Thinking of getting a Wii

Goingnuts2
Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
Wondering whether to purchase a Wii, Xbox, or PS3? Any advise? Are all the exercise games available on all three consoles? I'm thinking Zumba, Dance3, bowling.

Kind of green on this, any advise will be helpful!

Replies

• Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    It depends on your budget really.

I have played on all consoles but only own a Wii fit (with that I have Just Dance 3 and use the Wii Fit game). It was the cheapest console and also with the balance board you can do a whole range of activities as well as measuring your weight/bmi etc. The Wii requires that you hold a controller in one hand, sometimes two. This is what measures your movement. The Wii is also aimed at families so is great if you have kids that you want to get moving more too!

The PSmove requires you also to hold a controller, not as much experience on this though so don't know about additional balance boards if they exist. I do know that a PS3 is a very expensive console if you are only using it as a fitness tool and is aimed at more serious gamers.

The Xbox Kinect is hands free, also voice activated which is pretty cool. This measures your movements and efforts via a camera, is has no way of actually measuring how much effort you are putting in, just that you are moving correctly. The Xbox 360 console is quite expensive at the top end but there are cheaper, lower memory models which aren't too expensive now.

I personally prefer the Wii Fit, its the cheapest by far and can take accurate measurements using the balance board. I do also own the Xbox360 and a PS2 but still chose to purchase a Wii simply for the fitness games... and so far I haven't been disappointed. I considered buying the Kinnect but wanted to data you get from the balance board so for me the choice was simple :)

You cannot get the same games on all 3 platforms, but there are variations of each, although I think Zumba is on all of them :)

I hope this helps!
  • I strongly suggest getting a Wii, I use mine nearly everyday, I have the Wii Fit games with the balance board, they exercisers don't seem very hard but pretty soon you'll be sweating so its fun exercise which is the best in my opinion, I've got the Just Dance games, you can choice to do a workout or pick songs to dance to but it tells you how many calories you've burnt, I have the biggest loser game which I only last about 20 minutes on :s I don't have zumba but I do have it on the kinnect xbox and I think they're the same but I have all the zumba DVDs which are so much fun.
    The best thing about the Wii is everyone want to play on it so you can dance with your friends, have a laugh and be losing weight (",) xx
  • I have a Wii but haven't bought any of the fitness stuff for it. My daughter owns Wii Fit and uses it daily and really likes it so she wants me to get it. Maybe I can find a used one. Would be great for those days I can't get out and walk maybe?
  • lradatz
    lradatz Posts: 61 Member
    I have a Wii, and I love using it and so do my kids... I have Just Dance and Biggest Loser games for my exercise and different games for my kiddos. We like playing the sports games together, mine came w it.
  • Goingnuts2
    Awsome advise! It looks like the Wii is the way to go, I can't wait to get better and have fun exercising :happy:
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 564 Member
    I've had a Wii for a while which I really enjoy playing and using and I just got a Kinect.

One of the upsides of a Kinect is that you end up moving your whole body including arms & legs and you don't need a controller. I only have one game right now but it's given me quite a workout running, jumping, and flailing around like a maniac. Plus, the sensor records you so it's really funny watching yourself afterwards.

Can't go wrong with either though. :-)
  • cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    I love my wii there is so much you can get for it and at a reasonable price plus it helps you keep track of your fitness goals and weight zumba is amazing so is the jillian michaels and wii sports is awesome plus I can workout and have fun ike with tennis and boxing is quite an awesome workout you can even use the balance board to do a step class but change the channel and watch tv and instructions are plyed through your remote its amazing and I use it almost every day yoga aerobic strength training you get it all
  • michybelle
    michybelle Posts: 4 Member
    I have a wii with Wii fit plus, and Zumba fitness 2. Because all of the games require motion, you get a pretty good workout with many of the games made for the console. I even have Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games and am out of breath after 2 minutes trying to get my character to win a race. My husband and oldest daughter (6) LOVE it.
  • JessyeS
    JessyeS Posts: 30 Member
    I would LOVE a Wii! My fiance has a Wii but his mum is "borrowing" it until she buys her own ... She's been borrowing it for about four years now I told him he would never get it back.
  • Goingnuts2
    I would LOVE a Wii! My fiance has a Wii but his mum is "borrowing" it until she buys her own ... She's been borrowing it for about four years now I told him he would never get it back.

LOL....that's a good one! I'm so excited in getting one, sounds like there you don't get bored with all the variety of exercises available.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member

LOL....that's a good one! I'm so excited in getting one, sounds like there you don't get bored with all the variety of exercises available.

I hope you get your borrowed Wii back soon -

Wii Fit Plus is pretty good and I just order Zumba 2 (can't wait!!!), but buy plenty of batteries or a artillery of rechargeable batteries - you'll def need them if you use it a lot.

katie
  • katiebythebay
    It depends on your budget really.

I have played on all consoles but only own a Wii fit (with that I have Just Dance 3 and use the Wii Fit game). It was the cheapest console and also with the balance board you can do a whole range of activities as well as measuring your weight/bmi etc. The Wii requires that you hold a controller in one hand, sometimes two. This is what measures your movement. The Wii is also aimed at families so is great if you have kids that you want to get moving more too!

The PSmove requires you also to hold a controller, not as much experience on this though so don't know about additional balance boards if they exist. I do know that a PS3 is a very expensive console if you are only using it as a fitness tool and is aimed at more serious gamers.

The Xbox Kinect is hands free, also voice activated which is pretty cool. This measures your movements and efforts via a camera, is has no way of actually measuring how much effort you are putting in, just that you are moving correctly. The Xbox 360 console is quite expensive at the top end but there are cheaper, lower memory models which aren't too expensive now.

I personally prefer the Wii Fit, its the cheapest by far and can take accurate measurements using the balance board. I do also own the Xbox360 and a PS2 but still chose to purchase a Wii simply for the fitness games... and so far I haven't been disappointed. I considered buying the Kinnect but wanted to data you get from the balance board so for me the choice was simple :)

You cannot get the same games on all 3 platforms, but there are variations of each, although I think Zumba is on all of them :)

I hope this helps!

Ooh, yeah, forgot about that important point - Wii Fit DOES measure your body measurements, like BMI, not just weight. Also allows you to set goals, etc.

katie
  • mforcemaniac
    mforcemaniac Posts: 18 Member
    Wii is definitely the way to go for fitness. I'm going to get Zumba one of these days, but Just Dance 3 is extremely fun and the Wii fit is really nice for the half hour free step mode and as an added motivator to keep track of your progress/take measurements. Not that I trust the BMI (as a measurement) all that much, but it is nice to see some progress that I've made.
  • We have the Wii & PS3...I did the EA Active for a while, and it's a workout! A lot of squats and lunges and stuff. But I got bored (aka lazy) and stuff. I havent really tried anything else for it fitness wise (I'm killer at MarioKart tho). We just got Dance Dance Revolution for the PS3 with the mat...oh mylanta it's a workout! My best friend and I played for 5 hours straight 2 days in a row...we were sweating up a storm! You can calculate how many calories burned, but since we were sharing a mat it obviously wasn't accurate. So fun and addicting tho! I want to try Just Dance 3 now!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    I own a wii and bought wii fit when it came out with the balance board and all. It's a really great tool since it does give you the ability to weigh yourself with the added bmi tracker. It's also fun and as others have suggested is family oriented. I am curious though about the xbox 360 mainly for its kinect workout thing. I have a friend on here who seems to burn a ton of calories whilst doing their exercises with the kettle ball. However I probably could do that too just buy my own kettle ball and google different exercises to do hehe. I don't own any other fitness games though, for the Wii the next game I'd get is the EA game that comes with the resistance band and heart monitor.
  • MellieR
    MellieR Posts: 34 Member
    The Wii Fit Plus is fun for everyone. I own one and also have a friend who lost 40lbs using it. Note, the coach on Wii, is a little cranky so just be aware if you're sensitive to how hard you're working. It's just as cranky to fit people so, don't take it personally. I also like the Zumba bit i believe its the same for each platform. I've played Xbox with Kinnect and like not having to hold the remote. I think the dance program on the Xbox is cooler than just dance on wii, but I think wii is a better solution for families or a household with various fitness levels and interests.
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Wii
    I don't even have the board. Even just the sports game gives you several different types of workouts that you never think of as workouts until you wake up the next day and can barely move :wink:
    Tennis is great cardio, as is boxing. Boxing also works entire upper body hard out and lower somewhat too. Bowling and baseball works out upper body and golf is ...well... relaxing
    You can get lots of personal trainer games dirt cheap too.
  • katiebythebay
    Received my Just Dance 3 this week, yay!

Now, to get the motivation to play... waiting for privacy, so I can look the fool I know I'll be, when I'm dancing to it...

Just so embarrassed and excited at the same time!!!

Love my Wii.
  • H0neybug
    H0neybug Posts: 47 Member
    We own a Wii and love it as well. The fit board is the way to go and gives you quite the workout while having fun. We also just got an Xbox with Kinect. I enjoy playing the dancing games, and zumba much better on it because it is more accurate at tracking your movements.
  • katiebythebay
    We own a Wii and love it as well. The fit board is the way to go and gives you quite the workout while having fun. We also just got an Xbox with Kinect. I enjoy playing the dancing games, and zumba much better on it because it is more accurate at tracking your movements.

I have to ask - out of both game systems, which do you prefer? I'm sure there's pros and cons to each of them.

I have a friend who is nagging me to buy the xBox Kinect. He says the Sports edition is a real workout.

~katie