Pool time

Options
BigMerl
BigMerl Posts: 4 Member
Is anyone else using a pool to get their exercise in? I have been swimming for a while, but recently started attending some of the pool classes that my gym offers. It is a little strange being the only guy there, but I just go with the flow. I found that some of the workouts they do are pretty extreme and I am sweating in the pool. This Sunday I am going to try Aqua Zumba, after regular Zumba proved to be too much for my knees.

Replies

• EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One of my goals is to lose weight and do a sprint triathlon, so yeah, I do some swimming laps (I'm a new swimmer, so I'm practicing at this point). I love being in the water! :-)
  • Kimbosbc
    Kimbosbc Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have not had an opportunity to do this yet. I just joined my gym last weekend. But I plan to take advantage of the pool and some of the classes. Mine also offers an aqua zumba which I am interested in. Please let me know how it goes. I have not attended any zumba classes yet as they seem to be a little complicated for my lack of rhythm. lol But I plan to go to some soon and learn.
  • BigMerl
    Options
    Now it could have just been the person leading the class, but the Aqua Zumba was just horrible. It was more like an hour of stretching in the pool. I kept staying thinking the workout would start at any time. I will definitely not be back in this class. My pulse never raised, I never felt like I was getting even an ounce of working out. I would have burnt more calories just standing for an hour.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

My physical therapist has recommended water aerobics and even just ("just"! ha!) water walking as exercise for me. I've only had 2 water aerobics classes in my life.

I am working on getting myself to join the gym (need to stop "working on it" and just "do it"!!) - your post is good motivation!
  • BigMerl
    Options
    Walking in the pool is actually great exercise. Using pool dumbells gives you resistance and provides an emergency flotafion device. Pool aerobics classes are hit or miss. They are only as good as the trainer leading them. I normally do a mix of pool aerobics and swimming to meet my goals, along with the weight room. I don't touch cardio gear and don't think I'm missing out on anything but knee pain.
  • dawnrosina
    dawnrosina Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a pool and while the weather is ok, I'm in it and enjoy it for the exercise. It's not big enough to swim laps in but I tread water for specific amounts of time. I am not a good swimmer so although my gym has a pool, I don't go in it because I am no good at laps. I think that the pool would be great for you! And as far as being the only man in there - ENJOY the attention!! You deserve it!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a summer only above ground pool - not big enough to swim laps - but when I am in it (as much as I can be) i swim around and do tread water and try to get a little workout. It is good for relieving stress for me - another goal of mine...
  • EmergencyGraphics
    EmergencyGraphics Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love using swimming as a work out. Ive been out of the pool for a bit now because of an injury but I should be able to jump back in next week. Usually my pool workout consists of laps and switching up the strokes. Occasionally I hop online and find workout ideas. One thing that has helped me stay in the pool longer and workout harder is a waterproof mp3 player.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I found it easyer to do laps with a kick board and I will also go kicks by grabbing the edge and kicking for a set time then break and repeat.