Safe to exercise during first stage of LCing?

Options
This is my first post, hi everybody! I starting a low carb diet (less than 50g a day) about a week ago, and I've been doing great so far. I decided to try low carb after I had been "dieting" for 3 months and exercising 4 times a week, with a loss of less than 5 lbs. My body just wasn't responding, even though I was focusing on healthy grains, lots of veggies, and moderate amounts of meat.

My question is.. I don't have much energy or appetite right now, (I'm struggling to make myself eat 1500 calories a day) so is it recommended to continue exercising at the level I was before? :smile:

Before LC, I was going to Zumba classes 2x a week, and brisk walking on the treadmill for about an hour the other 2x a week. Now, I don't feel like I have the energy for my Zumba class this afternoon! Do I need to eat more calories to compensate (even though I feel STUFFED on 1500) on days I exercise?

I am 25, current weight 159, goal weight 140.

Replies

• sansouchi1050
    Options
    my personal experience was that around day 7-10 of starting low carb eating, I felt a little run down and even "weak" during my workout. I think this was an adjustment time for my body. During those few days of transition, I would eat a small amount of extra carbs before my workout ( 4-5 saltine crackers) Once I was able to push through those 3 days, I was back to my usual energy level.
    Some one else may have a better suggestion, but this seemed to work for me.
  • ctrilk
    ctrilk Posts: 12
    Options
    That is exactly how I felt when I went to the gym on Friday.. I just had zero energy and had to push myself to walk at 3.5mph on the treadmill, when before I was LCing I would jog at 5mph for a good portion of my workout. Maybe I'll eat some berries or something with higher carb before I go to zumba today. :) Thanks!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It will pass... I workout 6 days a week without carbing up in advance. Make sure you drink plenty of water, and do go into exercise hungry. Maybe some almonds or a protein shake.
  • MoneySavingLisa
    Options
    When starting low carb, I always seem to start off with fatigue until a few days getting back into things. However, I do notice that if I work out (even if making myself) it seems to make the fatigue go away faster than without exercise. I don't know why.. I've always assumed maybe the exercise helped push me into ketosis faster.
  • ctrilk
    ctrilk Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the comments ladies!! I am definitely in ketosis, I got some of the ketostix and am on the darker pink/almost purple range for two days at least.