Day 70 Challenge!

Options
shovav91
shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
Today's challenge:
No artificial sweeteners today! The health hazards associated with this are still unclear, but real nonetheless. So ditch the artificial sweeteners today! It is very important to read labels; they may be hiding in things you wouldn't believe (pickles, for example!).
Stevia is OK today, as it is extracted from a plant- it is considered a natural sweetener.
Make a great day MFP!

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am so trying to give it up all together and only use Stevia.
  • MacThin
    Options
    great challenge (and advice too), I'll be extra-careful today !!!
  • Sunshine70Smith
    Sunshine70Smith Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good challenge. I try to avoid artificial sweetners but as you said, they hide everywhere....
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate against artificial sweetners! I am stevia or real sugar all the way! I even convinced some of my coworkers to start using stevia instead of things like splenda or sweet N low!
  • dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I will work hard today and read the label as not to get any in today!

Denise
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I hate artificial sweeteners. Everyone in my office thinks I am nuts. But I won't touch the stuff.

As for looking for them on the labels- I check everything. Funny story- I bought the Quaker Rice Cakes- Carmel Popcorn after checking the label. First three ingredients- Rice, sugar, HFCS. No prob I say to myself. I take them home. Try one- can taste the sweetener. Check the label again... Nope nothing. Agian I eat some. Again I check the label. Since the first three ingredients include sugar and corn sryup I think there is no way that it could be there and that my mind is playing tricks. Finally after checking the label the 10th time, I read all the way to the end and there it was: Sucralose or Aspartime (I dont' remember which)... I am now convinced that since people think that rice cakes are a "diet food" it has to be laced with the crap otherwise people don't think that it is low in calories.

(BTW- I found the some rice cakes for the same calories w/o the sweeteners at Aldis!)
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Me either. I avoid fake sweeteners, fats, etc. as much as possible.

I enjoy my sweets as fresh fruit every day.
  • PRpal
    PRpal Posts: 13
    Options
    Gave up the artificial sweeteners months ago for Stevia. I now provide it at the church where I attend, too. Hoping more people will make the switch!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for Stevia. I have avoided artificial sweeteners today though. No diet drinks - my usual lunch drink. Had water - better for me anyway.
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I already did this!