have desk at work, there as well.
    2. Plan your meals in advance and post them the night before or first thing in the morning. This establishes what you have as a cushion right away.
    3. Rabbit snack. Get carrots, celery, fruit, 100 cal snack packs, etc. that you can reach for to fulfill a craving while keeping an eye on your calorie cushion.
    4. If at all possible, try to get in exercise every day. If you can join a gym, do so and go on the way or back from work. Have some exercise equipment at home? Get up earlier and use it. Can't make it to the gym, go for a brisk walk, go up and down the stairs in your house (if you have them!) for 15 minutes, etc. There's a lot of ways to burn off calories so use them and you'll benefit from them. For myself, the time I used to spend on my rear in front of a TV is now transfered to the treadmill (I put a small flat screen up in front of it. Numbs the mind while exercising! :tongue: ) which is a "Win Win" in my book!

In the past 90 days I've gone from a serious junk food junkie to where I'm at now (you can view my diary to get an idea of what's working for me). When I started I would have never believed that I could get away from all the snacks, cravings and portion sizes that I was used to. I was so WRONG. My calorie intake ranges 1200-1500 and my calories burned on just a treadmill look to be averaging 500-600 per day. My perseverance has paid off with an average 2.6 pounds per week loss and I'm even on my best week ever with 4.5 pounds lost in the past 5 days! Woot Woot!

Hope this can help and possible even inspire you to hang in there. It's well worth the gain in overall better feeling, etc.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hey You can do it, I know you can just reach out for support we are here for u. Don't give up and we will all fall off the wagon but what is important is to get back on and ride again!!!! Remember its progress not perfection my friend
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    I know this will inevitably upset someone, but why can you never eat fried food again.
    You will fail if you cut it out completely, I've tried and failed more times than I can count.

However, whats wrong with it once a week, every Friday, or every Saturday. In moderation?

I have ice cream occasionally to, I mean why does everyone attempt to give up things completely?

I am not criticizing anyone's methods, just curious?
  • martind53
    Options
    I know this will inevitably upset someone, but why can you never eat fried food again.
    You will fail if you cut it out completely, I've tried and failed more times than I can count.

However, whats wrong with it once a week, every Friday, or every Saturday. In moderation?

I have ice cream occasionally to, I mean why does everyone attempt to give up things completely?

I am not criticizing anyone's methods, just curious?

DITTO! It's not so much what, as it is how much......
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    [/quote]

DITTO! It's not so much what, as it is how much......
    [/quote]

Of course I an not encouraging anyone to live off Fast Food or fried foods everyday. I do believe the quality of the calories does matter, but I don't think its a big deal to have some fried food occasionally.
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Fried foods. Look for healhy substitutes. Several months ago I made a baked nut encrusted chicken with olive oil spayed on for crispness. Even the kids thought it was fried. For me some fried foods are still a barometer for me. I can eat a donut but if I do I know by history than it is start of a bad pattern. Still I believe it is important to satiate with quality fatening foods in moderation on infrequent occasions. It just can't be regular.l
  • markgg50
    Options
    I am doing well, I feel great and i have to stay this way. THis feeling is great that i have right now, if i am not eating bad then life is good. i have energy and i sleep better because my sleep apnea takes a back seat when i begin to lose weight. Thanks for all the positive comints
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You are so welcome and you are right. I know when I exercise and eat better and work the 12 steps and go to meetings I feel a whole lot better. I also have sleep apnea and it get better as I get better.

Keep on Dancing in the rain to reach our Rainbow
  • markgg50
    Options
    I am doing ok today I am under my calories and i feel great. I want to keep it up and push through and make a difference in my life. the food is tough for me and i hate myself when i eat and eat and eat. i want to just take it one day at a time. It is tough sometimes because when the food is calling my name i have no defense for it and i blow it. hopefully i can keep it up.
  • scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I get the same way Lefty. Since you are a few weeks ahead of me joining this, I'm going to look to you for motivation to keep it going.

(how's that for peer pressure? lol)
  • burstchair
    Options
    Hang in there brother. I just started a week ago. I've loss 100 pounds before only to gain it back. My train of thought is that the temptations and hunger pains only affirms that my body is changing. I would say good luck but luck doesn't take the pounds off. Lol
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    hey bud. don't beat up on yourself. this isn't a win/lose kind of thing. if you don't lose a pound a week (or whatever you signed on for) it's no big deal. hopefully you're eating in a more healthy way....just take it slow. I love the fact you can do a report and it has been showing my steady decline, even though I feel like i plateau for weeks on end. you can do this....
  • mattfitz25
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I have tried time and time again to stick to it and I always fail but this time I really want to stay motivated and I know how hard it can be. I just keep looking at why I want to lose weight and try to think of a time when I was in better shape and it makes me realize that all of those things are more important than eating junk food and not working out.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Lefty,

Not sure where you're having your issues or how long it's taken to lose the 15 lbs so I'll toss out a few things that have worked for me that may help.

1. Get all junk food out of the house and if you have desk at work, there as well.
    2. Plan your meals in advance and post them the night before or first thing in the morning. This establishes what you have as a cushion right away.
    3. Rabbit snack. Get carrots, celery, fruit, 100 cal snack packs, etc. that you can reach for to fulfill a craving while keeping an eye on your calorie cushion.
    4. If at all possible, try to get in exercise every day. If you can join a gym, do so and go on the way or back from work. Have some exercise equipment at home? Get up earlier and use it. Can't make it to the gym, go for a brisk walk, go up and down the stairs in your house (if you have them!) for 15 minutes, etc. There's a lot of ways to burn off calories so use them and you'll benefit from them. For myself, the time I used to spend on my rear in front of a TV is now transfered to the treadmill (I put a small flat screen up in front of it. Numbs the mind while exercising! :tongue: ) which is a "Win Win" in my book!

In the past 90 days I've gone from a serious junk food junkie to where I'm at now (you can view my diary to get an idea of what's working for me). When I started I would have never believed that I could get away from all the snacks, cravings and portion sizes that I was used to. I was so WRONG. My calorie intake ranges 1200-1500 and my calories burned on just a treadmill look to be averaging 500-600 per day. My perseverance has paid off with an average 2.6 pounds per week loss and I'm even on my best week ever with 4.5 pounds lost in the past 5 days! Woot Woot!

Hope this can help and possible even inspire you to hang in there. It's well worth the gain in overall better feeling, etc.
    [1. Get all junk food out of the house and if you have desk at work, there as well.]
    I gotta tell ya, I disagree with this one... I'm eating everything I did before, but carefully watching quantities so I never feel like I'm depriving myself. 5 ritz crackers with 1/2 ounce thin-sliced fontinella cheese or soprasatta for an evening snack..-not a whole sleeve of crackers and big hunks of cheese like I used to... or small piece of torrone.. not huge hunk like I used to... or 3 spearmint leaves-not 8-10 like I used to.. plus some Jello and coffee works for me... I love them all..