Has anyone run these marathons?

Options
bert16
bert16 Posts: 725 Member
I'm looking to pick my next marathon and am targeting the June/July timeframe. Has anyone run any of the following marathons? If so, what were your opinions of them?

- Santa Rosa marathon (08/26/12 - a bit later than I want, but will consider)
- Toronto marathon (05/06/12 - a bit earlier than I want, but still in the running)
- Foot Traffic Flat marathon (Portland, OR – 07/04/12)
- San Diego Rock 'n Roll marathon (06/03/12)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Replies

• girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done the Toronto 1/2 and I like the course, and I found the race to be well organized and well run. The 1/2 and full run together for around the first 18km (or 11 miles). There is a good sized hill near the beginning, but far enough in that I felt warmed up enough. After that the course is fairly flat, I've heard there's another good sized hill at the end of the full course too. It's a run I really enjoyed and will definately do the 1/2 again at some point, and quite possibly the full, just not this year. This year I'm training for a full on May 27, 2012...
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Marathonguide.com is my go to source for race reviews.

The only one I know anything about is RnR SD. I've never done it for various reason (I'm not a fan of RnR) and I know they flirt with hot weather every year (as I live 2 hours up the road from there). Having gone to college in SD, I know that 163 freeway is slanted and causes people some problems. The race also seems to be "needlessly point to point." Nothing against PTP, but there should be a reason for it (Boston, NYC, LA's stadium to sea). RnR seems to have the start and finish just far enough apart to make things incovenient.

All that said, I know lots of people love that race. I know they do a nice job with their corral system, which is important to me when I'm trying to run fast.
  • bert16
    Options
    I've done the Toronto 1/2 and I like the course, and I found the race to be well organized and well run. The 1/2 and full run together for around the first 18km (or 11 miles). There is a good sized hill near the beginning, but far enough in that I felt warmed up enough. After that the course is fairly flat, I've heard there's another good sized hill at the end of the full course too. It's a run I really enjoyed and will definately do the 1/2 again at some point, and quite possibly the full, just not this year. This year I'm training for a full on May 27, 2012...

Thanks, girlontherun5! I was born and raised in Toronto, which is how it made my shortlist, but I'm afraid it's earlier than I'd like for my schedule. We'll see. My only knowledge of it prior to your message was my parents getting stuck in traffic trying to pick up my grandmother last year! :laugh:
  • bert16
    Options
    Marathonguide.com is my go to source for race reviews.

The only one I know anything about is RnR SD. I've never done it for various reason (I'm not a fan of RnR) and I know they flirt with hot weather every year (as I live 2 hours up the road from there). Having gone to college in SD, I know that 163 freeway is slanted and causes people some problems. The race also seems to be "needlessly point to point." Nothing against PTP, but there should be a reason for it (Boston, NYC, LA's stadium to sea). RnR seems to have the start and finish just far enough apart to make things incovenient.

All that said, I know lots of people love that race. I know they do a nice job with their corral system, which is important to me when I'm trying to run fast.

Thanks, arc918 - I actually pulled these from the marathonguide.com calendar and read their reviews; just figured you guys would be good for some additional opinions (and potential back and forth if I had questions about anything that was said!). San Diego is probably my top pick from a timing standpoint; and though the weather might be warmer, that's sort of the inherent risk of running a marathon in this timeframe, I suppose. Not sure if it'll be San Diego, but it's good to hear about the corrals, since I'm definitely goign to be running for time (and will actually start in my assigned corral after learning my mistake at Disney, starting much further back than I could/should have)!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I ran the SD R&R Half and Arc has a good point about the 163. You're sort of running sideways and it can be hard on the ankles. The course had more gradual hills then I thought it would (i like flat courses). It's also very crowded, with 30K+ runners, but VERY well organized.

The point to point wasn't really a problem for me. I parked at the off-site parking and took the shuttle to the start, then it dropped me off at the same lot after the race. However, if you're traveling with a support crew (family, friends), it's next to impossible for them to be at both points, and in my opinion, a pain in the butt to even be at the finish (my family stayed at the hotel).

If you're part of the Team in Training, they have a shuttle that will pic you up at your hotel and drop you off at the start and take you back to your hotel at the finish.

There are bands at almost every mile and you can't beat the scenery as the course goes through Balboa Park and ends up at Sea World. The 1/2 and full split around mile 6 or 7 if I remember correctly??

Anyways, I would do it again and actually hit a PR on the course. However, i'm most likely going to do San Francisco in July. How often do you get a chance to run over the Golden Gate Bridge?
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I really need to travel West for a marathon!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Which on did you decide on? I'll be doing the SD RnR half, can't train for summer fulls due to heat where I live.
  • bert16
    Options
    I decided on the San Diego RnR marathon - the timing was the best for me from a training standpoint. Definitely excited now that I once again have the goal posts set in front of me! :smile: