Options
Vegans Meet here

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hello?

Feels like myspace in here :laugh:

Anyway, I figured I'd post here as my nutrition is most similar to vegan. The only thing that I eat that a vegan would not is honey.

Also, I am not fully subscribed to the lifestyle as some of my stuff is made of leather. (wallet, belt, shoes)

Ok, so there's my dirty laundry.

Now the good stuff:

November 1st, 2011 I started my plant based nutrition journey. I'd been losing weight since April 2011, but I was doing the bare minimum. Working out with no real frequency, eating fast food, and only logging "good" days.

From April 2011 to October 31st, 2011 I was able to lose 26lbs using the traditional method of MFP dieting. I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted so long as I could stay within the bounds of my calorie restriction. My weight sat firmly at 375lbs November 1st, 2011 and it has been falling ever since.

I'm proud to report that as of this morning I am down 81lbs to 320lbs. My plant based diet has caused my total cholesterol to fall 30 points to 145.

I am a Dr. Esselstyn disciple and a big fan of the documentary Forks Over Knives.

If any of this seems interesting to you, please add me! :wink:
  • graykeane
    graykeane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey I am a 5 year vegan currently on a bit of a rough patch. I don't know about this but I hope everyone has the same troubles trying to control there vegan ways. Anyway... Looking for people to add to myfittnesspal app. Drop me your email if your interested.
  • JayneTraub
    JayneTraub Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been vegan for 12 yeras now. I am married to the world's strictest vegan and really I became vegan because of him. Gradually overtime it became my own personal choice. I have been known to sneek the odd piece of non-vegan cheese if I get the chance:blushing: but I can't stand the taste of normal milk, butter or eggs anymore!

I think it is hard enough to lose weight as it is without being vegan :ohwell:

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like support. I am fairly new to this but I guess we are all in this together, so to speak!

Oh and btw I live in Western Australia where being vegan can be a challenge sometimes!

Jayne
  • jen3355
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new here and also a vegan, as much as I can be. I try to adapt to the lifestyle of no leather, but sometimes I get a gorgeous leather breifcase from my dad for xmas and I couldnt turn it away! Basically I'm vegan whenever possible (at home) and a vegetarian when I'm out at restaurants or dinner at a friends, just because I dont wanna be "that guy" or make people resent vegans even more. (I get picked on a lot for it, I'm sure you all know what I mean!) The second I say I'm vegan or vegetarian people get defensive even though I havent said anything! haha, oh well, anyways, I've been vegan over a year now and made the switch the same time I quit smoking. So, double YAY!!! Now I want to lose some of the extra weight I gained by doing so. Glad I found this group! Please feel free to add me :)
  • nana1703
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new here, I've been a lifelong vegetarian (because of my family). However, for many years I was eating way to much of the "good stuff", carbs, sugar, too much cheese, etc. I was vegan for a time then went back to vegetarian a long time ago.
    This is my second try at being vegan. It's been only two days now, but Im supper happy about it. I'm currently doing a juice fast detox.

It's great to have other vegans/vegetarians in here! Feel free to add.
  • AelaTheHuntress
    Options
    Yay for vegans! Oh and yay for chubby vegans. And people always tease and say we only eat grass and tree bark! Lol!
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been vegan for about 3 years. It started as an experiment to help my IBS. It kind of helped but I ate crappy food and slowly gained 10 pounds in the past year. Vegan food is soo good!

Now I am eating better. Lately I have questioning how "easy" it is to not be vegan. But I don't think I can go back. I am vegan all the way, except local honey that I eat to help with my allergies. I don't use leather, wool, etc. But I don't waste, either. If you bought it before you were vegan, either donate or use until you can't anymore. I am a total locavore and borderline hippie. =)

I just went out to TGI Fridays tonight with a friend and it's a disgrace that restaurants don't cater to every lifestyle. I don't care about being "that girl" because I know I am healthy and when I lose this weight, I can prove it even more.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    November 1st, 2011 I started my plant based nutrition journey. I'd been losing weight since April 2011, but I was doing the bare minimum. Working out with no real frequency, eating fast food, and only logging "good" days.

From April 2011 to October 31st, 2011 I was able to lose 26lbs using the traditional method of MFP dieting. I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted so long as I could stay within the bounds of my calorie restriction. My weight sat firmly at 375lbs November 1st, 2011 and it has been falling ever since.

I'm proud to report that as of this morning I am down 81lbs to 320lbs. My plant based diet has caused my total cholesterol to fall 30 points to 145.

I am a Dr. Esselstyn disciple and a big fan of the documentary Forks Over Knives.
    Go you!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Fellow veghead, here. Decided to go vegan on January 3rd, 2010 and am loving it. However, my diet clearly isn't what it could be and I'm on a mission to improve that. (Too many chocolate chip cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance!) I wouldn't mind having some more vegan/veggie friends, if anyone wants to add me. I'm always interested in seeing what others do for meals. :smile:

I often feel a bit like a fraud, being vegan and yet still 50 lbs overweight. In early 2010, my dad switched to a low-fat vegan diet following Dr. Barnard's books and has since lost a substantial amount of weight and has dropped at least two of his three blood pressure medications. And his doctor is no longer talking in terms of "when" he develops diabetes. Super proud of him, and I'm hoping to follow his lead to better health. Thankfully, I don't have any medications to get off of, nor am I pre-diabetic. But I wouldn't mind kicking my PCOS to the curb.

In other randomness, I recently discovered the deliciousness that is a tofu scramble. Does anyone else make these? So freaking good! A friend of mine introduced me to hers at a potluck, where it had kale and mushrooms in it, and it was divine! My recreations have so far involved the use of firm tofu (which crumbles perfectly!), sweet chili sauce (yum!), tamari, ground flax, nooch, and the occasional Field Roast smoked apple sage sausage -- which makes an awesome combination and lasts for 2-3 breakfasts. I have yet to try any recipes which involve making the taste more "eggy". If you make these, what do you put in yours? I'd love to try out new combinations.
  • carole1940
    Options
    Hi everyone

I recently became vegetarian although I do still eat fish! My daughter, her husband and children are all vegan and when I am with them I eat only vegan. I have been on mfp for about 2 weeks but I am finding dieting really quite hard and would welcome any new friends for support. I find it easy to support others and give advice but when it comes to myself that is a different matter :frown:

This year my husband and I emigrated from the UK to live in Australia to be closer to our daughter and her family. Although we love it over here, I still miss my family and friends and I think this makes me comfort eat. :grumble:

Anyway I would be happy to hear from anyone who wants to add me. :smile:

Thanks

ps my daughter and son-in-law are also on mfp so I do have some support!

Carole
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, feel free to add me as a friend! I love seeing people's diaries and how they get in the nutrients they need as vegans!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I can call myself a vegan yet, still in my first 30 days. I have been eating plant-based for a little longer than that but am now going out of my way to avoid non plant-based foods in social situations.
  • mekhetling
    mekhetling Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :) I've been vegan for just over a year now, and veggie for three years before that! I'm new to MFP though, and I would love some support or input from other vegetablists on balancing those cursed carbs with a vegan lifestyle :)
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over a year and have been trying desperately hard to be vegan for about the last two months. In my cooking, it's no problem but I have a lot of trouble when it comes to eating out at restaurants, going to families houses, going to parties etc. I'm so worried about being that person that 'doesn't eat anything' or 'oh god, what is Sam going to eat'.

OH and I wish someone would have warned me that going vegan is similar to a detox because I have been EXHAUSTED!!!! I finally googled my symptoms and found so many other transitioning vegetarians that felt tired because their body was going through a type of detox.

Always looking for more vegan/veggie friends to share support, recipes, etc!

Sam
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Sam, here is a book that might be helpful:

The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately . It's on Amazon and your local library might have it either as a book, or an e-book if you like that.
    A lot of it you would know about, being vegetarian, but she has some good tips for dealing with families, parties and holidays. And she has pep talks on how important it is to stick to what you feel is best, without being ugly about it.
    You can friend me if you want. Be sure to eat some protein-beans, tofu, quinoa, since you're cutting out dairy.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and a vegan for I don't know how long. I've gone through periods where I was eating a vegetarian but not vegan diet (such as when I was on a mandatory food plan in college and could barely eat vegetarian as it was--things have gotten so much better in that area in the last 10 years. Veganism is not a "You're a what?" anymore.) I can't imagine any reason at this point that I would ever stop being a vegan--the animal suffering would weigh too heavily and to be honest, the food itself grosses me out now (not so much finished products like a brownie but thinking of the individual ingredients.)

I don't mind being the PITA going out or at family gatherings. People are used to me now, and even the people who don't know what else to do still scoop out some vegetables and set them aside before adding butter. It's appreciated, and I'm polite about it. I always eat before going somewhere so it's not a problem. I often also just bring my own food. People stressed a lot in the beginning, but now even the most confused head scratcher accepts it. Restaurants are a pain, but the people I go out to eat with (which I don't do much of anyway) have no problems going to restaurants where we know there is an option for me. If they wanted to go elsewhere, I'd get a salad and not fuss about it.
  • lobsteriffic
    Options
    Greetings from a fellow vegan! Vegan for 4 years, vegetarian for 10 years before that. I signed up on MFP awhile ago but didn't really use my account. Just getting into the swing of things now so feel free to add me - I'd like more vegan buddies. :)
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 7ish years and vegetarian for 16...i'm a certified natural chef (which means i got to stay home on chicken and fish days!) and worked as a raw vegan dessert "baker" for several years. Ive been doing p90x and p90x2, trying to build muscle...I've had some success, but decided to try tracking my food on MFP so I could really see if I'm getting enough protein (ugh! I can't believe I've become one of those people!).
  • LRose5002
    Options
    Hi all! It's really great to read all your posts-- there are so many I identify with :smile:
    I've been vegan for about 3 years, but it's something I've struggled with a little lately, though I'm not sure why. Eschewing meat is no problem, but I've recently been making poor choices with eggs and dairy. I am working to get back on track, which I WILL do.
    Being a carb-aholic and relatively sedentary have taken a toll on my weight recently- to the tune of about 25 lbs. in 7 months :embarassed:
    I've been counting my calories for two weeks now. My partner is joining me (which is GREAT! for my motivation) and I've dropped a few pounds, but I am still struggling with cutting down on my alcohol (I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine most evenings) and upping my activity. Between the job, family and keeping track of what I'm putting in my body (This takes a lot a time!) I have little motivation left for the gym. I think having some support would be helpful, so here I am. :flowerforyou:
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Hey Everybody Check out and spread the word about the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart! It's promoted through the PCRM and based on the research of Neal Barnard. A super awesome opportunity!!!