Snacks!!

Options
So one of my major down falls is snacking!! What are some of the snacks you enjoy that are healthy???

Replies

• ktrame71
    ktrame71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tried to reply and not sure if it went through. I like sliced carrots and celery with fat free ranch dressing. Also, sliced cucumber, tomato and string cheese with Garlic Expressions is yummy. Another easy snack is slice apple and cheese or tortilla chips and salsa. Hope that helps!
  • LLeeLB
    LLeeLB Posts: 15
    Options
    I like honeycrisp apples, bananas, cucumbers and hummus (watch what kind you get as some have HIGH calorie content, but the plain kind that they sell at monnettes on glendale is only 37 calories an ounce, which is 2 tablespoons, and it is delish), string cheese. I am a snacker, so I just pack all of my snacks for the day to take to work, and once i am there, I have no choice but to eat healthy. :)
  • pinkrollerskate
    Options
    I think that is my downfall too. I will think my "snacks" are snack-sized, when they are probably meal-sized. Lol!

But I do like almonds and other nuts for snacking, as they are super filling. But I like to put them in ziploc bags ahead of time rather than eating straight from the container so I don't eat too many. I also keep V8 in my fridge at school for a quick liquid snack (I like to pretend I am drinking a Bloody Mary if it has been a particularly stressful day. hehe!). Another thing I am trying this week is that I really like cheese as a snack, but as I mentioned earlier, I think I probably eat too much of it in one serving. So I bought blocks of cheese and then cut them up into serving sizes right when I got home from the grocery store. Most blocks of cheese contain 8 servings so I cut them into 8 equal sized cubes and so now if I pack them in my lunch, I know to just grab one cube for one serving.

I am personally trying to make my lunches compromised entirely of low calorie snacks so I can graze as the day goes on without packing on the calories. Oh and this is maybe not so much a snack but Lisa got me hooked on this salad dressing packet; it is Good Seasons garlic and herb. You mix it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and you have a dressing. I have just been buying pre-boxed green salads (the baby romaine or field greens) and packing that in my lunch. A little of that dressing goes a long way, so I am fairly certain the salad itself is pretty low in calories but is super tasty.
  • LLeeLB
    LLeeLB Posts: 15
    Options
    Another plus I like about making your own salad dressing is that you can get an accurate measurement of the amount of oil going on. I am a vinegar girl anyway, so I can usually do about 1 tsp oil for 3 to 4 teaspoons of vinegar. Probably saves some calories and I just think it is tastier :)
  • iamcheryl
    Options
    Speaking of salad dressing, Becca made fatoush salad a long time ago for a holiday gathering and made homemade dressing with it. Since then, I have been making this dressing for my salads at lunch. It is so yummy. It's basically 1/2 C lemon juice (fresh squeezed, usually about 3 lemons), 1/2 C light olive oil, 2-3 minced garlic cloves, and 1/2 tsp salt. Let it set overnight before using it so that the flavors blend together. I'm sure you could use less olive oil if you wanted it to be lighter.
  • berrymeg145
    berrymeg145 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Those salads sound delicious!! I'm going to make some this week!!! We are ordering out for lunch in thurs and I was already Planning on getting a salad and bringing own dressing. I live fatosh or however you spell it. ThInk my muscle relaxers are getting to me lol!!! I'm with ya Becca. I'm a snack er and I don't know portion sizes. I'm really trying to learn portions and to eat slow. Thanks for all the tips!!! We should get together and do a recipe exchange!!!:)
  • KateRuns313
    Options
    LOVE the recipe idea. All those snackeroos sounds yummy! Good call on the V8! Homemade salad dressing is the way to go. tastes better and not full of weird stuff!