What time of day are you doing your workout?!

Options
2fit4fat
2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
just curious..... Has anyone ever read anything about the best time of day to workout?! (if there is one?)

When are you all doing the shred?!

Replies

• xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I found I have the most energy anytime after breakfast and before at least 4pm. It is also the time when my son takes his long nap, so that is the perfect time for me to workout.
    I guess it is when you have the most energy for yourself. I hate working out after dinner, I always feel so sluggish and I can only do one workout. If I do it in the morning or afternoon, I am able to go for two or three more rounds!
  • tosh1969
    Options
    Hi guys, I try to do my workouts in the mornings. Then if I feel like another, I'll do it around 4 to 5 pm. I was always told that if you can get in done first thing you've set your body to burn from the start of the day and you won't be able to find any excuses during the day not to do it. Works for me lol.
  • fitnfuntastic
    Options
    I find first thing in the morning really hard, I feel like a zombie for the rest of the day, although I've heard that its the best time t work out too. For me the best time is definitely the afternoon -- I burn more calories, sometimes up to double, and I'm assuming that's because I have the stamina to go harder, more so than in the morning when I feel groggy and sluggish. But I've always been a night owl, so I think that's all part of it.
    I guess it's a matter of trying out each option for a few weeks at a time and see which works the best for you. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • colleen1106
    colleen1106 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to do the shred as soon as i get up, right around 5am.. Then when I get home from work I do some thing else. I like the idea of having some exercise in before work so that way if something comes up after work I don't feel as bad lol
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like to workout before breakfast. I am not talking crazy early, but somewhere between 8 and 11. It seems to give me a lot of energy. I am a lucky one that doesn't have to go to work until late morning. I have been doing some pilates and calisthenics in the evening as well. I find that later workout more tiring than anything and helps me sleep.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I found I have the most energy anytime after breakfast and before at least 4pm. It is also the time when my son takes his long nap, so that is the perfect time for me to workout.
    I guess it is when you have the most energy for yourself. I hate working out after dinner, I always feel so sluggish and I can only do one workout. If I do it in the morning or afternoon, I am able to go for two or three more rounds!

I agree. Personally, after dinner is the worst for me. You don't really want to do it before you go to bed either, because you're gonna end up wide awake just laying there! If time permits, work out after breakfast. Some people like to work out, then eat breakfast- I feel like I might puke if I do that. It depends on your schedule and what works best for you.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I like to workout before breakfast. I am not talking crazy early, but somewhere between 8 and 11. It seems to give me a lot of energy. I am a lucky one that doesn't have to go to work until late morning. I have been doing some pilates and calisthenics in the evening as well. I find that later workout more tiring than anything and helps me sleep.

Wow! It's the complete opposite for me lol. Working out makes me feel energetic and wide awake, so I can't fall asleep! I guess that's why everyone's different :)
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been doing them in the morning but some days, like tomorrow, I'll have to do them in the afternoon. I prefer morning though, just to get it out of the way.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm doing mine in the evening when my husand gets home and we do it together, I could do it before he goes to work, but I'm too lazy to get up early! (if our son isnt up, I'm not getting up!)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person at all. I will hit that darn snooze as many times as I think I can get away with! Although I have considered trying to get up in the morning and workout to see how my body would react but I just cant push myself to get out of bed!

My husband and I are also doing C25K and we do that in the evening. I am doing 30DS after we get home from the gym. It actually wears me out and I think I sleep better.

Who knows, if I get better sleep maybe I'll be tempted to get up in the morning sometime and give it a try!
  • bkbabe99
    bkbabe99 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I work overnights so for me the best time to do it is right after I get home in the morning. This way I get it out of the way and can knock out to bed. If I'm off that night, I might add another workout to my day.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I work overnights so for me the best time to do it is right after I get home in the morning. This way I get it out of the way and can knock out to bed. If I'm off that night, I might add another workout to my day.

Same here. I can't get out of bed early at night before work so I either go to the gym straight after work or come home and do my 30DS (which I'm hoping to get back into). Working third shift really sucks... completely messes up your schedule.
  • scheerlady1122
    Options
    I usually try to workout during my son's first nap of the day. When we go to the gym we'll go right after he wakes up from his first nap. I have a lot more energy earlier in the day and I'm more likely to get it done if I don't procrastinate!
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    I'm an evening person so I usually have dinner at 4pm and do the workout at 6pm. That's when I feel the most upbeat so it's been going quite well :-)
  • simplymily
    Options
    I get lazy after dinner so anytime before then is when I workout..
  • m2agm
    m2agm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have an infant and a 9 year old and my husband travels, so while I would love to do it in the am, its nearly impossible with schedules and getting everyone moving in the morning, so I wait until the baby is in bed. It's not ideal but for now, it has to be this way
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's summer here - so I do my exercise after dinner when it's cooled down a bit. I'm totally not a morning person, so getting up early is not for me. I don't even think about exercise till at least 7.30pm - the sun doesn't go down till 8.30pm this time of year, so it's the perfect time to get out for a walk/jog. I generally do the 30DS around 9-10pm.
  • jalysia
    jalysia Posts: 43
    Options
    I find it easiest to do mine 30DS after I get the older two kids in bed (typically around 9 or 9:30ish except on Biggest Loser night, lol). I give my husband the youngest and then I get crackin!!! It works out great bc I don't have the distraction of my kids, I'm still wide awake, and afterwards I have time to drink some water and relax for a bit before my baby girl and I head to attempt "nite nites".