locker rooms

Options
OK I know I look like a dude but really? REALLY? Im still getting the confused looks and being asked if I know it's the womens locker room.

Yes, I do know it's the ladies locker room cause your tits gave it away!

I'm here to workout not check you out.

So yeah I'm butch if thats what you call it, I have no boobs and I'm covered in tattoos.

ok I'm done venting thanks for listening

Replies

• dragonflybird
    Options
    Oh the joys of gender stereotyping. Vent all you want :)
  • tegsa
    tegsa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If I had a gym membership, I'm sure I'd get this a lot.

I do get it in public restrooms so I try to avoid them as much as I can. The women will look at me like I'm the most foreign person in the world but luckily they've never called security or anything serious.
    If it's a random public place, I don't even bother correcting them..but most of the time my voice gives it away.
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    People can be insensitive. My mother died from breast cancer. When she was undergoing treatment she was kicked out of a restroom, because it was "for women only". My mother was bald, had had bi-lateral modified radical mastectomies (no boobs), and was dressed as she felt comfortable(baseball cap, jeans, t-shirt, polar fleece vest. It was horrifying to her.
  • SmokinCat
    SmokinCat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was once at a Browns/Bengals game, the Cleveland police followed me into the womens restroom and started pounding on the door to the stall I was in and tryng to get it open. Good times! lol
  • mercurybebe
    Options
    OK I know I look like a dude but really? REALLY? Im still getting the confused looks and being asked if I know it's the womens locker room.

I'm here to workout not check you out.

So yeah I'm butch if thats what you call it, I have no boobs and I'm covered in tattoos.

ok I'm done venting thanks for listening
  • mercurybebe
    Options
    Okay..I am learning how to quote! xo

That is my life. I had an old woman actually block my entry to the bathroom with her body! Her daughter was so embarrassed...but I was amused.

I get dirty looks at the locker rooms, the bathrooms...anywhere I guess my gender identity isn't supposed to be! But I dont really mind anymore...I like being called Sir, I find it amusing to correct people...and I like being able to use the men's room when the ladie's line is too damn long! LOL
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My (legally on wednesday) wife is often called "Sir." Usually it is by older women. She finds it amusing.
  • mercurybebe
    Options
    CONGRATS on your upcoming wedding!!!! Jo and I are planning to get married in the next year now that NY finally passed the law...

I think you just have to laugh sometimes....it is just funny. I dont understand why people feel a need to inform me that I'm in the wrong bathroom...even if I was, who cares??? Both sexes use the same toilets at home right? WTH?

People are just weird...
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to laugh sometimes....it is just funny. I dont understand why people feel a need to inform me that I'm in the wrong bathroom...even if I was, who cares??? Both sexes use the same toilets at home right? WTH?

People are just weird...

I must be weird then, because I really don't like sharing a bathroom with a man. I hate this trend for having unisex toilets in gay clubs, and I also hate it when you're in a gay club and the ladies toilet is full of men. My girlfriend sometimes gets mistaken for a guy, although I can't understand why - I wouldn't say she's butch or andro.
  • camjam89
    camjam89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I must be weird then, because I really don't like sharing a bathroom with a man. I hate this trend for having unisex toilets in gay clubs, and I also hate it when you're in a gay club and the ladies toilet is full of men. My girlfriend sometimes gets mistaken for a guy, although I can't understand why - I wouldn't say she's butch or andro.

From my experience most gay clubs have a unisex bathroom to accommodate for people who are non-binary and don't feel comfortable using either restroom, people who are early in transition and may not pass 100% in the restroom of their choice, drag performers, etc.

I've also never been in a gay club that had just a unisex restroom - they usually have one of each, which is nice for those who want a gendered restroom experience or who want to avoid it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I know, it's not like we're doing our business right there in the open. Well, guys do, I guess, at the urinals. But in the ladies' room you are in your own stall...
  • evie70
    evie70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it much. No butch here, at least not in my looks, but my partner tends to wear her orientation. I notice looks sometimes when we use a restroom together. Oh and forget about shopping and trying on clothes. Usually the uppity ones give the looks.
  • SkinnyKittyKatt
    Options
    THe same thing happens with my girlfriend when we're at the gym together I find it amusing actually. and when other folks figure out "oh wait thats a girl, Oh wait she just kissed her, oh wait their lesbians" Love it. and then when we're working out the guys are all looking like 0-0
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    its the judgment and their feeling of righteousness, that they have some sort of duty to "protect" others from what they dont understand.

My partner finds it amusing, and I suppose I do too to some extent, but it really annoys me that they butt their noses in where they dont belong - how someone dresses, who they are, how they are comfortable in their own skin... it is no one's business but their own.

The dirty looks just get tiring.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    People can be insensitive. My mother died from breast cancer. When she was undergoing treatment she was kicked out of a restroom, because it was "for women only". My mother was bald, had had bi-lateral modified radical mastectomies (no boobs), and was dressed as she felt comfortable(baseball cap, jeans, t-shirt, polar fleece vest. It was horrifying to her.

This. This right here makes me f*cking hate people.
  • jque41
    jque41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is why i dont go to gym's! I know how you feel.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Ok, I just have to say - thank you for saying that! That made my day!!!
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    This infuriates me. How many guys will walk calmly and knowingly into a women's room and do their thing? People need to mind their own damn business.

I've gotten called 'sir' at work a few times (which I find hysterical... 40DDD man boobs, anyone?) but my girlfriend gets this a lot and it bothers her. She doesn't mind too terribly being called 'sir,' but public restrooms are a huge source of anxiety for her. She won't go in unless I'm with her, and gets really self conscious in the locker room at the gym. At first I thought it was just her fear that people were looking, but a lot of the ladies really do stare at her. I give them dirty looks and make faces, which helps ME feel a little better, but I still hate that by that point, they have already made my poor girlfriend feel guilty for being somewhere that she has every right to be.
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am catfish9's girlfriend! I can sympathize with all the ladies who get the stink eye when they enter a place they have every right to be. When I was in high school one girl actually screamed so loud when I entered the ladies room to pee that a security guard came rushing in. He grabbed my arm & restrained me to the nasty bathroom floor. When I showed him my school I.D he felt like such a tool bag... he was lucky I was too much of a coward to press charges.

But this is still something I have to deal with everyday & like Catfish9 says it doesn't bother me anywhere else but the ladies room & locker-room.